Author Topic: Mr Hitesh Patel resigns as director of digital city  (Read 16037 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Mr Hitesh Patel resigns as director of digital city
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:16:44 AM »

It's a lovely sunny morning, I'm in a great mood having just finished work and almost ready to climb the wooden hill. Just before I do though, I want TS members to know that I've just uploaded 3 interesting documents to the TS server and distrubuted the links to the person who dug up these particular pearls in case they want the pleasure of sharing them personally.

By lunchtime today some people at SBC are going to be very unhappy campers with egg on their faces.

So, sunny side up or over-easy? :)

Night...

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
Re: Sunny Side Up?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:11:21 AM »
:popcorn:
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
Mr Hitesh Patel resigns as director of digital city
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 11:33:40 AM »
More to follow
Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Mr Hitesh Patel resigns as director of digital city
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 12:02:24 PM »
Can't wait.

At last Wednesdays SBC cabinet meeting Cllr Peter Greenhalgh asked Mr Patel, (SBC Director Business Transformation), whether he was a Director of Digital City. 

Mr Patel denied that he was, again.

Is it lunchtime yet?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 12:17:20 PM »

Buggrit, can't wait for our (currently anonymous) finder of pearls, I'm hungry, must be lunchtime

Hat -Tip 1 to: TBA  (Currently anonymous)

Hat-Tip 2 to companies house: http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/legal/crown.shtml

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 12:40:02 PM »

Crikey, you lot don't hang about, Komadori is Blogging about 'Bluh's Seafood Platter'  :o

Quote from: Komadori
The meeting of Swindon Borough Council’s Scrutiny Committee last December was provided with evidence that the decision to invest in Digital City (UK) Ltd was made in October of that year, 20 October 2009 to be precise. At last week’s cabinet meeting, it was stated that Mr Patel was not a director of the company, that no appointment had been made, he was just ‘an observer’. Not so.

Evidence from Companies House shows that not only was Swindon Borough Council allotted shares in Digital City (UK) Ltd (at that time still known as DM 56 Ltd) on 15 September 2009, but Mr Patel also became a director of the company on that date.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 01:12:09 PM »
Now that it is beyond any reasonable evidential doubt that Swindon Borough Council Director for Business Transformation was, until last Friday, a Director of Digita City (UK) Ltd, perhaps he would answer the questions I submitted to the Scrutiny committee one month ago tomorrow.

As I said at the time

Quote from: Geoff Reid
"I don't have much faith that the scrutiny process is working properly, so I'm also posting them here as a matter of public record."

It won't be long before google and the other net bots index this page so the record will be very public.

From: Geoff Reid         Subject: Scrutiny questions regarding SBC investment in Digital City (UK) Ltd
15th February 2010

Dear Councillor Wakefield I have tried to send this email directly to the chair of the scrutiny committee but it has bounced back as 'undeliverable'.  Normally I would ask my own ward councillors to forward this to to the chair of scrutiny but, as a recent communication to them was passed directly to the political assistant of the Conservative group, I have little confidence that the following question won't be handled the same way.  I am hoping, as I cannot attend tonights scrutiny, that you will be able to table the following questions on my behalf?

Scrutiny Committee Questions: 15th February 2010

Regarding SBC's joint 'WiFi' venture with Digital City (UK) Ltd

1) Swindon Borough Councils Director for Business Transformation, Mr Hitesh Patel, became a director of Digital City in September 2009. Was that directorship taken as a representative of Swindon Borough Council or in a personal capacity?

2) If Mr Patel accepted his directorship at Digital City (UK) Ltd in September 2009 as a representative of Swindon Borough Council, is that consistent with the decision to invest £450,000 in that company being made one month later, in October 2009 - as noted in the papers presented to the scrutiny committee in December 2009?

3) If Mr Patel accepted his directorship at Digital City (UK) Ltd in September 2009 in a personal capacity, were the other officers that authored the Cabinet Member Briefing note dated 12th of October 2009, Stuart McKellar - SBC Director of Finance and Stephen Taylor - SBC Director of Law and Democratic Services, and the cabinet members to whom the note was presented, (Councillors Rodderick Bluh and Mark Edwards), aware of this potential conflict of interest before agreeing to the recommendation to provision the loan of £450,000 to Digital City (UK) Ltd ?

4) In the response to Mr Watts questions to the December Scrutiny Committee regarding the decision to invest in Digital City (UK) Ltd, it was stated that: "The decision to invest was made primarily on the track record of the key individuals concerned and on the basis that risks and rewards would be fairly apportioned."I note that one of the directors of both aQovia and Digital City (UK) Ltd, a Mr Mustafa Arif, was a student until 2007 and most of the 'ten years experience of the telecoms and IT industries.' claimed for him on the aQovia website appears to have been gained in summer placements, or jobs which could be fairly described as temporary or part-time, whilst he was a student. It is my understanding that this is not 'normal practice' in the IT industry so, in light of this apparent lack of experience, is the scrutiny committee confident that the SBC officers Hitesh Patel, Stephen Taylor and Stuart McKellar, and Councillors Rodderick Bluh and Mark Edwards performed due diligence with the necessary thoroughness before they decided to invest public money in Digital City (UK) Ltd ?

