Author Topic: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?  (Read 267143 times)

Offline Anne Snelgrove

Re: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?
« Reply #500 on: August 25, 2011, 12:18:47 PM »
Dear All

Apologies for being away so long, good to be back.

I've been following the wifi saga with interest, having been lambasted myself by Tory councillors for my Adjournment Debate in Parliament, which questioned the basis on which the council made its investment in the Digital City: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200910/cmhansrd/cm100322/debtext/100322-0016.htm#10032238000001
Somewhat ironically, the date of my debate was 22 March 2010 - almost a year to the day before Rikki Hunt's bankruptcy. 
Have re-read my speech, I stand by every word, particularly the final section which deals with the potential for corruption in the secretive process adopted by the few council members and officers involved. Got Signal, you can see from my speech that Hitesh Patel was indeed a Director of Digital City in March 2010, as Rikki Hunt confirmed in a letter to me dated 2 March 2010.

I am concerned that neither of Swindon’s current MPs appears to have taken up the issue of the relationship between Lead Councillors, Chief Officers, Digital City, and the various other companies associated with the wifi scheme. At least, they have not publically taken it up: it is for them to demonstrate whether they have done so officially in private with the Leader and Deputy Leader, the Chief Executive and relevant Ministers (and I don’t mean informal conversations in passing with friends or councillors from their own party). If they have done so, they should make the contents of written material and responses public and give details of any formal meetings held.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #501 on: August 25, 2011, 12:46:38 PM »
Sorry I have not contributed to the thread recently, all is explained by a bout of ‘Incineratoritis’ brought on by RSI in my delete finger. I have been fortunate not suffer any repercussions because my ‘collective forgetfulness’ which is part of my ‘group amnesia syndrome’ obscures me of all knowledge of past events.

Off to pay my Shred-it invoice now, oops there I go again forgetting where I put the money; I know this does not seem plausible but it is all part of the business plan, anyway I will just deny it.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #502 on: August 25, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »
Hi Anne - good to see your very apposite contribution.  I think it fair to say that no one spared the horses when it came to being less than polite about you at times. I reckon sometimes it must have hurt but politics is a rough trade at times. However, i think we all agree with Russell that sometimes people do get over excited and say things they immediately regret.  The measure of the man or woman is being able to say 'sorry' and for the offended to be able to say ' thanks and lets move on'

Offline Anne Snelgrove

« Reply #503 on: August 25, 2011, 02:56:11 PM »
Ha ha! Thanks Des. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.... :crazy2:

We've all moved on but the main point is we care about Swindon and what happens to our town. Hope the council comes clean about what happened with wifi because covering up will cost even more, both financially and reputationally.

ph1lc

« Reply #504 on: August 25, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »
The problem Anne is that unfortunately your Adjournment Debate was in the run up to the election, not your fault at all.
What that meant was that there was an awful lot of politicking going on, which meant that when the local Tories lambasted you the neutrals amongst us took both sides to be a political row.
Oh for the benefit of hindsight.

Offline Anne Snelgrove

« Reply #505 on: August 25, 2011, 05:32:45 PM »
True ph1lc - it's impossible to predict when you'll get a debate in the HoC. I'd applied for one several weeks running and just squeaked in before Parliament prorogued.

At least it's all down in print forever!

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #506 on: August 25, 2011, 08:10:12 PM »
At least it's all down in print forever!

Quite correct Anne. With your words recorded in Hansard and there's a bit more recorded as answers, or not, to Freedom of Information requests in "What Do They Know". Then of course what's in that other mighty record, "Talk Swindon".

If it were me, I'd have stuck my hands up long ago and thrown myself on the mercy of the good citizens. Still if it is going to be "Victory or Martyrdom", let it be so!
What's it all about?

Got Signal

Is Oblivion Near?
« Reply #507 on: August 26, 2011, 08:24:38 PM »
Is it oblivion?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9219801.Wi_fi_oblivion_for_Digital_City/

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #508 on: August 26, 2011, 09:37:52 PM »
I hope so.
I'm getting impatient for the hanging.  :popcorn:
Proud to be gone

Got Signal

SSEP Are they Out Of Order For Accepting Their Chairman's Resignation?
« Reply #509 on: August 27, 2011, 08:17:50 AM »
Listen from 11.30 into recording. http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/wiltshire/mack/mack_20110826-1101a.mp3

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: SSEP Are they Out Of Order For Accepting Their Chairman's Resignation?
« Reply #510 on: August 27, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
Listen from 11.30 into recording. http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/wiltshire/mack/mack_20110826-1101a.mp3

I have just listened to the Graham Mack Rikki Hunt interview above and urge all of you who have not done so to listen.  It makes fascinating listening.

