Author Topic: Covingham & Nythe  (Read 10239 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: Eastern Development Area Plans Scrapped
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2011, 01:22:21 PM »
The comments from Coun Andrew Bennett are sheer bo££ock$

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8947266.Press_blackout_over_homes_plan/
Coun Andrew Bennett (Con, Ridgeway), Wanborough Parish councillor and Swindon Council ward member said it was because council officers would be speaking at the meeting.
“There are officers, and there are members (of the council)”, he said.
“Officers have a function to carry out the policies of members.
“The corrolary is that it’s unusual officers to talk to the press, unless they’re members of the press office.
“In this particular instance, because it’s becoming so heated and there’s been quite a lot of lengthy correspondence it has built up a head of steam, and it leaves more opportunity for something to come out wrong.
“We do protect officers.”

Officers regularly attend AND SPEAK at public meetings where the press are present, even if the subject is controversial or likely to cause a heated debate.

What utter crap and for that alone Coun Bennett ought to be taken to task.

Cllr Bennett has been around long enough to know the ropes and this does sound surprisingly unlike him. I believe Cllr Andrew Bennett can best defend himself, however having read it more than once personally I find it is a bit unclear and a tad confusing, which makes me believe there is a possibility that he has been misquoted or his quotes taken out of context. Bogomil I am sure you have been told this many times before, it is all open to interpretation! Is anyone from TS going on Monday to the meeting? If you are have you been tempted to go because of this article?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Drone

Re: Covingham & Nythe
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 06:31:13 AM »
Standing for election: Corinna Christine Allen (UKIP) IN THEIR OWN WORDS: I moved to Covingham in April 2007 and then got flooded in July 2007 alongside many people. I am a lone parent and I work part time in the Brunel Centre. I very much enjoy my voluntary work with St John Ambulance. My main concerns are: The safety of the wi fi project in Swindon. The high cost of university tuition fees. The withdrawal or cuts of EMA for young students. Interest rates being too low for savers. The rising cost of living. The price of EU membership of approximately £50 million every day.

Emma Louise Faramarzi (Conservative) IN THEIR OWN WORDS: I will work with your other local Conservative representatives, Councillors Dale Heenan and Richard Hurley and Justin Tomlinson MP, to fight inappropriate development. Now that the last Labour’s Government’s centrally-imposed housing targets have been ripped up, which included the disgraceful 12,000 homes planned for the Eastern Development area, we have the power locally to secure sustainable, high quality development which puts existing residents first.

My other priorities will include tackling graffiti and litter, and supporting further measures to regenerate the shopping areas in Covingham, Coleview and Nythe.

I will be a no-nonsense, hard-working Councillor always putting local residents first.

Chris Ward (Lib Dem) PARTY PROFILE: Having lived in Covingham and Nythe Ward all his life, Chris feels passionately about his local area and believes that his enthusiasm and energy for representing people will make him an ideal candidate for Covingham and Nythe.

As well as standing in Covingham and Nythe, Chris is working hard for the YES campaign on the Alternative Vote referendum. Chris likes AV because it will mean fewer extremists end up in Parliament and MPs will have to work harder to win.

Most MPs get elected despite only being supported by a minority of people, AV would force MPs to engage with more voters.

Peter William David Watts (Labour): IN THEIR OWN WORDS: I have lived in the Covingham and Nythe Ward for 31 years.

If elected I will maintain a constant vigil on the Eastern Development Area (EDA) proposals to prevent traffic and flooding problems to existing roads and housing occurring.

I will also liaise with the Environment Agency to ensure culverts and waterways are regularly inspected, cleaned and maintained effectively to prevent local flooding.

I will work with both the Stratton St Margaret and Covingham Parish Councils for the benefit of the whole Ward and regularly attend Parish Council meetings.

derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Ringer

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 08:35:35 AM »
Emma Louise Faramarzi (Conservative) IN THEIR OWN WORDS: I will work with your other local Conservative representatives, Councillors Dale Heenan and Richard Hurley and Justin Tomlinson MP, to fight inappropriate development. Now that the last Labour?s Government?s centrally-imposed housing targets have been ripped up, which included the disgraceful 12,000 homes planned for the Eastern Development area, we have the power locally to secure sustainable, high quality development which puts existing residents first.

Can Emma now a member of TS explain how "we have the power" as Rod Bluh and Peter Greenhalgh keep claiming they have none?

If it is as easy as claimed to rip up housing targets and "we have the power" why do they want to build on Coate? Also why do they want to build 7,500 homes on the rural villages of Wanborough etc?

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Drone

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »
If elected I will maintain a constant vigil on the Eastern Development Area...

I've got an image of Peter Watts, up a ladder with a pair of binoculars, peering East for the next ten years!
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 02:08:15 PM »
If elected I will maintain a constant vigil on the Eastern Development Area...