It strikes me that my questions might be causing Mr Patel & his colleagues some anguish, especially when considered against last Wednesdays denial that he held a directorship at Digital City, yet found it suddenly prudent to resign from a directorship he says he didn't hold on the Friday of the same week.

I'm sure Thring Townsend Lee & Pembertons would be able to clear this little matter up in a moment, but I'm even surer that Cllr Bluh will try to manage the damage limitation strategy personally.

Me?, I just want my questions answered but have given up any realistic hope that the Rodigarchy is suddenly going to start playing by the rules.  Swindon has genuinely become a rotten-borough.

The issue of Mr Patels dual-directorships is just one of many 'points of concern' with the WiFiasco.  Is it really a surprise that Parliament is about to become more involved?

Offline komadori

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 01:14:44 PM »
And thanks to "TBA" for digging these out. Teach me to be too miserly to cough up a few quid for Companies House documents in future….

Note that the termination document is an electronic submission, not handwritten and submitted later. So there's no grounds that I can see for anyone claiming that at the time of the Cabinet meeting last Wednesday Mr Patel was already not a director and things were just being processed. It's quite clear:

Date of resignation: 12/03/2010
Date electronically filed: 12/03/2010

Offline komadori

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 01:28:38 PM »
At last Wednesdays SBC cabinet meeting Cllr Peter Greenhalgh asked Mr Patel, (SBC Director Business Transformation), whether he was a Director of Digital City. 

Mr Patel denied that he was, again.

Which is odd, seeing as his own LinkedIn profile states

Quote from: Hitesh Patel
Board Director
Digital City (UK) Ltd

(Wireless industry)

November 2009 — Present (5 months)

Tho' even that rather understates his involvement.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 01:38:26 PM »

I trust you've obtained a screenshot ?

Offline komadori

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 01:48:59 PM »
Here you go.

[oversized attachment >100k deleted by admin]

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 01:58:55 PM »

Hat -Tip 1 to: TBA  (Currently anonymous)

And thanks to "TBA" for digging these out.

Sorry guys. I was not trying to be mysterious / anonymous. Just struggling for time today with Mothers Day and all that. Tried posting from the iphone but kept getting busted by the better half. Currently on the mother in laws PC, told her I am updating the anti-virus. Got to be quick before the wife checks up... :bottom:

Oh what a tangled web...

Talking of which, what is going on here? I thought that I had heard wrong at cabinet when Mr Patel denied being a director of digital city. It had been playing on my mind so I just wanted to double check on companies house last night when I spotted the new entry.

Geoff, thanks for posting this. I cannot wait for your scrutiny answers. If form is anything to go by, you will receive your answers late tomorrow afternoon. 15:30h would be my bet.

Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 02:36:35 PM »
I think we were all at a different meeting Gentlemen and that one was the figment of Rod's elusion!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline swindoncentric

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »
People are already talking about it on the buses, with this week's list dedicated to the wi-fi!

Take a look :

http://swindoncentric.blogspot.com/2010/03/top-ten-things-heard-on-swindons-buses_14.html

Several hat tips to all involved in getting this news out there!

Offline swindoncentric

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
Can anyone clarify where the £450,000 came from within the council budget and what it would originally have been allocated to?

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »
On my blog my view on this:

http://www.councillorstevewakefield.org.uk/
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 03:21:42 PM »
I expect that nice Mr Edwards can tell you.

Feel his explanation may be very, very long and end up requesting an apology from you from being a Luddite and singlehandedly dragging Swindon's reputation into the gutter and taliking down an absolutely blinding business opportunity  which has so far only hit 97% of 15 of it's 19 targets. Which is not 97% as I understand it.

On the other hand he may be denying that he inhaled or had relations with etc etc.

Could try Rod, but he is busy defending himself from personal attacks on his personal integrity, unwarranted ones apparently. He is also redefining the status of 'process'. He also does the talking Swindon into failure bit.

Erm, they are probably the only two people who know where the money came from.

I wish I knew stuff.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline swindoncentric

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 03:39:48 PM »
Just tried an email to Mr Edwards!

Lets see what occurs.

Mr Wakefield seems to be the most tech-savvy of our local representatives, do you know where in the budget the money came from?

Offline Ringer

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »
Have the Libdems come off the fence yet? Anyone know their position on this matter? Has Justin Tomlinson/Robert Buckland said or done anything yet? The pair are appearing to be very much in the shadow of the MPs sad aint it :'( Oh I forgot Justin Tomlinson voted this through Scrutiny. ))))
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 04:24:51 PM »
Can anyone clarify where the £450,000 came from within the council budget and what it would originally have been allocated to?
it is my understanding, can not confirm though, that a quantity of money was ring fenced to assist local businesses and the local economy through these difficult times while banks are not that keen on loaning to the small business community. Half of this was used for the radio 1 big weekend and the other half for investing / loaning to DC.