Author Topic: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?  (Read 266989 times)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Re: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?
« Reply #740 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:08 AM »
Des Morgan said:

you see at May 2010 just as the £250,000 was handed over, DC was paying only essential bills and that from an overdraft facility.

Let us ponder these "essential bills". Office rent, er no, that was free. Hardware er no, no more lamposts were having equipment fitted by then. (I'm sure SCS can confirm this.) Advertising er no, the only advertising we've seen is the vibrant quotes of Rod and Rikki in the press, which was free.
Staff salaries er no. Despite Rikki claiming that his pRodject was employing people we know that, apart from sub-contracting the installation work to SCS, it wasn't.

So what does that leave us with? Director's salaries? Directors expenses?

Into this business arrangement someone then poured £250,000. Team, you have one guess as to where that money went.

What's it all about?

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #741 on: October 28, 2011, 08:34:39 AM »
as Rod reminded us all in his column they are the professional journalists.

and we are the 'citizen correspondents' who by dint of not being professional journalists do not present both sides of the argument and cannot separate 'fact' from 'opinion'

The Swindon Adver will never ever hold Coun Bluh to account - they reportnews, in the past tense. The adver is not staffed with investigative journalists, indeed I doubt that the number of journalists left in the news room would enable any one of them to actually 'stay' on a story for more than a week.

The essence of the Swindon Advertiser can best be recognised it the papers title.

It benefits Coun Bluh to have a supine press and docile media.  Even Graham Mack and Lee Stone have their 'hands tied'

Sometimes, TS can be a bit too close to the knuckle in its output - to counter that some Councillors have only a fleeting relationship with the truth when it comes to the things they say and indeed promise.

I have just written to Coun Small asking why it is that questions I asked at the 4 October Scrutiny remain unanswered. This si the 11th occasion i have had to ask for answers and i guess I will, not for the first time be asked to re-submit my questions as 'they will have been lost'  Of course Councillors will then accuse me of asking too many questions, conveniently forgetting that my previous questions were unanswered.

Apologies are fine but I think the issue has become a little personal.  Gavin, Stephen - democracy is not being practised within the hallowed halls of the Civic Offices on yuor watch!

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #742 on: October 28, 2011, 08:40:42 AM »
Let us ponder these "essential bills". Office rent, er no, that was free. Hardware er no, no more lamposts were having equipment fitted by then. (I'm sure SCS can confirm this.) Advertising er no, the only advertising we've seen is the vibrant quotes of Rod and Rikki in the press, which was free.
Staff salaries er no. Despite Rikki claiming that his pRodject was employing people we know that, apart from sub-contracting the installation work to SCS, it wasn't.

So what does that leave us with? Director's salaries? Directors expenses?

Into this business arrangement someone then poured £250,000. Team, you have one guess as to where that money went

Or to quote an impeccable source:

"The Council has had visibility throughout of the type of spend being incurred, i.e. office costs, marketing, web design, network support and equipment.  This information is not in itself sufficient to ascertain which of these costs were incurred in relation to the Highworth pilot.  An assumption can reasonably be made that most costs did relate to this element, as it was the primary area of focus, but the company was also engaged in discussions and technical assessments with parties outside Swindon.  These were an accepted part of the business plan, which envisaged sales outside Swindon.  Only the company can confirm how costs should be apportioned across the different activities"

You may think having had sight of the Manangement Accounts for December through to June the information was suffcicient to separate Highworth costs from any other. You would also imagine that Coun Perkins himself as the person 100% resposnible for ensuring SBCs £250,000 was not frittered away would know - indeed he declared that he 'did know' and that he would be happy for us to know - once again Coun Perkins says one thing and does another.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #743 on: October 28, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »
From an impeccable source:

but the company was also engaged in discussions and technical assessments with parties outside Swindon.

So, return train-fare for 2 to Bathgate, 2 Jock pies with peas and 2 pints of heavy for lunch, 2 fish suppers and 4 pints of heavy for dinner and maybe finish the evening at "The Crewn.".....£250,000. Kerching!

The "technical assessments" couldn't have taken long because we can find no one in Digital City (UK) Ltd that could assess the impedance of a pin-head.
What's it all about?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #744 on: October 28, 2011, 09:36:06 AM »
Does anyone think the accounts promised by Councillor Garry Perkins will ever be filed with Companies House?

If not what action can be taken to ensure this information is made available within the public domain?

I cannot believe that there is any way in which he can get out of this situation without giving us the information we require.

Don't worry Garry wherever you stand for Council you will be asked what you did with £250,000 of our money, so why not publish the details now and avoid some of the pain?