I've got an image of Peter Watts, up a ladder with a pair of binoculars, peering East for the next ten years!

He will have to won't he Drone otherwise he might find the bulldosers at the end of his road.

And it never even got discussed in Council

You Know it makes sense.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Ringer

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »
Inappropriate development? from Emma any comment? 

Constant Vigil? from David any comment?

Yes to AV from Chris,  I though Candidates were not allowed to discuss the AV issue whilst canvassing in the local elections? I was not aware that the Libdems were a registered campaigner in the AV referendum, are they? I thought Party resources were not supposed to be used on AV camapigning? I also thought that any comments had to be made in a private capacity when a candidate, meaning they have to prefixed with: this is my personal view? Perhaps I am wrong? any comment?

Corinna flooding and wi-fi safety she points out that flooding is an issue from develeopment, wi-fi safety, will it ever be sprawled across the ward or is it wi-fi in general ie schools homes, mobile phones etc? any comment?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Drone

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »
Corinna flooding and wi-fi safety she points out that flooding is an issue from develeopment, wi-fi safety, will it ever be sprawled across the ward or is it wi-fi in general ie schools homes, mobile phones etc? any comment?

She also wants Swindon to withdraw from the EU...
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Ringer

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 09:10:28 AM »
She also wants Swindon to withdraw from the EU...

What al on its own?

Offline Drone

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 09:14:19 AM »
Most of the UKIP candidates are making statements about EU membership, EU red tape and immigration. I do wonder what influence they think Swindon has on any of those issues, other than becoming an independent city state with free wi-fi for all, no immigration, unending housing and no EU membership!
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Ringer

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 09:18:24 AM »
Most of the UKIP candidates are making statements about EU membership, EU red tape and immigration. I do wonder what influence they think Swindon has on any of those issues, other than becoming an independent city state with free wi-fi for all, no immigration, unending housing and no EU membership!

Swindon, on its own what without its own water supply and eectricity supply does, not sound very strategic to me. What do you think about the comments made by the other candidates?

Offline Drone

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 09:24:17 AM »
Watts seems very focused on local 'stuff' - well, almost exclusively on flooding and parish councils.

Faramarzi - local personality. How will she balance the needs of local businesses with objecting to housing development? Apart from that, grafitti, litter and local dvp.

Lib Dem bloke - AV campaign? Not relevant to the local campaign. Doesn't say a lot else.

UKIP woman - Eu not relevant to local politics. Can't do anything about uni fees or bank interest rates. Doesn't say what she would do for the ward.

Hmmm... not knowing what the local issues are (flooding, development and EU membership?) all the statements seem a little wishy washy, but the Con and Lab candidates are slightly clearer.
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2011, 09:31:52 AM »
I am please Pete Watts is focusing on Local Issues after all it is a local Election, isn't it?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Drone

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2011, 09:34:48 AM »
That's the rumour...
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2011, 09:35:43 AM »
That's the rumour...

No he said that in the Advertiser Election Statement, didn't he?

Offline Drone

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2011, 09:44:44 AM »
That's the rumour...

No he said that in the Advertiser Election Statement, didn't he?

I meant the actual election, not Watts' statement. Most of the parties don't seem to see this as a local issue about local issues. Maybe Watts does?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Ringer

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2011, 11:03:10 AM »
Watts seems very focused on local 'stuff' - well, almost exclusively on flooding and parish councils.

Faramarzi - local personality. How will she balance the needs of local businesses with objecting to housing development? Apart from that, grafitti, litter and local dvp.

Lib Dem bloke - AV campaign? Not relevant to the local campaign. Doesn't say a lot else.

UKIP woman - Eu not relevant to local politics. Can't do anything about uni fees or bank interest rates. Doesn't say what she would do for the ward.

Hmmm... not knowing what the local issues are (flooding, development and EU membership?) all the statements seem a little wishy washy, but the Con and Lab candidates are slightly clearer.

Is Faramarzi local? The others say they are local ie living  in the ward.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2011, 03:49:04 PM »
Faramazi is another of "Tomlinsons Babes" and lives in Abbey Meads.
Covingham should be saying enough is enough. At one time there were 3 of them from North Swindon
Heenan, Smith and Young.
Heenan has moved to Coleview, Young deserted the sinking ship and Smith was fed up in not being involved in any decision making and has stood down. About the only worthwhile thing he has ever done for the area.
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 09:45:41 AM »
Heenan has moved to Coleview, Young deserted the sinking ship and Smith was fed up in not being involved in any decision making and has stood down. About the only worthwhile thing he has ever done for the area.

Bobby, My information that Glenn Smith was removed for his dissent and awkward questioning over Wi-fi.

You know it makes sense.