Linked Events

• Radio Ones' 'Big Weekend' Comes T: May 09, 2009 - May 10, 2009

Author Topic: Radio Ones' 'Big Weekend' Comes To Swindon  (Read 22690 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Radio Ones' 'Big Weekend' Comes To Swindon
« on: March 17, 2009, 08:36:57 AM »

Radio 1 Big Weekend

9th & 10th May 2009 at Lydiard Park

[float=left][/float] Radio 1's 'Big Weekend' is Europe's biggest free ticketed event and is taking place in Swindon on the 9th & 10th of May 2009 at Lydiard Park.

The Big Weekend is held in a different location each year. It was held in Maidstone last year, and Preston, Dundee and Sunderland before that.

Each year preference is given to residents of the local area, with tickets allocated at random based on postcode.

The majority of tickets this year will go to those in Swindon, Wiltshire and the surrounding areas.

How to get 'yer tickets:

Tickets for Radio 1's Big Weekend are free, and registration for tickets will open on Tuesday 14 April 2009.

You have to register your details on the bbc Radio 1 'Big Weekend' website for your chance to attend.

Last year about half a million people applied for tickets. Demand is expected to be very high again this year. Not everyone who applies will be successful, but, 40,000 tickets will be allocated across the two days.

Registration for tickets opens on Tuesday the 14th of April.

Keep listening to Radio 1 and checking the 'Big Weekend' website for details on how to register and the full line-up announcement.

eBay have already promised to remove auctions for Radio 1 Big Weekend tickets.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 07:04:26 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Re: Radio Ones' 'Big Weekend' Comes To Swindon
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 12:31:49 PM »
Park and Ride perhaps?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline swindonlinkman

• The best read publication in town
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 02:02:03 PM »
The biggest music event in Swindon for years takes place at Lydiard Park on Saturday 9 and Sunday 10 May when 40,000 people attend the UKs biggest free festival. See the rest of the story with pictures at www.swindonlink.com

[attachment older than 365 days auto saved then deleted by admin]

Offline Critique

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 05:13:18 PM »
What is all this about? Swindon Council is going to mothball a park and ride causing more town centre traffic congestion, they want to close down two libraries and they're making a bunch of people redundant, including two staff responsible for environmental sustainability. Green this event is not, more like bread and circuses.
Wikipedia: Bread and Circuses (or Bread and games) (from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metaphor for handouts and petty amusements that politicians use to gain popular support, instead of gaining it through sound policy. The phrase is invoked not only to criticize politicians, but also to criticize their supporters for giving up their civic duty.

Offline Critique

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:14:56 PM »
And whose paying for it: the BBC shelling out licence fee tax money, or Swindon Borough Council shelling out council tax payers money?

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:23:37 PM »
The Big Weekend has been going for 8 years. No other local authority has ever turned down the chance to have it in their area. So Swindon has taken the positive approach and grasp the opportunity to showcase itself in a different light. At least those who have lost their jobs at Woollies and elsewhere and are on short time at Honda have a equal chance to win a free pair of tickets in the ballot.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:35:27 PM »
I won't go, Moyles gets on me, erm, nerves, yes that's it, nerves. I like 6 Music's output considerably more that what this lot will crank out.

However, bit of a jolly up never hurt anyone, that said:

At least those who have lost their jobs at Woollies and elsewhere and are on short time at Honda have a equal chance to win a free pair of tickets in the ballot.

Whilst I admire the optimism of that statement, and I am sure a few hours jumping up and down in a field, without having to sleep in it, will be a bleedin good laugh, any long term comfort vis a vis unemployment, or short time, is likely to be a bit limited.

Could be wrong, but wouldn't do it for me.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 08:46:26 PM »
I think this calls for a Chavs day out ! lol
I need to find out how to get tickets though !

Aligator............ fancy a day out with the Chavs ?   ;)

I know you are partial to a bit of Kylie, but Snow Patrol are good too ! lol

Come on Ali G , you enjoyed the Pride event ! , you know you want to lol

Chav ; )

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 08:55:24 PM »
I think this calls for a Chavs day out ! lol
I need to find out how to get tickets though !

Aligator............ fancy a day out with the Chavs ?   ;)

I know you are partial to a bit of Kylie, but Snow Patrol are good too ! lol

Come on Ali G , you enjoyed the Pride event ! , you know you want to lol

Chav ; )

I think I could be tempted.  I like Snow Patrol  O0

You have to apply for tickets so I don't think anyone know if they'll be able to go yet.  Details of how to apply are here:  http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?topic=4129.msg23915#msg23915

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »
This has been an open secret for a while.  I Heard quite strong rumours from 3-4 different people over the last couple of weeks and was going to post something to ask if anyone knew for certain!

However well done to getting the gig!  No doubt are mates at new Swindon Company, Swindon Cultural partnership will all get on the bandwagon claiming the credit!

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 10:43:06 PM »
Its free - its just for a day, it's Radio 1 so it has the most boring and stunted musical appeal of just about any radio station and it'll bring bugger all income in except for the litter collectors, First Great Weston and the purveyors of burgers and booze. For a single day. It means bugger all - except for a trashed Lydiard. Should be popular with the denizens of Chavopolis though. Hip-hip-zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

;)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Terminatrix

• Underpaid & Overtaxed
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 11:17:10 PM »

I'm up for a good rave and getting mashed but: 

Lydiards 'events' field hasn't been repaired after the damage caused to it on fireworks night yet. Parts of it are still badly rutted and without grass. Broken ankles will be the order of the day of the ground isn't rolled/prepared properly before it dries out again.