I have heard a range of excuses in my time but Rikki should be in show business, mind you could he make a success of that either?  He has such a mind blowing range of excuses that it asks the obvious question as to whether you would buy a second hand car from this man?

Firstly his comment about unfortunate investments and the consequential tax bill.  It is my understanding and experience of the revenue that they balance success against failure and you have to have enjoyed a benefit to be taxed on it.  Are you actually denying that you made a net gain Rikki and that the Revenue are unfairly pursing you against your loses?  No, of course, they are not the tax bill refers to your net income!

How loyal are you to your friends when you withold the fact you declared yourself bankrupt on the 8th March this year, when they will have to sustain the political fallout over your personal predicament?

Digiital City and Avidity are your companies and you persuaded the Council that A £700,000 return could be achieved against a loan of Council Tax payers money amounting to £400,000, which you more or less stated would not be repaid and as you had had nothing to do with the company since the turn of the year, it was not your responsibility.  How convenient?

Sadly this man's failure at our expense does not reflect as badly on him as on the BUNGLING INCOMPETENT and INEPT POLITICIANS who gave £400,000 of our money to this man in the first place.

If they have any sense of hinour, which I doubt, Bluh, Edwards and Perkins should go immediately.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:55:48 PM by Richard Symonds »
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #511 on: August 27, 2011, 08:56:45 PM »
Ha ha! Thanks Des. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.... :crazy2:

Hello again Anne.

I have also written things here that are less than complimentary about you. I still stand by them all, but I'm also glad to see you're here again to join in the  :fence: 

Welcome back :)
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Richard Symonds

Digital City to be Struck Off - Not quite yet!!
« Reply #512 on: August 30, 2011, 12:49:52 PM »
Have just received the following reply to a letter I wrote last Friday, which is self explanatory

'Dear Sir/Madam,

DIGITAL CITY (UK) LIMITED-06990831

I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your objection to the striking off and dissolution of the above company.

Please note that the above action has been suspended until  28/02/2012

If you wish to maintain the objection after that date, you would need to apply again in writing enclosing documentary evidence of what action you are taking against the company.  This evidence should be received at least 2 weeks before the objection expires.

If no evidence is received the striking off action will continue and this may result in the company being dissolved from the register of limited companies.

Yours faithfully

Kylie Peachey
Dissolution Case Officer
Considerative Process and Examination Support
Companies House'
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #513 on: August 30, 2011, 01:09:25 PM »
February 28th 2012 is that long enough to allow evidence to be presented by 14th February 2012?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #514 on: August 30, 2011, 01:14:39 PM »
February 28th 2012 is that long enough to allow evidence to be presented by 14th February 2012?

If it isn't then we have to go back to Companies House with documentary evidence and then it will be extended.

Offline swindoncentric

« Reply #515 on: August 30, 2011, 01:16:26 PM »
More time for those accounts to appear, they're in a box somewhere, get hunting Perkins!

http://swindoncentric.blogspot.com/2011/08/wi-failed-death-held-off-for-truth-to.html

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #516 on: August 31, 2011, 11:52:14 PM »
Have just received the following reply to a letter I wrote last Friday, which is self explanatory

'Dear Sir/Madam,

DIGITAL CITY (UK) LIMITED-06990831

I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your objection to the striking off and dissolution of the above company.

Please note that the above action has been suspended until  28/02/2012

If you wish to maintain the objection after that date, you would need to apply again in writing enclosing documentary evidence of what action you are taking against the company.  This evidence should be received at least 2 weeks before the objection expires.

If no evidence is received the striking off action will continue and this may result in the company being dissolved from the register of limited companies.

Yours faithfully

Kylie Peachey
Dissolution Case Officer
Considerative Process and Examination Support
Companies House'

This has been posted Companies House regarding DC:

DISS16(SOAS)   31/08/2011    COMPULSORY STRIKE OFF SUSPENDED (DISS16(SOAS))

Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #517 on: September 02, 2011, 09:07:21 AM »
Well the WiFi failure made BBC Points West news this morning, they were saying something along the lines of the council having as good as admitted that council tax payers will see no return on their money.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #518 on: September 02, 2011, 09:09:56 AM »
Switch on BBC Swindon now!
What's it all about?

Offline MsD Meanor

• Hello !
« Reply #519 on: September 02, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »
ooh this is good- thanks OOTer :popcorn: