Author Topic: House of Fraser to close down and re-open as a discount store  (Read 17540 times)

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
House of Fraser to close down and re-open as a discount store
« on: October 16, 2008, 08:30:29 AM »
I heard on the BBC news last night that House of Fraser has 'selected' Swindon's store as one six stores to become an outlet store.  The BBC report was lacking in details, but it suggested something along the lines of the outlet village.

It struck me that this seems to fly in the face of the plans for the regeneration where so called flag ship stores would be seen as a key part in drawing people into the town centre.

I've found this report on it here http://www.drapersonline.com/news/2008/09/house_of_fraser_to_cash_in_with_new_outlet_plans.html

There's an interesting quote in the article that says a lot, the emphasis is mine.

McCarthy told Drapers: "There was always a tail to the retail estate. Swindon doesn't necessarily fit into our premium positioning plans. We may end up with four House of Fraser Outlets. It is a good opportunity to clear residual merchandise and we can convert borderline stores into something that will make more money."

Personally, I'm not conviced that another store packed to the rafters with stock that failed to sell in other towns is really what Swindon needs, even if it is good for House of Fraser's balance sheet.

Has anyone else heard about this?

Any councillors out there care to comment on what it may mean for the regeneration? I think this is a backward step for Swindon.

Offline NothingCleverOrFunny

Re: House of Fraser to close down and re-open as a discount store
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 10:34:14 AM »
Totally agree with this being a backward step for the town. How on earth can we have any faith that the Regent Place scheme will happen at all, let alone be able to attract higher class new shops when the only decent shop already here can't attract enough custom?! It's a complete joke  :bash:

It's news like this that makes you wonder if its possible to 'regenerate' the town centre?

As for a comment from one of the councillors - all the best.

robert feal-martinez

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
The stories up on the Swindon Advertiser site. With a photo that I thinks sums up why.

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »
It’s not really a surprise, is it? House of Fraser was enticed here as the flagship store on a peppercorn rent to help entice other big names and help the regeneration of the town centre move forward, and they are still waiting!  :idiot2:

Back in 2000 the Council had a 30-year vision to transform Swindon into a world-class ‘City’ (lol) and what has happened since then? Diddlysquat, a few cosmetic improvements and a library and lots of promises, plans and demolition and that’s your lot.

Swindon has always been a town built and expanded simply because of it’s one great asset and draw over the years – work. That’s the main reason most of the people of this town have come here since the railway works started the ball rolling back in the 1840’s. It’s not and never has been a centre for high class shopping, culture, history or any of the other things many other towns and cities have to offer. Even if Regents Place is ever built, they've even managed to drop the art gallery and cinema from the original idea and it's never going to be a Cabot's Circus is it!

It’s an honest to goodness practical and working town, Swindon should stick to doing what Swindon always has and still does best - employment.

The old saying about silk purses and sows ears, rings true for Swindon and all visions of grandeur in the world will not fit into the Swindon mould, no matter how many times we are told this view is an inward and narrow minded way of thinking.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 12:52:11 PM »
My wife worked there when it opened, it was very nice.

I had nice clothes with employee discount and sale prices.

I really can't wait to see some councillor spouting off about how this is a 'negative positive' or some such bollocks. I think we will ultimately get told 'It is better than nothing, stop bleedin moaning' and that the new development will be so charismatic that all major retailers on the face of the planet will be queuing up to drop their drawers to get in on the act.

Actually, no, they won't.

I'm not that special or peculiar, I'm probably normal and average. I have had it up to here with block paving, stainless steel and the same old bloody shops, and it is the same bloody shops cos they are in 'partnership' with the developer, so I expect a few people share my opinion?

But I don't know the answer, it's not in me job description anyway, but I would like something softer, as has already been said, no amount of investment is going to turn us into the Knightsbridge of the west, it will just make the town look like an ageing movie star who has had too much surgery in an effort to look like something it isn't. All the character chopped out and tucked away.

Decent run of shops, more grass, more trees, more water, more relaxed atmosphere and zero tolerance to arseholes who do not treat it with respect. That might attract visitors.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 01:07:15 PM »

Decent run of shops, more grass, more trees, more water, more relaxed atmosphere and zero tolerance to arseholes who do not treat it with respect. That might attract visitors.