There's no such thing as a free lunch, let alone a free weekend of music, so how much will policing, site security, traffic control, bus travel, park and ride and cleaning Lydiard up afterwards going to cost Swindon Taxpayers?

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 07:34:08 AM »
There's no such thing as a free lunch, let alone a free weekend of music, so how much will policing, site security, traffic control, bus travel, park and ride and cleaning Lydiard up afterwards going to cost Swindon Taxpayers?

Indeed, we're subsidising this TWICE! - once through the license fee, then again through our council tax.

Looks like an opportunity for another FOI to answer that question (whats the betting that nione of our elected representatives can be bothered to ask...?)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 08:11:53 AM »

This has been an open secret for a while.  I Heard quite strong rumours from 3-4 different people over the last couple of weeks and was going to post something to ask if anyone knew for certain!

Speculation has been fairly rife within the group of regular, (i.e daily), users of Lydiard Park for the last couple of months since orange planning permission notices went up.  I think the event maximum figure quoted on the application was 30,000..... but on seeking to clarify this today I'm rewarded with: 

For reasons of confidentiality, Swindon Borough Council may choose not to display certain Planning Applications

Not exactly confidential now though, is it?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 08:24:26 AM »

Lydiards 'events' field hasn't been repaired after the damage caused to it on fireworks night yet. Parts of it are still badly rutted and without grass. Broken ankles will be the order of the day of the ground isn't rolled/prepared properly before it dries out again.

Very pertinent points.

Walked across the park this morning.  Around the house is in fairly good order, but as you get further away from the 'easily visited bits', the more shoddy the park is looking.

The events field itself is in a poor state and the temporary grass car park adjacent to the sportsfield looks like Koki MaCola, the little known rallying ace from Toothill, has been using it for practice.

An entire section of fence separating the temporary car park from the sports pitches has been damaged and partially removed since Friday, apparently to allow a large vehicle (looking at the tracks it left), to enter the sportsfield from the car park.

If due regard isn't paid to maintaining the park in good condition all year round I'm sure the power of context will ensure that the park will be in a terrible state by the end of this summer.

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 09:04:55 AM »
A picture for you Snow Patrol fans. See them at yesterday's launch at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/bigweekend/2009/video/launch/

[attachment older than 365 days auto saved then deleted by admin]

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »
Hi All

As a ward councillor for Toothill and Westlea and a resident of Shaw and Nine Elms, I think that if the weather holds this will be a good weekend for those who want to attend. The ballot for free tickets will be an interesting one as I like many who have listened to Radio 1 since 1967 will certainly put my name forward. Hope there is not an age bar? Still Chris Moyles ain't no youngster either. I am sure Roger from the link can remember when there was only radio 1 and luxembourg to listen too( remember it was 208 and it always faded in and out )! Well there was the pirate radio stations too. 

So this could be a nostalgic weekend and anyway Snow Patrol is always worth listening too, especially chasing cars. I am confident that the Beeb and the Council will get this  right and anyway the beeb has been doing this for thing for years; putting up big tops, it all started with seaside special in the mid 70s. Who knows its a knockout may yet return? Alas though without the late great Eddie Waring.

Lets have some fun and for those who are so inclined; get some of the TV licence money back into the town, I have paid it for years along with Council Tax wherever I have lived; so anything that gives the town and the people of swindon a boost is welcome at the moment.

I do hope that I will see many of you there, even if by the sound of it some people will have to grin and bear it. I have been listening to Radio 1 for 42 years this September, and still enjoy it. The thing about Auntie Beeb is that its a well tried idea that works and as ever will be professionally delivered. Thats what aunty beeb does best, steady safe family entertainment, some may say boring but thats a view people are entitled to. The weekend will by all accounts be a good one for all the family.

Hope to see you there.

Cllr Steve Wakefield: Toothill and Westlea

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline swindonlinkman

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 06:32:28 PM »
Afraid I no longer fit the Radio 1 target demographic of 16-24 years as described at the launch yesterday, but I don't really feel rejected. I don't much like some of the behaviour and attitudes of some of its DJs, particularly tubby and increasingly grey Moyles. Funny how he no longer fits the demographic; even more weird how upcoming geriatric Madonna headlined last year's weekend. My hero is the venerable pirate Johnny Walker from Radio Caroline days right up to his Sunday show, and occasionally when he shakes up Radio 2 airwaves when he takes over from Wogan and plays some exciting music.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 07:02:30 PM »
Well I intend to go ..... depending on the ticket situation of course !

I recon it will be absolutely chavtastic  ;D

Seriously, I love a good music type event, so does my mate Aligator  ;)

So who else is intenteding to go ?

Oh Ali G........... leave the brolly at home this time flower lol as you are prone to giving one a poke with it !  :)

Chav  :angel:
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 07:06:08 PM »
Oh Ali G........... leave the brolly at home this time flower lol as you are prone to giving one a poke with it !  :)

Haha, I'm not sure about that, the brolly was nothing to do with the weather it was intended to keep you and your chav mates under control and, at certain times, at arms length  ;)