Author Topic: WiFi'asco Announcement Imminent - Or Is It?  (Read 30686 times)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
Re: WiFi'asco Announcement Imminent - Or Is It?
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
Tonight's Cabinet Meeting heard Coun Perkins state with absolute clarity that Digital City has new private investors and that the £400k of SBC loan will be repaid within weeks.

Sadly he also persisted in repeating the old chestnut that the reason the project stalled was because of the intense scrutiny it was put under.  I tried once again to explain the timeline, but to no avail.  It seems that Coun perkins is simply unwilling to accpet that perhaps the failure of Digital City to have had a viable sales and marketing plan for Highworth might just have contributed to its failure to achieve sales performance targets.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
Tonight's Cabinet Meeting heard Coun Perkins state with absolute clarity that Digital City has new private investors and that the £400k of SBC loan will be repaid within weeks.

Sadly he also persisted in repeating the old chestnut that the reason the project stalled was because of the intense scrutiny it was put under.  I tried once again to explain the timeline, but to no avail.  It seems that Coun perkins is simply unwilling to accpet that perhaps the failure of Digital City to have had a viable sales and marketing plan for Highworth might just have contributed to its failure to achieve sales performance targets.

Des

I thought he had said within days I do not remember weeks unless you got a committment date from him and I missed that?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 08:59:57 PM »
Adver headline Suggestion :  The Return of the Wi-Fi Dosh - Cheque is in the post ?

I was there and returned about 7.45 just as the formal agenda was beginning ...a long buid up to the main event..

but as Des says...the main event...for me anyway...although it was all very interesting to see how various councillors and officers and members of the public behaved.

Certainly in Mr Cockburn and Des (as well as a few others re North Swindon - SBC has some persistent and eloquent scrutineers..democracy is growing and getting more alive and well in Swindon !! great.

I heard the chair say that a re-payment of the SBC loan was imminent  !! Wow is all I can say.  He did helpfully to me in my view explain that (this is what I read into it anyway)...that it made sound business sense for the Project to be rid of the SBC complexities around that loan.

Yes, I concur with Des that the repeated return to the slowing down of the project and the frightening away of potential investors was due to extended scrutiny and media or hi tech misinformation deluges...(my word of course).

So SBC , just from that meeting has : Coate Water, The Northern development and Wi fi to deal with...and for the record...I withheld a few questions, relevant to agenda papers, about OUR BLESSED YOUTH SERVICE...blessed and bless it...

Youth Service

Who and when will a monitoring and evaluation take place of the ACTUAL USE BY YOUNG PEOPLE in an informal social education setting eg juggling, music sessions, dancing sessions and...jus' plain hangin' in that computer filled railway carriage...happened ??

And I do not mean the office based Connexions service which clearly has done its bit and is about I believe to be reduced probably (and revamped and re-launched) due to national and local cutbacks.

Cheers

Tony

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 09:13:27 PM »
Confused of  Swindon????

in the adver at 8:40pm....

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8800780.___Wi_fi_firm_must_pay_back___350k___/
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »
Confused of  Swindon????

in the adver at 8:40pm....

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8800780.___Wi_fi_firm_must_pay_back___350k___/

Indeed strange. Dave King needs to do some editing.
I did my bit, at the pre-meeting (Coate / public trust). Makes you feel better, even if it is a hollow victory.
Derique didn't make any comments tonight, so the Adver must be recycling dated news .
Needless to say, councillor Greenwhore was ever "correct", and councillor Bloooop wasn't there.
Proud to be gone

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 10:10:18 PM »
This looks very much a if it's pre Cabinet meeting news.

Coun Perkins statement is the 'latest word' on the matter. 

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 10:15:21 PM »
Ah yes of course the every reliable and never out of date Adver....

should have known.

so the big question is then, which investors saps have they managed to pass that particular dead donkey onto....

When will know?
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 10:28:35 PM »
Ah yes of course the every reliable and never out of date Adver

A tad cruel me thinks.  The journalist is a 'new boy' having only started this week.  He will learn quickly at the tender behest of the stunning Steph Tye (news editor) and girl about town.

I think DK has to measure the pace and life of a story - and in this case I reckon he has his work cut out to get it just right.

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2011, 11:47:15 PM »
because we are not privy to the real relationship between them an aQovia, who knows what is the utility value of the boxes

Chris Watts can tell you , to within a few pence, how much those items were selling for at the time Digital City purchased them.

It's not difficult to estimate reasonably accurately what the cost of placing each hub on each lampost was.

It's even easier to wander around Highworth and count how many have actually been installed.

You will quickly realise, as Chris and I did, that the amount of money spent on the physical aspects of the WiFi system installation is very probably far, far less than you might think, and that the amount of cash taken out of the company for 'consulting' will be far, far higher than you might think reasonable.  (But all within the rules).

So, go on them, have a guess at how many WIfI boxes have actually been fitted to lamp columns, (there should be between forty and fifty), and how much each of them cost to buy, and cost to fit.....  :popcorn:

We'll even invite the guest readership, (including SCS contractors), to play along, by submitting their estimates, leaks and best-guesses to: leaks@talkswindon.org

Just had a little check back on a previous thread were we idendified the hardware and worked out some costings for fun. :)

http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=5427.msg34693#msg34693

NO sneaky peeks though if you want to play along. :)

Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2011, 12:53:55 AM »

Quote from: The Rodigarch
“The negotiations are about securing new investment for the project to enable it to go forward, and there’s the assumption the loan will be repaid as part of that new investment.

“The private sector wouldn’t be investing further money into this business if it wasn’t a good prospect.

“We’re not looking for failure on this, we’re looking for success.

“Just because the roll-out hasn’t gone as smoothly as possible they assume it’s failed.”

Based on the paying business Digital City (UK) Ltd has mustered in 14 months of operation, (almost zero in real-terms),  the fact that the pilot, (Highworth), remains uncompleted and work on Swindon Borough proper has yet to begin, I'm interested to know why the pRodject looks like a 'good prospect'?

It's liabilities far outstrip its assets and Bluh's claim that: "there’s the assumption the loan will be repaid as part of that new investment" is, as Stephen Taylor would say - 'Open to interpretation'.  I'd put money on it NOT meaning that the £400,000 loan will be repaid in one lump sum as soon as the 'investor(s)' have bought into the scheme, although that is very probably the assumption Rod and the gang want us to leap to.

Naturally I want to the money repaid in full and if the scheme eventually flowers then great.  My problem is that I've heard so many lies broadcast from the bunker that my default position has become that of 'cynical bastard'.

On the basis of the last 14months I can't imagine why anyone would want to invest in this scheme....unless they'd been given promises or assurances of more or less guaranteed returns over the coming years.

Maybe SBC have been touting for another 'Strategic Partner', (a bit like Crapita), who will supply and manage all the Councils communication needs via the Digital City WiFi, maybe they've decided to CCTV the entire borough with a view towards upping their enforcement, (and therefore revenue raising) activities.

Who knows, but I'm looking forward to finding out.   

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2011, 09:08:07 AM »
I have it on unimpeachable authority that it's £400k

I'm not doubting your source, but maybe somebody needs to clarify the situation as a matter of urgency. We have some people under the impression that the full £450k has been squandered, when The Adver are consistently using the £350k figure. Of course, that doesn't make any of this any more palatable, but £100k is a big old chunk of money and it's important that people know what the actual financials really are:

The internet provider owes £350,000 to the council, and on Tuesday revealed it is looking for extra investment for the project – even though it has struggled to meet its existing targets.

Now Labour group leader Derique Montaut has called for the £350,000 borrowed so far to be returned to council coffers right away, saying Tuesday’s announcement calls the viability of the project into question.

Coun Montaut, (Labour, Central), said: “The £350,000, we need that back in our coffers. I’m calling for it now.

I can't believe that Derrickie would finger a lower amount than was actually the case.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Ringer

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2011, 09:09:40 AM »
The radio interview was interesting this morning.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2011, 09:27:39 AM »
I received a very enthusiastic telephone call late last night which basically told me don't worry Rikki has pulled it off and the money owed to the Council will be repaid in a matter of a few weeks and that there were new Investors (please not the use of the plural).  All was forgiven and what a wonderful achievement this would become.

I replied in Rikki speak that an Order is not an Order until it is Placed, Delivered and Paid for in Full

I will believe this episode has reached a satisfactory conclusion when ALL the criteria used to manipulate our money from Council funding is achieved in full and that means

1.  A full and complete repayment of the loan with the agreed amount of interest.

2.  That the shareholding produces the returns it promised

3.  That all invoices to SCS are paid in full and are not conveniently misplaced.

4.  and most importantly of all that we in fact achieve a fully functional and reliable Wi-fi accross the borough.

Then and only then will I write on here to congratulate Rod Bluh and the other protagonists without reservation.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Ringer

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:51 AM »
I think that after what was said on the radio this morning when you eat your words it will give you a great deal of indigestion.  >:D
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:28 AM »
Then and only then will I write on here to congratulate Rod Bluh and the other protagonists without reservation.

Even in the event they get the money back, the charade is hardly praiseworthy*

Is there any interest being charged on the loan? That's one hell of a nice dollop of cash to have available for, what, two years, at 0%

*ETA: even if they get the money back AND get the free wi-fi coverage working it's still not exactly been impressive...
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Ringer

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2011, 09:56:40 AM »
Rikkkiyyeeee http://twitvid.com/KWTBY  :2funny:

I'm Graham Mack reminding you if Digital City were in charge of FM radio, you'd only be able to hear me in Highworth right now. :2funny:

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2011, 10:23:03 AM »
Is there any interest being charged on the loan? That's one hell of a nice dollop of cash to have available for, what, two years, at 0%

3% which at the time was not a bad rate

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2011, 10:24:32 AM »
The radio interview was interesting this morning.

Indeed it was. I believe I heard the Cabinet Member for 'StreetScene', (also one of three Shaw & Nine Elms ward councillors - another being Digital City Director Cllr Garry Perkins) , Keith Williams, comprehensively and emphatically slander Chris Watts.

I'm looking forward to the publication of todays 'Macknugget'

Essentially, Cllr Williams said that the scrutiny applied to the WiFiasco was politically motivated and orchestrated by Chris Watts because he's a member of the Labour Party and has been selected to stand in Eastcott in May 2011.

Unfortunately for Keith, (and this point won't be lost on many), most of Chris's scrutiny of the WiFi'asco happened well before he became interested in local politics.  In fact, and I'm sure Chris will confirm or deny this, I'd assumed it was the way the Bluhligans treated Chris over his scrutiny that 'politically charged' him and got him interested in standing for council.

For the record, Cllr Williams did not mention any other people or organisations involved in publicly scrutinising the WiFi'asco, he was very clear in focussing attention onto one person - Chris Watts.

Bad Boy Chris!  :bottom:

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2011, 10:26:37 AM »
I'm not doubting your source, but maybe somebody needs to clarify the situation as a matter of urgency. We have some people under the impression that the full £450k has been squandered, when The Adver are consistently using the £350k figure. Of course, that doesn't make any of this any more palatable, but £100k is a big old chunk of money and it's important that people know what the actual financials really are:

I have an email from the Borough Solicitor and the Director of Finance confirming that the first payment was £150k made in October, the second made in May 2010 was for £250k and in accordnace with the Cabinet Minute a sum of £50k was retained by SBC.  £250k + £150k equals the £400k

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »
I have an email from the Borough Solicitor and the Director of Finance confirming that the first payment was £150k made in October, the second made in May 2010 was for £250k and in accordnace with the Cabinet Minute a sum of £50k was retained by SBC.  £250k + £150k equals the £400k

Excellent, thanks for clarifying.

Why is Enrique demanding 'only' £350k be immediately repaid then? Surely these people should know their facts before publically making such demands?

BTW, yes, 3% would seem a decent-ish rate to have achieved (if, that is, it's ever really achieved...)