All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #745 on: October 28, 2011, 10:58:22 AM »
Does anyone think the accounts promised by Councillor Garry Perkins will ever be filed with Companies House?

If not what action can be taken to ensure this information is made available within the public domain?

http://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/insolvencyprofessionandlegislation/dearip/dearipmill/chapter26.htm

Investigations hotline

You can call the hotline on 0845 601 3546 to:

report misconduct by a disqualified director or an undischarged bankrupt illegally acting in the management of a limited company, or
    to complain about a company or the conduct of a director of a company that is still trading.

The Companies Investigation team at The Insolvency Service may help.

:popcorn: :coffee:
What's it all about?

Offline Steve Wakefield

if you recall is wifi 2 to be signed today?

What I do seem to remember from the start of this in 2009 is that the loan made  to DC by SBC is due to be repaid at the end of October 2011.  What I do know will happen on Monday 31st October 2011, apart from being the last day of October 2011; it is All Hallows Eve.   >:D

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #747 on: October 28, 2011, 05:20:54 PM »
Another significant event will overcome us as well Steve. You'll be tripping over things in the street on the way home from work, as the clocks go back this week-end and it will be dark early.

(I bet some wish the clocks would go back 3 years!! But they'd probably still act like fools, even with hindsight.)
What's it all about?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #748 on: October 30, 2011, 06:14:34 PM »
Does anyone actually believe the £400,000 loan from the Council to Digital city UK Ltd., along with outstanding interest will manifest itself tomorrow Monday October 31st , being the deadline for the repayment thereof?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #749 on: October 30, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »
Oooooh! Me first, me first! (I'm jumping up and down with my hand in the air, straining with eagerness).

No.

Accounts?

No.

The chances of The Lone Director having an Arnie 'Total Recall' moment.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100802/

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #750 on: October 31, 2011, 12:40:14 AM »
Does anyone actually believe the £400,000 loan from the Council to Digital city UK Ltd., along with outstanding interest will manifest itself tomorrow Monday October 31st , being the deadline for the repayment thereof?

Nope....

.....And neither will the accounts suddenly appear:

Got Signal

31st October 2011 has been ripped off the desk calendar and.....?
« Reply #751 on: November 01, 2011, 08:28:04 AM »
In October 2009 Swindon people were being boasted to assured that by 1st November 2011 not only would they all have free wifi, and not only the loan would have be repaid the council would have a handsome £700k profit paid in towards council services.  Was Rod Bluh the only one who believed it? 

If he was not a fictional character would Jim Royle be saying  today free Wifi 400K and 700K Profit My Ar*e?

* I wish to make it clear for those that do not know who Jim Royle is, he is  a Manchunian fictional character from a BBC comedy.  :2funny:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Royle_Family

Anyone remember another quote about nuclear technology.. electricity too cheap to meter?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_cheap_to_meter

Too cheap to meter is that political spin for free?

Where's our money! Where's our money, Where's our money! Said it three times will it now appear magically out of a hat?  :wink:

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #752 on: November 01, 2011, 09:18:43 AM »
I think at the time more political priorities were distracted as a lot of political interest was raised  about the story that Monty got locked in the Civic?  :wink:
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Got Signal

« Reply #753 on: November 01, 2011, 09:43:33 AM »
Politicians are often distracted, but consistently remain in denial about tragic political sideshows.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #754 on: November 19, 2011, 09:51:40 AM »
I continue to be surprised at how information on the original deal is still 'leaking' into the public arena. The Wi Fi project, its financial propriety, the honesty of the business proposition and above all the integrity of those who claim to be mortally offended at any suggestion they may have acted unwisely, without knowledge and in some cases with a degree of assinine stupidity is constantly being challenged.

In March 2011 Mr Hunt and Coun Perkins sat before the scrutiny Committee and told the assembled Company that they had confidence in the future of Digital City - that was just days before Mr Hunt was declared a bankrupt and Coun Perkins confirmed he would be happy for us all to know on what the £400k was spent (but he's not telling) and that the doom mongers would be proved wrong.

Now there is 'new evidence that Cllr Edwards attended a meeting with relevant officers on 2nd February 2011 and was briefed about the issues facing Digital City UK and whether the Council should seek to recover its loan. 

I sat through the Scrutiny meeting in March 2011 which was supposed to be Mr Hunt and Coun Perkins briefing the committee on the progress of DC and can attest that at no point were any concerns about the recovery of the £400k raised.

