Author Topic: Town Centre Cluster - Open Engagement Event  (Read 13258 times)

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
Town Centre Cluster - Open Engagement Event
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:49:41 PM »
As there has been no info posted to date on this, the second Town Centre engagement event, I think it's my civic duty to help connect people and inform fellow TC Clusterers that this Saturday in Wharf Green and in the Parade by Debenhams, there is to be an open engagement event. Vague details below:

The Town Centre Cluster will be holding an Open Engagement Event at The Parade on Saturday 3rd October.  Come along and talk to us about what it's like to live or work in the town centre.  Further details will follow soon.
http://www.swindonsp.org.uk/ssp-index/connectingpeopleconnectingplaces/town_centre_cluster.htm

Here is the further info that I am aware of - this will actually be running between 11am and 2pm with the aim of engaging with more people than turned up at the last event at the Civic, two and a half months ago.

Not really sure how this is going to work for the benefit of residents in the TC Cluster, as it will mean that some if not much of the info gathered about what is right/wrong etc will undoubtedly be from persons outside of the boundaries, but there you go, someone obviously thought it was a good idea, shame they forgot to connect with residents and ask them how they think the best way to engage might be!!!

Anyone else been informed about this, via email, Facebook, Councillors…. ‘cause I haven't been as yet?

Hopefully as this new way of working is apparently the way forward, we can expect all 6 councillors to be there. :)

http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
Re: Town Centre Cluster - Open Engagement Event
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:03:46 PM »
It's a rather unfortunate title for the event.

Basically this is just another opportunity for people to tell us their priorities in the same way people have been doing through the website, facebook group, responding to leaflets and at other events.

It was meant to be a straight standing on the street, stopping people and asking them about priorities.  However others were keen for it to be more of a circus.

Needless to say the non-TC issues will be fed into the clusters the people come from rather than the priorities the residents are setting, but they'll still help to inform the general view of town centre too I should think.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:50:55 PM »
Bollocks to em, I'm finishing off me fruit pen and living dangerously with a greenhouse.

Fecking pitiful communication skills, all 6 councillors need a kick up the arse, hardly sodding focussed is it, Town Centre will be swamped by shoppers drawn here by the, errrr, easy credit and big telly? Some chap from Bristol will no doubt agree permeability is tops and residents parking should be £8k a year.

Sounds like a grubby scam to bump up the attendance figures.

Dave's kick up the bum will be slightly gentler cos he broke the news but I do despair, lacklustre, dull, plodding with a hint of evasive.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:54:18 PM »
Good grief, I feel faint.  They have taken notice - I suggested (dared them) this some time ago -having open cluster meetings in the tents, and put up on that big screens, so that anyone walking by could see democracy in action - and join if they wanted.  No course, it couldn't be my idea - someone else must have thought of it.

Come on Mart - no excuses - get up there and give 'em hell. Use that razor sharp wit of yours to good purpose. You could tie them in knots and we'd all have good laugh at the same time.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline kecl

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:47 PM »

Dave's kick up the bum will be slightly gentler cos he broke the news but I do despair, lacklustre, dull, plodding with a hint of evasive.

Did he???

As the Cluster Chair, you might have hoped that Cllr. Woods would have posted about this event himself, rather than commenting on a thread started by another.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:01:44 PM »
I'm feeling generous.

Sorry, completely out of character.

Councillor Wood, assume the position you slacker.

And no, I ain't going, I have to go to the library, get some dosh, might wander down and be disenchanted, but the fruit pen and greenhouse are calling.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »

Did he???

As the Cluster Chair, you might have hoped that Cllr. Woods would have posted about this event himself, rather than commenting on a thread started by another.

Mea culpa.

When's your next meeting?

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:41:05 PM »
Good grief, I feel faint.  They have taken notice - I suggested (dared them) this some time ago -having open cluster meetings in the tents, and put up on that big screens, so that anyone walking by could see democracy in action - and join if they wanted.  No course, it couldn't be my idea - someone else must have thought of it.

Come on Mart - no excuses - get up there and give 'em hell. Use that razor sharp wit of yours to good purpose. You could tie them in knots and we'd all have good laugh at the same time.

Et voila!

Offline kecl

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 08:43:50 PM »

Did he???

Mea culpa.

Which one ?????

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »

Did he???

Mea culpa.

Which one ?????

Oh my, a man with broad interests  ;)

Community Council?

karen leakey

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 09:14:11 PM »
Mart

We had a meeting with the Central Cluster Leader last night - on Saturday people will be asked to comment on the Town Centre and will be asked if (a) they live in the Centre Cluster (b) if they live in Swindon (c) if they are a visitor to Swindon - different coloured pins will then be put onto the map.

One thing in Broadgreen we have a problem is that people come here telling us what to do and we dont like it - so we tell people to Bu--er off.  Personally (and it was said last night) we dont want people telling us how to live in the Centre area.  Yes people have a right to comment on the Town Centre - but this is surely about the Cluster areas.
In the Central Cluster there are many communities and they deserve at the very least to be spoken to in their areas.

We have just completed a long haul in producing our own Community Plan - which will be published 21.10.09.  We have completed most of the work ourselves and engaged with people on the streets - through Street Parties/drop in sessions/been into schools/youth clubs and various faith and cultural groups.  The youth survey for example has engaged with over 111 young people from all backgrounds and ages - as you can imagine - it is a lively survey and honest (unlike some).   We have had no funding for this and have had to find the money to print this too.  SBC are waiting to get their hands on this and it has been mentioned that it will be used in the Cluster feedback.

At the Broadgreen Tasking meeting this morning a Central Ward Councillor was asked what is happening with CP2.  Explanation was we need robust debate – things need to be re-shaped – and that in some cases Members are seeing this as a challenge to their position.  Well I thought that was what REAL PEOPLE REAL POWER was meant to be – ‘members’ being more accountable!  They have had at least 2 years to set this up and there are a lot of willing people in Swindon ready to help shape CP2 – but NO lets do it our way -  lets TELL the people of Swindon what to do – and lets wait until the very last minute – then we can panic together when the troops start kicking off!!

On another point I had an email (3rd hand) from one of my hard working community colleagues about applying for a position as a cluster representative on the SSP – this originally came from VAS and was not sent out to many people it would appear.  The Central Cluster Lead did not even know about this.  As far as I know there are 5 active community groups in the Central Cluster and a lot more faith and cultural groups with needs and aspirations – is one person going to represent them.  In Eastcott I am sure the good people there do not wish for someone from Broadgreen to speak on their behalf etc etc…..    So who will be the ‘special’ someone to talk on behalf of the Central Cluster???

I have spoken to a lot of people about CP2 – they don’t know jack about it – I only know about things because the Central Cluster Lead is keeping in touch – the three councillors ‘representing’ me do not give any information over.

That’s why we do it ourselves in Broadgreen – and it looks like we will carry on doing it ourselves. 

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
At the Broadgreen Tasking meeting this morning a Central Ward Councillor was asked what is happening with CP2.  Explanation was we need robust debate – things need to be re-shaped – and that in some cases Members are seeing this as a challenge to their position.  Well I thought that was what REAL PEOPLE REAL POWER was meant to be – ‘members’ being more accountable!  They have had at least 2 years to set this up and there are a lot of willing people in Swindon ready to help shape CP2 – but NO lets do it our way -  lets TELL the people of Swindon what to do – and lets wait until the very last minute – then we can panic together when the troops start kicking off!!

Bugger, I find nothing in that statement that I disagree with.

CP2 is not some folding tables down the town on a Saturday afternoon. That is a box ticking exercise. October Cluster Meeting, tick, duty discharged, onto the next  one.

Hope it bloody p!sses down.

I'd sooner engage with the bloke with the mouth organ.

Offline kecl

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 09:25:16 PM »
Oh my, a man with broad interests   ;)
Community Council?

Groan................

BSACC - week tonight.

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 08:36:18 AM »
In principle taking the meeting to the public is a good idea - however, clearly the majority of shoppers on a Saturday will not actually live in the 'Central Cluster' and therefore residents may end up disappointed as they wrongly presume they are talking to the corporate decision makers, as they will be raising issues outside the 'Central Cluster' and as a rule, if an issue is raised and not addressed they come away thinking less not more of the organisation.

I do admire Cllr Dave Wood's enthusiam to try and make his cluster work (sadly lacking in so many other Cllr's) but in a way I think this is 'cheating', but with very good intentions.

This should happen, but in a different format.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 12:38:19 AM »
The Town Centre Cluster will be holding an Open Engagement Event at The Parade on Saturday 3rd October.  Come along and talk to us about what it's like to live or work in the town centre.  Further details will follow soon.
http://www.swindonsp.org.uk/ssp-index/connectingpeopleconnectingplaces/town_centre_cluster.htm

Here is the further info that I am aware of - this will actually be running between 11am and 2pm with the aim of engaging with more people than turned up at the last event at the Civic, two and a half months ago.

If they want to engage more people, they should try a lot harder with the publicity. As Mr Tomlinson says, the majority of shoppers on Saturday will not live in the Central Cluster. If you want to meet the local community, you'd be better off standing in one of the local centres (outside the former Westcott Place Post Office, for example) than in the town centre.

If I'd known about this in advance, I might have made the effort to go in to the town centre - something I don't usually do at the weekend as I both live and work in the central area. As it is, I have an appointment elsewhere at 11 am.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 09:37:27 AM »
I must congratulate Broadgreen in having the best traffic management scheme in Swindon. Where you may ask?Broad Street. The road surface is absolutely atrocious. Good luck with your cluster meetings and I just hope they achieve something. I can remember the area meetings that used to be held and these were a waste of time. You only ever attracted people on parking issues and double yellow lines. Nothing changes!!
Bobby

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 11:30:43 AM »
In principle taking the meeting to the public is a good idea - however, clearly the majority of shoppers on a Saturday will not actually live in the 'Central Cluster' and therefore residents may end up disappointed as they wrongly presume they are talking to the corporate decision makers, as they will be raising issues outside the 'Central Cluster' and as a rule, if an issue is raised and not addressed they come away thinking less not more of the organisation.

I do admire Cllr Dave Wood's enthusiam to try and make his cluster work (sadly lacking in so many other Cllr's) but in a way I think this is 'cheating', but with very good intentions.

This should happen, but in a different format.

Hopefully this will be to the benefit of all clusters as I assume officers will pass along the concerns and priorities of those not in the Central Cluster to their own cluster people.

Offline kecl

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 11:34:03 AM »
I must congratulate Broadgreen in having the best traffic management scheme in Swindon. Where you may ask? Broad Street. The road surface is absolutely atrocious.

Monty knows all about it, and he has been aware for some considerable time: Broad Street Area Community Council minutes - 3rd September 2008 Cllr. Montaut: Having the large amount of potholes in Broad St. has been something Cllr. Montaut has made an effort in and he is hoping to get the long-term programme for road resurfacing. Claims for injury due to potholes cost councils more money nationally than repairing them.

http://broadstcc.blogspot.com/2008/10/minutes-of-community-council-meeting.html

Still waiting :'(!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Muggins

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 02:54:59 PM »
We find here that potholes are a very cheap way of providing taffic calming!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2009, 04:38:32 PM »
Hmmm yes very true Muggins !

..... and those dreaded humps !

Well word has it that some humps are being removed in the West Swindon area !
(correct me if I am wrong - but I am sure thats what I heard) so nice road surfaces there then  ???

I know that our ward Cllr (David Glaholm) was trying to get something done about our roads etc.
But it looks as though West Swindon is a priority !

I personally haven't got the hump myself, but there are lots of areas in Swindon with pot holes and bad road surfacing.

I did my weekly visit to Dorcan Pool earlier this week - the entrance road in the car park is in such a sorry state- full of potholes.
There is also a tree there that looks as if it is about to keel over !

The other thing they need at the pool whilst I am on the subject is a changing bed and mobile hoist in their disabled changing room.
They have got the chair lift which is fantastic - they have got a huge disabled changing room which no one as far as I know uses as there is no hoist for people who cannot weightbear and need support re: changing, and no changing bed !!!!!!

Justin - could you bring this up at the council please  :)
and let me know what can be done.

I have gone off on a tangent I know, and this isn't the correct area to post this - but it was talk of the pot-holes that triggered it  :)
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.