Author Topic: Swindon WIFI, where are we now?  (Read 22963 times)

Offline James

Swindon WIFI, where are we now?
« on: June 06, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »
Where are we with the rollout of this project?*
As far as I can tell we nearly have Highworth, and we don't have the town centre yet.

Will 4G get here (Old Town) first I wonder?

James

*Sorry if I've missed something in the rather large amount of posts on and around this subject...

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
Re: Swindon WIFI, where are we now?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:23:59 PM »
I suspect we won't hear anything until Mr Hunt comes back with his pockets empty for more cash. All this time and no forward progress must be burning a hole in that last handout. has he been on holiday? how many euros /dollars can you get for £350k

Or perhaps one of our councillors could would like to offer a progress report, seeing they gave him the money no awkward questions asked
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:14:00 PM »

Indeed.

Considering the Council's desperate rush to release the second tranche of the loan to Digital City (UK) Ltd, it does seem odd that any further progress to install the wifi 'mesh' over the entire Borough of Swindon, sorry, in the town centre seems negligible at best.

What isn't negligible is the amount of effort Roderick Bluh is expending to lay the blame for his WiFi-Woes at anyone's feet but his own....

...but Bluh has gone strangely silent over the issue of 'government underfunding'.  Struck mute by the realisation that Central Government is not going to bail his failing budget out.....

:popcorn:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »

Ah, perhaps it's 'cos Rikki has been out and about looking for new entrants to the WiFi pyramid scheme ?

I reckon if Bathgate look closely at Swindon they won't need to waste their money  :)

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »
Bathgate, West Lothian. Slightly larger than Highworth by about 3000 people. But unlike Highworth, it is flat. Could be onto a feasibility study winner ;)

If you Google: 

Swindon wifi

Our very own Komadori is on the first page with "komadori's green corner: Swindon wifi goes parliamentary" :clap:

Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
And only one place below Digital City's own website! Which given that they claim to have had professional marketing advice and I haven't is rather poor performance. If you Google:
Swindon wi-fi
I come out above. With poor marketing like that (and getting high in the Google ranking is an important part of marketing), is it a surprise that they have so few paying customers.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:16:31 PM »

Was the 'Professional Marketing Advice' obtained from another of Mr Hunts solely-owned companies,  Avidity Consulting Ltd?

Offline PAV

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:07:43 AM »
So, does anyone actually know what/when the next milestone on the rollout is?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 04:56:02 PM »
So, does anyone actually know what/when the next milestone on the rollout is?

Probably not.

As if the WiFiasco wasn't already wobbly enough, Bluh tried to bury the bad news that WiFi isn't commercially viable by re-writing the 'performance' measures to turn Digital City's failure into success, thereby empowering himself to hand over another £300,000 of taxpayers cash to Rikki.

At that point installation operations were stalled in Highworth and Swindon Town Centre was now going to be the focus, but all we've heard from Rikki is that he's now looking at Bathgate in Scotland....

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 10:21:08 AM »
Where are we now - does anybody know?

Has DC added to it twelve or thirteen customers?

Has any further work been done?

Is Highworth finished and fully operational 

and finally

Have Digital City made any repayments yet?

enjoy the sunshine - while it lasts!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 10:49:36 AM »
I'll bet another £200+k  loan will be the next move

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 10:59:39 PM »
Loan implies repayment.

My financial acumen leads me to conclude that the£400k has gone 'poof', probably a highly localised global phenomynoymonyon of the recessionary kind, and nothing to do with fiscal jiggerypokery of the 'all within the rules' kind.

Oooh no.

Trouble is when something that should be a business decision becomes something else entirely all normal behaviours are set aside. It's success or failure is now inextricably linked to careers and reputations and the price to maintain something we don't want will be bankrolled by those who don't want it.

Which is the neatest definition of government I have ever come up with.

Now, that money could have been spent on emptying my feckin bins.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 12:02:22 AM »
the£400k has gone 'poof',

I don't think Rod's personally had the money  :-X

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 09:07:22 AM »
Nor do I.

At least nicked would bring a kind of resolution, 'poof' is so much more annoying.

All within the rules though, doesn't matter if the outcome is 'poof' and a gaping hole where £400k used to be. It's the rules that count.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 04:17:29 PM »

Hey Boggy do you know something we don't?

I think the money is on your suggestion, however, but dare Rod come back for more or will it be a bridge too far for other Conservatives not in the Kitchen Cabinet?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »

Hey Boggy do you know something we don't?

Wait and See....  :-\

Offline MsD Meanor

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 11:17:46 PM »
How could a further loan possibly be sanctioned by anyone with half a brain in these financially depressed times? 

Even the "laissez faire" auditor would have to say no to that surely?

:WTF:

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »
Remember that Bluh couldn't stomach losing £150,000 of taxpayers money on the Wifi'asco.....so he went all-out to throw another £250,000 in to 'safeguard' the original £150,000 - and changed the wifi 'progress measures' from 'abject failure' to 'success' in order to make it happen.  He did hold back the final £50,000 of the full £450,000 loan against another set of progress measures, but based on Bluh's past behaviour towards Digital City (UK) Ltd, I feel sure will pull the same stunt again to give the money over.

If Bluh risks £300,000 to save £150,000, what sum is he willing to risk to 'save' £400,000 or £450,000 ?  Not one penny of his own fortune I'll warrant....

The way things are going Bluh will have no choice but to either lend even more money or face failure.

Now he has already indicated that all the negative publicity from TS’er and Labour haven’t helped the project, so may use that as a get out card for it’s eventual failure.

But my bet is that there will be another loan to DC in the region of £200k

Now were just playing a waiting game until Bluh thinks he can push it through cabinet/council with very little resistance. 

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 06:14:18 PM »
How could a further loan possibly be sanctioned by anyone with half a brain in these financially depressed times?

Luckily we are blessed with such a man. I bet you are as relieved as I am.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 04:51:34 PM »

Yes, we are indeed Blessed to have Bluh safeguarding the public purse, our old and our vulnerable.

If your surname contains just 4 letters, starting with an 'H'n ending with a 'T' and also contains a 'u' and 'n', you are thrice blessed indeed.