Clearly there were some.  This added to the meeting which took place in January 2010 and the stated view of senior officers that there were concerns about the ability of DC to perform in line with the original business plan, could lead to a hint of 'cover up' within the serried ranks of senior officers and councillors within the hallowed portals of Euclid Street.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #755 on: November 19, 2011, 05:34:00 PM »

Now there is 'new evidence that Cllr Edwards attended a meeting with relevant officers on 2nd February 2011 and was briefed about the issues facing Digital City UK and whether the Council should seek to recover its loan. 

I sat through the Scrutiny meeting in March 2011 which was supposed to be Mr Hunt and Coun Perkins briefing the committee on the progress of DC and can attest that at no point were any concerns about the recovery of the £400k raised.

So Des are you saying that Councillor Mark Edwards was acting incompetantly or on instruction? 

I think we need to know!

and this stinks more and more at every turn of events and provides those who seek to challenge, at the next election, the ability of the present administration as to their competance to manage anything on behalf of the people of Swindon.

Come clean now Rod and stop the speculation once and for all by publishing exactly what happened to our money, an investment for which you were duped into providing in your enthusiasm and the results of which you have never apologised. 

Free Wi fi my ar**.................!!  It cost us £400,000 and has not been provided except for a few months and a few people in Highworth.  What an expensive and catotrophic mistake?

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #756 on: November 23, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »
This Wi-Fiasko is criminally laughable, but has anyone been made accountable?

NO.

Do people in Swindon  know about it or even care.. :WTF:

Ye.. err no..

Has our MP talked about it in da' House? :wakeup:

Nope.

Is there any point bitching about the money or split milk.. :argh:
no

Swindon was scammed.. not by Tricky but by it's lack lustre councillors and ultimately party loyalists and the disinterested non voters.
There are plenty more scammers waiting in line.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #757 on: November 23, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »
Karsten - Accountability is still being pursued, a direct question on the submission of the accounts was asked of the Deputy Leader of the Council who is one of the Directors of Digital City last night. You may or not know he promised to meet the deadline for accounts submission.

The wi-fi debacle does have reasonance on the doorstep. I am not sure if you venture far from you street however Town wide it is recognised as this Admistrations waste of public money. They also do not understand the logic of recoverability of losses from someone different offering services for business. The people of Swindon were promised Borough wide free wi-fi access and that was not delivered. Only some disengenious politicians would seek to dress up the new scheme as being anyway connected to the previous scheme.

Our current MP's may not be asking questions but our former and prospective MP is and has.

If the public raises questions on public money use councillors should be answerable and I do not see that as bitching

Regarding your last point I think there are good councillors but the lack of backbench influence has been noticeable and those very few voices within the Administration that did raise their voices now seem to have left the party or council. If you think those responsible are the scammers that is your view however I thought you also sought to become a councillor or have I got that wrong

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #758 on: November 23, 2011, 06:51:37 PM »
SBC doesn't follow the rules... 
3 councillors gave away the 400k..

one civil servent decided to urgently 'repair' the MI wasting 1.2m

FOI's are excused with "not in public interest" or "no data accessible/held".

I had a look at the new temporay 'Park'.. is anyone satisified with wasting 150k on that patch of grass?

I have stood in elections yes.. because I think most bollocticians lie, cheat and are self orientated not public.  :o
I stand as a protest vote.  and its become sort of a hobby.
People aren't interested in voting and voter apathy is a big problem in my opinion.
The goverment claim unions should have minimum % of votes before a strike vote can be deemed legal.
Would they transfer that to an election?
First time I stood only 18.5% voted in Central.

MPs != honourable members     NOT

I was comparing Digital City to Springfields MonoRail  as soon as I read about the giveaway 'loan'.
It was an obvious scam.   
I registered on the website about 2 yrs ago.. never contacted.
But I bet you not one person will be blamed or have to refund the loan.
Everyone one knows who should be blamed, but I bet they still get voted in next year, unless we have a Swindon Spring and occupy ??   forget it. :-(

I do go out and talk to people..   
most are bored if you mentions SBC and don't care about the Wi-fi scandal..
they all have ADSL broadband anyway so why should they.
It's the councillors that don't go out...
or let you contact them.   How many of them just give out a mob. telephone number?
No address or email.

You only see them once a year..

sometimes on TV raging  :tickedoff: against a poor misguided BBC reporter..

Offline Muggins

« Reply #759 on: November 24, 2011, 09:24:32 AM »
"I stand as a protest vote.  and its become sort of a hobby.

Do you think that is the act of a responsible citizen then Karsten?"

It maybe that people are interested in the Wifi, they just choose
not to share that with you becasue they know you are an hobbiest politican rather than a real one.

Certainly when asked everyone I know has an opinion on it or at least know about it.
More so I would say than any other subject in Swindon, after all everyone was promised free wifi for the investment.  The word FREE usually get's peoples attention.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)