Author Topic: Wheelie Bins: Good News For Eastcott  (Read 7989 times)

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
Wheelie Bins: Good News For Eastcott
« on: August 04, 2007, 03:26:55 AM »
As several threads on here, by residents, have suggested much of the Eastcott portion of Old Town is unsuitable for wheelie bins, being tight terraced and/or on hills.

We asked all residents whether their street was suitable, and the we had a huge response and in a lot of cases it looks like these views have been listened to.

Virtually all the streets around Eastcott Hill and through to Kingshill will have bag collections and no wheelie bins.

The good aspect of the wheelie scheme is the limiting of waste, thus it is sensible that people will only be allowed to put out a certain number of bags.  However what seems unclear is whether the collection of these bags will be fortnightly or weekly; I sincerely hope it's the latter.

Also in good news where people on excempt streets feel, on an individual basis, that they can handle a wheelie they can request one.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Wheelie Bins: Good News For Eastcott
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 05:30:59 PM »

Does this mean that Councillor David Wren, and the other 'pro-wheelie bin' members of the cabinet have had a change of heart?

Or is the apparent outbreak of common sense regarding wheelie bins and some streets in Eastcott is really due to the sudden realisation on the part of David Wren that the new fleet of bin lorries he's bought with our cash......probably aren't going to fit up the very streets which are now removed from the compulsory bin scheme?.

Still, credit where credit is due Councillor Wood.

Well done.  :)

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 06:53:25 PM »
Wll done Dave,   

Your hard work and perseverance has paid off.  O0

Do you know which streets will be affected by this decision?

I'm no longer in an area that's affected by this issue as I do have more space for a wheelie than the terraced houses in central/oldtown, even if I don;t want one.  However I was away last week so didn't manage to put my rubbish bag out.  By the time I returned home a few days later the bag was stinking.  I've just put the bag out for collection tomorrow (two weeks worth of waste) and the bag was crawling with maggots.

You definately need to push for weekly collections for food waste.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 08:06:25 PM »
Thanks.

To be fair to the administration this isn't a change of heart.  There were always set to be around 5,000 'excemptions' from the scheme it was just the way the chips fell that was in question.

I never thought there were enough excemptions for the housing mix we have in Swindon but I'm glad those few there were went to the right place.  I do feel that Eastcott residents are more informed and more 'active' than most so I hope it wasn't just a case of who shouted the loudest.

The problem in my mind - and I'm glad it no longer seems to be one, unless I've missed something - was that the excemptions were to be used up on 'gateway streets' on the basis that bins were too unattractive.  If they are unattractive it matters just as much on side streets where people live.  The irony was that these suggested gateway streets, like Crombey Street, were the streets that needed them the most.

My understanding is that leaving bags for two weeks is worse than leaving a wheelie.  So you probably won't have as much of a problem, Alligator.  One reason why I hope those excempted streets will have weekly bag collections.

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 11:59:19 PM »
Thanks.

The problem in my mind - and I'm glad it no longer seems to be one, unless I've missed something - was that the excemptions were to be used up on 'gateway streets' on the basis that bins were too unattractive.  If they are 'unattractive it matters just as much on side streets where people live.  The irony was that these suggested gateway streets, like Crombey Street, were the streets that needed them the most.

'Exemption streets', hmmm, last thing I knew Manchester Rd and County Road were not having wheelies as it would be impractical to collect wheelies from these roads as it would take too long to collect them on what are major roads into town, the 'gateway streets' idea would certainly be a better explanation for this move.

The way I see it, if wheelies ain't practical in Mannie or County Rd. or in Eastcott they ain't f#cking practical for the whole of the Broadgreen area or any other terraced house area of Swindon.

Wankers.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 01:37:47 PM »
'Exemption streets', hmmm, last thing I knew Manchester Rd and County Road were not having wheelies as it would be impractical to collect wheelies from these roads as it would take too long to collect them on what are major roads into town, the 'gateway streets' idea would certainly be a better explanation for this move.

The way I see it, if wheelies ain't practical in Mannie or County Rd. or in Eastcott they ain't f#cking practical for the whole of the Broadgreen area or any other terraced house area of Swindon.

Wankers.

TBH I'm still a little confused and I hope the relevant officer can come to our next group to explain it.

Pretty much the whole of the Eastcott Hill area and Clifton Street/Kingshill area is excluded.  Yet the York Road area and roads off Crombey Street are included.

The York Rd area is the most similar in my area to the Broadgreen area in terms of housing type and ground elevation.  I can't help but feel the 'hill' issue is not central, as some of the worst streets for this are those intersecting crombey street.

To my mind terraces are mostly unsuitable for it so what really makes Portsmouth Street or Gladstone Street any different from Hythe Road or Lansdown Road?

I really don't know.  But when I find out I'll post.

Offline kecl

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 02:32:55 PM »

Pretty much the whole of the Eastcott Hill area and Clifton Street/Kingshill area is excluded. 

Does Cllr. Bluh not live in Clifton St.?   Coincidence???

To my mind terraces are mostly unsuitable for it so what really makes Portsmouth Street or Gladstone Street any different from Hythe Road or Lansdown Road?

Must be the Old Town/New Town divide!!!
 Let's be honest, there is no difference. We will be demanding answers about this, what's unsuitable for one must be unsuitable for the other.

No matter what happens I refuse to store a wheelie bin in my front garden.
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline ford

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 08:08:40 PM »

No matter what happens I refuse to store a wheelie bin in my front garden.

I just love fighting talk.
If you get a whee.bin you could always store it on Clifton street; pop around there evry now and then and drop your your non-compostables in it.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 10:14:54 PM »
Did anyone see in the Sunday's the blurb about downsized bins?

Apparently there is a feeling that we should move to the 140 litre european model, half size, and stick with the fortnightly collection.

I am also a mite concerned that sbc would lash out on a £60k wagon that doesn't fit, but I expect they had the sense to lease.

Mmm.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 07:03:42 AM »
Hmmmm.....

I am also a mite concerned that sbc would lash out on a £60k wagon that doesn't fit, but I expect they had the sense to lease.

Mmm.

...let's see if they're willing to discuss it without putting an FOI request in, or attending a council meeting to ask in person.

I've just fired this email off to the bin man and money bags.....

....although I'm already betting that Cllr Bluh has issued a verbal gagging order on 'sensitive' issues. 

I'm dusting off my lucky FOI gonk as I type....

The Talkswindon Forum

Dear Councillors Wren and Martin

There is some discussion on the Talkswindon forum as to whether the new SBC/SCS vehicles to be used on refuse AWC and recycling have been purchased outright by SBC or obtained on a lease-hire agreement, and how much SBC has already spent, or intends to spend on the new equipment in either a rental or outright purchase scenario.

An exact figure isn't required,  to the nearest 20k would suffice for  discussion purposes.

Perhaps you could email me by return, today if possible, and clarify the above?.

Thanks.

Geoff Reid

www.talkswindon.org

No Adverts, No Sponsors, Just Freedom To Talk......

Dick Norman

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 11:21:23 AM »
:bash:

It will be interesting to see if you get a reply Geoff? 

Time will tell, but as another thread but relevent to the issues of Eastcott is just how much recycling is left behind and the boxes left spreadeagled all over the street and pavements.  I nearly reversed over my next door neighbours box the other day as it had been left in the middle of the drive out of vision.  How much care does it take to put it back in the same place from which it was collected?  Still this is Swindon Commercial Services - Fat Dumb and Happy - Have they been threatened with replacement by Hills yet?  Perhaps they would take more care if they were threatend with losing this cotract because if anyone has been to the Purton recycling centre they can see how it should be done.  I have been told the reason why we have to cut up our Cardboard to fit the recycling boxes is that it will not fit the truck unless it is that size so the big boxes which are worth the money are left behind.  Who made the decision to use trucks with this very limited facility? 

And they want us to take recycling seriously!!

Offline Alligator

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 06:33:31 PM »
Geoff,

I also decided to write an email to Mr Wren, but my questions were specifically related to tagging of the bins and the consultation process.

I sent the following:

Sent: 09 August 2007 18:31
To: 'dwren@swindon.gov.uk'
Subject: Introduction of wheelie bins in Swindon

Dear Mr Wren,

In your capacity as cabinet member for the local environment and with reference to the imminent introduction of wheelie bins across Swindon, I would be grateful if you could provide me with answers to the following questions.

Will the bins contain any form of electronic identification device, passive or otherwise?

Swindon Council has also stated that the consultation following a pilot showed a positive response to their use in Swindon.  Can you please confirm how and when, this consultation was carried out? In what areas of Swindon was the consultation carried out?, how many households were consulted? and how many responded?.

I would be very grateful for a prompt response to these questions as it will avoid the need for me to raise this at the next full council meeting.

Thanks and regards,

Let's see what comes back  :popcorn:

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 08:08:36 PM »
I lashed out on 4 or 5 litres of unleaded to go to the tip (You say Recycling Centre, I say tip)

Redecorating son's room while he is visiting civilisation for accent adjustment, living in Old Town I of course had ceilings and blown plaster to drop off, going well, thanks for asking.

Anyways, the recycling wagons are all parked up, for 5 days they recycled, the planet looked after itself at weekends. There are about 5 liveries in evidence on the wagons, so I guess some are leased, basically if you are not an owner driver these days, and not a complete numpty, you lease so you can flex your fleet.

Leased or not, they ain't gonna fit down here. The salvation of the planet halted cos the wagon didn't fit. I'm sure our great grandchildren will forgive the fleet manager. Pony and cart, I'm telling you, is the way to go. Laugh by all means, then think about it, how could you get anti with the recycling technicians if they had a nice old shire horse? Think of the poo for the rhubarb!

Anyway after I had slung everything in the landfill skip I had a little laugh, sitting proudly in the skip was a bright orange recycling box, Think someone misread the leaflet.

Good luck on the reply, then hit them with running costs, maintenance cost (high I would guess, lots of moving parts, tyres and and I would love to see what utilisation they are achieving. Presumably they are running clean diesel with 5 minute limiter on idle tickover, road friendly tyres and suspension.

Can't wait, but will probably have to.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline kecl

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 11:39:55 AM »
Official blue bag list:
http://193.113.179.211/bluebaglist.pdf

Criteria for not having a wheelie bin:

http://193.113.179.211/newimprovedcollections
    * it would need to be manoeuvred up or down a number of steps;
    * there is no storage space available for it without it being taken through a house for collection;
    * the home is a flat where there is no suitable storage area;
    * the front garden is too small to accommodate it and there is no alternative access;
    * there is no safe place for it to be left for collection; for instance because of a steeply sloping street.

Now, listened to Steve Harcourt and David Wren on BBC radio this morning. The mall and Goddard Avenue do not fit into any of these catagories and yet are not having wheelies because in SH's words, "The amount of street parking on both sides of the roads means that to try and get the bins between the cars to the collection vehicle would be very time consuming. We have calculated it would take between 40 to 50 minutes to get refuse vehicle down each of these roads and actually motorists would not be able to pass, it would block the roads for nearly an hour".

So if the parking really is that bad how do they manage to manoeuvre the bin bags between cars on collection day?

Parking in these streets do not look too bad from this aerial shot:
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=51.549751~-1.786759&style=h&lvl=18&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=4344397&encType=1

Could it that during the day, most people's cars are not parked there, but at their place of work?

Amazingly, the south ends of Deacon, Morse, Newhall, Stanier and Dowling Streets fit into blue bag collection, criteria 5: 'there is no safe place for it to be left for collection; for instance because of a steeply sloping street'.
So Just how steeply sloping is 'safe'? these roads are incredibly steep, but apparently are safe as they will not be having blue bags.

What a load of bunk this has turned into,  if you have a policy on which you base which properties cannot have a wheelie bin, at least work to it. It seems like a map of Swindon was laid out and one lucky blindfolded person randomly marked a given number of roads.

Sure, encourage recycling but do it in a fair and equal way, making people store a rubbish bin in small front gardens for a fortnight, with no realistic access to the rear of their properties is a selfish step too far.

I can only assume that our Conservative majority controlled council feel safe and contented with the number of seats they hold, and have no wish to add Central, Eastcott or Western to their portfolio of Wards their councillors represent.

Dick Norman

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 02:17:39 PM »
 ;) ;)

previous post from kecl

'I can only assume that our Conservative majority controlled council feel safe and contented with the number of seats they hold, and have no wish to add Central, Eastcott or Western to their portfolio of Wards their councillors represent.'

Of how wrong you are kecl, I know they thought they could at least knock over Stan the man, the trouble is they have lost the plot cos they are so fat dumb and happy and think they are doing such a good job.  Rather than think they have a cat in hells chance in securing these seats I say they are very vulnerable elsewhere.

How would you like to be involved kecl and stand as an Independent say against Rod Bluh? - I think we have had enough of the national parties they do not seem to put the interests or their constiutuents first and the interests of Swindon second.  They seem to have forgotten who put them there!!

sad isn't it!! :'( :'(

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2007, 02:30:10 PM »
The residents in some parts of the Central Ward have formed an action group named Residents Against Wheelies or R.A.W.
I wonder what the debate will be like across the dinner table of Councillors Wren and Darker
Bobby

Offline kecl

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »
How would you like to be involved kecl and stand as an Independent say against Rod Bluh?

Maybe a little difficult at the mo! But who knows what the future may bring?

Offline kecl

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 10:13:11 PM »
The residents in some parts of the Central Ward have formed an action group named Residents Against Wheelies or R.A.W.
I wonder what the debate will be like across the dinner table of Councillors Wren and Darker

R.A.W. this is in the Broadgreen area, I know a little about it ;)

As for the Wren-Darkers, they are probably on holiday again!

Offline Alligator

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »
Geoff,

I also decided to write an email to Mr Wren, but my questions were specifically related to tagging of the bins and the consultation process.

I sent the following:

Sent: 09 August 2007 18:31
To: 'dwren@swindon.gov.uk'
Subject: Introduction of wheelie bins in Swindon

Dear Mr Wren,

In your capacity as cabinet member for the local environment and with reference to the imminent introduction of wheelie bins across Swindon, I would be grateful if you could provide me with answers to the following questions.

Will the bins contain any form of electronic identification device, passive or otherwise?

Swindon Council has also stated that the consultation following a pilot showed a positive response to their use in Swindon.  Can you please confirm how and when, this consultation was carried out? In what areas of Swindon was the consultation carried out?, how many households were consulted? and how many responded?.

I would be very grateful for a prompt response to these questions as it will avoid the need for me to raise this at the next full council meeting.

Thanks and regards,

Let's see what comes back  :popcorn:

And here's his response:

Sent: 22 August 2007 16:21
To: XXXXXXXXX
Subject: RE: Introduction of wheelie bins in Swindon

Hi Mr XXXXX

In answer to your questions.

1.  There will be no form of electronic identification device, passive or otherwise, fitted into our wheelie bins.

2.   The Council consulted on fortnightly collection of residual waste in 2002 when 73.7% of respondents supported the idea.  We also carried out an extensive consultation on our Municipal Waste Management Strategy in 2006.  The consultation leaflet was distributed with Swindon News, was available on the Council's website and in public buildings and handed out at a series of road shows.  It was also distributed at major supermarkets and in the Town Centre.    Out of over 1300 responses only 23 people raised objections to fortnightly collections.  Road shows have also been held in West Swindon where fortnightly collections have successfully been in place for more than 2 years.

Hope this covers your queries.

Regards - David Wren

Councillor David Wren
Cabinet Member for Local Environment
dwren@swindon.gov.uk

Offline kecl

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 11:06:06 PM »

2.   The Council consulted on fortnightly collection of residual waste in 2002 when 73.7% of respondents supported the idea.  We also carried out an extensive consultation on our Municipal Waste Management Strategy in 2006.  The consultation leaflet was distributed with Swindon News, was available on the Council's website and in public buildings and handed out at a series of road shows.  It was also distributed at major supermarkets and in the Town Centre.    Out of over 1300 responses only 23 people raised objections to fortnightly collections.  Road shows have also been held in West Swindon where fortnightly collections have successfully been in place for more than 2 years.

The 2002 consultation, 73.7% of respondents supported fortnightly collection, well there's no argument with that is there?
Except that Cllr. Wren has failed to say that 73.7% equates to just 90, yes 90 people, infact the consultation in my mind was a failure:
http://www.swindon.gov.uk/e_-_results_of_2002_consultation_v2.pdf

Extracts from document:
10000 documents were printed and the distribution was as follows:
Libraries 5000
Council offices 3500
Leisure Centres 1000
Sent to individuals 200
Kept as stock 300

In conclusion, the number of responses has not been as numerous as this Council would wish but those we have received cover a wide spectrum of opinions and views. This should enable us to gauge what the public expects us to do next!

Question 9:
Would you consider having recyclables and non-recyclable waste collected on alternate weeks?

YES   90 (73.77%)     NO 28 (22.95%)   DON’T KNOW 4 (3.28%)

Responses in respect of Question 9:

• Limit the number of bags / bins collected each week per household.

• No – health reasons, especially in hot weather.

• Check on the life cycle of the housefly, weekly collections are essential.

• Stop collections from households putting of 7 or 9 bags of so-called household waste.

• Alternative weekly collections of all household recyclables for every house in Swindon.

Commentary:
This was a question that we did not know what sort of results to expect. As can be seen, there is a majority of people willing to have this fortnightly collection of rubbish. However, we must consider that these people have an interest in waste and recycling as they picked up this document to start with and took the time to return the card. Some intriguing points have been raised though. It seems that people are interested in following up this idea but they would have to be reassured of the implications regarding storage of waste.

So 9700 questionnaires actually distributed, 122 responses sent back, most of whom were probably 'green' anyway, the Council then admit that while 90 of the responders would accept an alternate fortnightly rubbish/recycling collection, reassurances would need to be made about storage. So no notice was taken of the last sentence above!

Onto the 2006 consultation, yes OK only 23 people raised objections to fortnightly collections, but one of the comments made by SBC on the document is:
http://193.113.179.211/results_of_waste_consultation_2006.pdf

Related Comments:
Fortnightly Collection

• Although the focus of this consultation was not about fortnightly collection or wheelie bins, 23 people commented that they wanted weekly refuse collection and did not want a fortnightly collection. The reasons for this were hot weather, concerns about fly tipping, disease, rats, flies and smelly overflowing bins

So the consultation was not about fortnightly collection OR wheelie bins, so it is no firking wonder there were only 23 objections. :uglystupid2:

Other comments:
Wheelie bin/Fortnightly refuse comments

• We live in a terraced house and can not have a wheelie bin – weekly collections to continue please

• Need more information on wheelie bins – size, weight etc.

• Against wheelie bins. I live in a mid terrace house, an OAP with some disabilities. It has ben suggested that I stick a label in the window, so bin men will collect from my door. Talk about advertising to every conman that I am an easy target – No Thanks!

Obviously the wheelie bin and fortnightly collection scheme has been introduced along the lines of the words in the following quotation:
"We have to be robust on this and all the evidence from other authorities is that firm action achieve results and people accept it".

So the whip has been cracked and we must all fall into line without question, like good little fairies.

edit typos.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:42:38 PM by kecl »