Excellent and intelligent design brief, easy to achieve......didn't cost SBC us a bean.... O0

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 05:09:57 PM »
"It will make the town look like an old movie star"
Try this
Julie Andrews turns 69, this is hysterical. To commemorate her birthday Julie Andrews made a special appearance at Manhattan's Radio City Music Hall for the benefit of the AARP. One of the musical numbers she performed was 'My Favourite Things' from the legendary movie 'Sound Of Music'. Here are the lyrics she used: (Sing It!) - If you sing it, it's especially hysterical!!!
 . . . . . .
Botox and nose drops and needles for knitting.
Walkers and handrails and new dental fittings,
Bundles of magazines tied up in string,
These are a few of my favourite things.
Cadillacs and cataracts, hearing aids and glasses,
Polident and Fixodent and false teeth in glasses,
Pacemakers, golf carts and porches with swings,
When the pipes leak,
When the bones creak,
When the knees go bad,
I simply remember my favourite things,
And then I don't feel so bad.
Hot tea and crumpets and corn pads for bunions,
No spicy hot food or food cooked with onions,
Bathrobes and heating pads and hot meals they bring,
Back pain, confused brains and no need for sinnin',
Thin bones and fractures and hair that is thinnin',
And we won't mention our short shrunken frames,
When we remember our favourite things.
When the joints ache,
When the hips break,
When the eyes grow dim,
Then I remember the great life I've had,
And then I don’t feel so bad

(Ms. Andrews received a standing ovation from the crowd that lasted over four minutes and repeated encores. Please share Ms. Andrews' clever wit and humour with others who would appreciate it.

Bobby

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 09:55:12 PM »
Is Bingo 'tired and emotional' - or trolling - or mistakenly posting in the wrong thread??  :uglystupid2:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Alligator

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 09:51:22 AM »
Is Bingo 'tired and emotional' - or trolling - or mistakenly posting in the wrong thread??  :uglystupid2:

I was going to niminate his post for the "most tenuous connection to the subject of the thread" award   ;D

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 04:53:55 PM »

It’s an honest to goodness practical and working town, Swindon should stick to doing what Swindon always has and still does best - employment.

The old saying about silk purses and sows ears, rings true for Swindon and all visions of grandeur in the world will not fit into the Swindon mould, no matter how many times we are told this view is an inward and narrow minded way of thinking.

Whilst I don't disagree with that sentiment, the nature of employment in Swindon has changed and with it the people. Yes, there are still some big manufacturing employers but there are some big office-based employers too. I would have thought Swindon could sustain a slightly upmarket department store, just not as upmarket (and over-priced) as House of Fraser.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 09:10:40 PM »

Alligator: What does niminate mean? 

...it's sounds painful  ;D

Offline Alligator

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 10:12:59 AM »

Alligator: What does niminate mean? 

...it's sounds painful  ;D

;D  You're about to find out, I'm now going to niminate your post for the "spot the 'deliberate' typo award"   O0

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 12:20:23 PM »
Interesting... I've just noticed no less than six unregistered guests viewing this thread...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 05:30:45 PM »
Going back to the original arguement how many of you can honestly say that they shopped at Swindons House of Fraser regularly?

Must admit I am the sort of person they probably want (good disposable income) however can count one finger number of times bought stuff there!  I tend to forget about it and normally go to Marks, Debenhams (or dare i say it) various Discount shops if I need some new clothes!  When i do go there find it quite expensive!

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 08:31:32 PM »
Going back to the original arguement how many of you can honestly say that they shopped at Swindons House of Fraser regularly?

Me - about the only place I'd stroll if I was in the town centre. Absolutely EVERYTHING else (apart from soon to be redeveloped things like the cobblers in Havelock street) can be bought more cheaply and conveniently along with the groveries at the supermarket - or more cheaply and with a better choice in another town.

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 11:00:27 PM »

I can honestly say, hand on heart, I've never walked up to any till in House of Fraser and parted with my cash, for any of their goods.
(nor have i pinched any either!!! :) :) :))
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 12:26:23 AM »

We did most of last years Xmas pressie shopping in House of Fraser.

I 'spose we're regular customers really, because we're in there about twice a month and we usually buy something. I particularly like the kitchenwares section  :)

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »
I've never bought anything in the Swindon House of Fraser, and have only twice made purchases from any of their other branches. There's nothing I might buy from them that I couldn't buy cheaper elsewhere.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 08:31:36 AM »
I've never bought anything in the Swindon House of Fraser, and have only twice made purchases from any of their other branches. There's nothing I might buy from them that I couldn't buy cheaper elsewhere.

Ah hah... That'll be because ( perhaps) you didn't lurk around the back alleys of House of Tat when it first opened.
What Glory Days those were.
House of Tat had clearly got the demographics of swindon wrong when it opened and lured in some fab. brands. which lasted just that very first season and then bolted for the happy-land of Bath or Cheltenham. No pink pashminas in sight  but lines from Michael Kors, Max Mara etc...
Happy memories... since then of course the place has become a slightly smarter version of Debbing'ams so the 99p shoppers aren't scared witless on entry.

The building is best converted to a Multi-screen cinema - it's got all the requisites, parking,McDo's and loiter-outside space.

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 04:46:55 PM »

I use it a fair bit- some of their own brands in the houseware and accessories are good quality and competitively priced. The sales are also extremely good value. Great for clothes for the less elfin figure that you can't get unless you go to London or Bath. I'm really sorry it's reinventing itself- it was a pleasanter experience shopping in there than most other places in Swindon.