Author Topic: and it gets worse for Coate  (Read 20529 times)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Re: and it gets worse for Coate
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2011, 08:44:39 AM »
Tonight we savoured a forum / cabinet meeting.
As I mostly went to "vent", I didn't take written notes, so I'm sure someone will adorn the thread with greater details.

I was hoping to attend, and was all fired up to make a bit of a speech too but sadly a last minute emergency at work stopped me getting away in time  :(
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Ringer

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2011, 08:52:08 AM »
But did anybody attending acheive anything? Was it stopped and did the planning strategic develop everywhere in Swindon invitation to big flash developers from counc Greenhalgh get passed?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2011, 09:56:52 AM »
As I understood it, they agreed to continue the strategy, but to discuss the details a bit more.
Same bollocks, of doing this to protect Coate.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Two and a quarter hours, of spiel, tends to make me glaze over.
Proud to be gone

Offline Ringer

« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
Discuss the detail sounds interesting, is that certain developers can come to the party or is it a general invitation to all developers?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2011, 12:53:53 PM »
Or, "show me the (106) money!"
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2011, 05:19:41 PM »
Or, "show me the (106) money!"

How about 'Can't Touch This!' ?

The Pogo Rap - (Can't Touch Coate If It's Under Concrete - 2011 Mix)

Offline Ringer

MC Hammer Greenhalgh and Coate Can't Touch This!
« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2011, 05:21:30 PM »
Drive that hammer down! ;D

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2011, 05:37:59 PM »
I should point out that whilst editing the mix I have moved a few words around to show Cllr Pogo Greenhalgh in the best possible light.

It wasn't easy, but I think he's now radiating goodwill, positivity and, above all, vibrancy.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
MC Hammer Greenhalgh and Coate Can't Touch This!
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »
How about 'Can't Touch This!' ?
The Pogo Rap - (Can't Touch Coate If It's Under Concrete - 2011 Mix)

LMFBO

And I would imagine this might get a similar reaction if played from a boombox outside the civic prior to the next council meeting  :2funny:

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2011, 06:48:44 PM »

This is why Reidy doesn't get invited to xmas, birthday and Bar Mitzvah parties in Swindon anymore  :2funny:

Do da da da da, do do da, do do da 'Can't touch this'

Do da da da da, do do da, do do da 'I didn't say that'

Do da da da da, do do da, do do da 'I am a twat'

Next time I see Pogo 'Da Hammer' Greenhalgh I'm gonna sing it to that sucka....

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2011, 08:35:24 PM »
 ;D

Offline bobwright

« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »
At the risk of being bashed, told I’m useless or suffering any other form of endearment for being a Labour Councillor I suggest resisting this development has become all the more difficult now that the administration has openly stated that limited housing is possible at Coate? This is Catch 22 logic - defend Coate with a limited build to prevent a larger build?

Most rational people will fail to see the logic of this proposal. It simply does not make sense, unless, of course, you speculate what developers might have in mind. Someone may have advised to have no strategy will leave Coate wide open so you better have some housing. The residents and others have made their views known and oppose this development. Supporting the proposed development will not only alienate residents it will make a mockery of localism. Whilst I do not agree with the housing strategy I also do not want the council to appear as if it has not been listening or is ignoring resident wishes.

I do not accept the ‘resistance is futile’ approach of the Administration. They are meant to lead and have the power to resist inappropriate development, after all that is the point of the ‘Core Strategy’, to control development. The previous development plan was opposed and this one should also be opposed. The Core Strategy is one way for the council to exert influence over future development however this problem lies in the recent past. At the root of this issue was the Administrations pursuit of a University without understanding the real risk. Whilst I know first hand a promise was made that there would be no further development after the Great Western Hospital the University Trojan Horse rode roughshod over any promises. So whilst the Horse may have gone to the knacker’s yard the hidden threat remains.

Believe or not, many councillors do not want this development and they are trying to find ways of stopping it. Just saying ‘No’ will not be enough; the developers will simply refer to the judgement of the Area Planning Inspector. The Administration has to make a judgement on behalf of the people of Swindon whether to accept this current proposal or not. There are legal requirements and costs to consider but more importantly can this proposed development be stopped? The administration may also seek the help from the local MP. The MP can try to get the Secretary of State to intervene.

My view is in the past we have failed to articulate the Councils Green Infrastructure Strategy to protect Coate we should not fail to use it now. The Green Infrastructure strategy is part of the Core Strategy and should be used to identify clear use of the land surrounding Coate such as an urban farm or an extension of the park. Policy CT3 safeguarding our environment should not be a woolly mission statement but a statement of intent through sympathetic local controls. Instead of just preserving it should be used in conjunction with developers to align their developments. It should not just address developers; it should also address speculative land owners not sensitive to neighbourhood wishes. As stewards we should be enabling developers with alternative development sites, provide incentives that are supported by neighbourhoods, provide coherent infrastructures to enable developments to realise full potential, acceptability and suitable returns for the developer and neighbourhoods.

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
Re: MC Hammer Greenhalgh and Coate Can't Touch This!
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »
Brilliant!

I've got the baggy trousers - just practicing the dance now for outside the Civic Offices.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Jean

« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2011, 10:52:36 PM »
At the risk of being bashed, told I’m useless or suffering any other form of endearment for being a Labour Councillor I suggest resisting this development has become all the more difficult now that the administration has openly stated that limited housing is possible at Coate? This is Catch 22 logic - defend Coate with a limited build to prevent a larger build?

Most rational people will fail to see the logic of this proposal. It simply does not make sense, unless, of course, you speculate what developers might have in mind. Someone may have advised to have no strategy will leave Coate wide open so you better have some housing. The residents and others have made their views known and oppose this development. Supporting the proposed development will not only alienate residents it will make a mockery of localism. Whilst I do not agree with the housing strategy I also do not want the council to appear as if it has not been listening or is ignoring resident wishes.

I do not accept the ‘resistance is futile’ approach of the Administration. They are meant to lead and have the power to resist inappropriate development, after all that is the point of the ‘Core Strategy’, to control development. The previous development plan was opposed and this one should also be opposed. The Core Strategy is one way for the council to exert influence over future development however this problem lies in the recent past. At the root of this issue was the Administrations pursuit of a University without understanding the real risk. Whilst I know first hand a promise was made that there would be no further development after the Great Western Hospital the University Trojan Horse rode roughshod over any promises. So whilst the Horse may have gone to the knacker’s yard the hidden threat remains.

Believe or not, many councillors do not want this development and they are trying to find ways of stopping it. Just saying ‘No’ will not be enough; the developers will simply refer to the judgement of the Area Planning Inspector. The Administration has to make a judgement on behalf of the people of Swindon whether to accept this current proposal or not. There are legal requirements and costs to consider but more importantly can this proposed development be stopped? The administration may also seek the help from the local MP. The MP can try to get the Secretary of State to intervene.

My view is in the past we have failed to articulate the Councils Green Infrastructure Strategy to protect Coate we should not fail to use it now. The Green Infrastructure strategy is part of the Core Strategy and should be used to identify clear use of the land surrounding Coate such as an urban farm or an extension of the park. Policy CT3 safeguarding our environment should not be a woolly mission statement but a statement of intent through sympathetic local controls. Instead of just preserving it should be used in conjunction with developers to align their developments. It should not just address developers; it should also address speculative land owners not sensitive to neighbourhood wishes. As stewards we should be enabling developers with alternative development sites, provide incentives that are supported by neighbourhoods, provide coherent infrastructures to enable developments to realise full potential, acceptability and suitable returns for the developer and neighbourhoods.

Well said.

Both the last planning inspector and the Local Plan Inquiry Inspector believed that some development could take place in the Coate area. The problem is that the scale, location and nature of the development has not been debated and agreed. This is one of the reasons why planning permission sfould not be granted before we have the opportunity to change the Swindon Core Strategy policy for "Commonhead".

Now that the hospital is at Commonhead, land should be reserved for hospital expansion and some accommodation for hospital workers, but nothing else.

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2011, 11:25:14 PM »
One part of it is closer to the hospital.
The other part is "closer to Coate Water, than it is to the hospital"
You caaaaaaan't touch this, tut tut, touch this?

What's the penalty for murder these days?
First offence.
Proud to be gone

Offline Jean

« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2011, 08:41:02 AM »
I've finally managed to see the revised Environmental Statement submitted with the revised planning application. I've got a lot of studying to do.

The developers have submitted new photos of the application site all carefully chosen to hide the development area from the selected viewpoint.

There is a new statement about Jefferies' landscape although the conclusion is the same - ie that the development would have a neutral effect on Jefferies' literary landscape. Their argument is based on the fact that Jefferies Land is already trashed, so you won't notice if we trash it a bit more.

The developers appear to have pacified Natural England who were particularly concerned about the impact of people and pets on the wildlife in a nearby D-shaped field (an important wetland habitat next to Coate Water nature reserve but not on it). 

If it wasn't for Geoff's Rap, that has brought some light relief, I'd struggle to fight on...

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2011, 09:00:50 AM »
Believe or not, many councillors do not want this development and they are trying to find ways of stopping it. Just saying ‘No’ will not be enough; the developers will simply refer to the judgement of the Area Planning Inspector.

This may surprise you, but I completely agree with the quote above, and it's what I've been saying all along. Interestingly, I've been attacked for simply stating the facts of the matter - I suspect you won't be, even though you've said precisely the same thing.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Muggins

« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2011, 09:27:46 AM »
Excellent Geoff, I am sure 52,000 people will thank you.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2011, 09:46:04 AM »
Put ya Coats on blokes coz here starteth the

Greenham Peace Camp at Concrete Coate

The People's Pond Forever

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:33:08 PM by Dougal »

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2011, 09:48:31 AM »
ummm  me have problem wiv techie buttons it seems prithee !!