Author Topic: Councillor Glaholm Resigns As Chair Of Scrutiny.....  (Read 16521 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Councillor Glaholm Resigns As Chair Of Scrutiny.....
« on: July 27, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »
....allegedly.  ;)

Which would explain rumours of angry dissent amongst the Labour group at Swindon Borough Council.

But why would Councillor Glaholms resignation cause anger amongst the Labour group....surely they would be overtly pleased at this?

Well, I seem to remember 43 Conservative Councillors voting for the appointment of the only independant councillor to the chair of scrutiny and the Labour group voting against in their entirety and Des Moffat making a pretty definitive statement which promised a policy of non co-operation with the Conservative group regarding further appointments to the chair.

I also seem to remember Councillor Small removing Councillor Bob Wright from his chairmanship of the Licencing committee and taking the position for himself......which evidently would have softened the £4,000 knock his finances suffered when he lost the chair of scrutiny.

Then Councillor Small accused Councillor Glaholm of taking the position 'for personal gain'.

The fuss in the council chamber died down quite quickly, but Councillor Glaholm barely had time to distribute his new found wealth along Manchester road before he was nabbed for kerb crawling a second time and forced to reconsider his position.

The Labour group moved quickly to issue a press release distancing themselves from Cllr Glaholm.

So, what happens next.....and who will become the next chair of scrutiny and why are the Labour group so agitated about it?

When we have the answers to those questions, we will understand why certain members of the Labour group are as angry as wasps.....

.....anyone care to make a prediction or two ?   :popcorn:

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:57:12 PM by Geoff Reid »

Dick Norman

Re: Councillor Glaholm Resigns As Chair Of Scrutiny.....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2007, 10:36:23 AM »
 :smiley6600: :smiley6600: :smiley6600: :WTF: :WTF: :WTF:

Well Geoff, it is said there are now two sets of Councillors who are angry!!

Labour Coucillors are not reputedly angry at David Glaholm because that is now history but at their own leader Councillor Kevin small becaue he has done a deal with the 'enemy' having previously demanded their solidarity and non co-operation over his removal from the Chair of Scrutiny.

Yes, you have already beaten me to it - the current admininistration has offered it back to him and he has accepted it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  so much for soilidarity and non co-operation!!!!!

I was there at Mayor Making, as you were yourself Geoff, when Conservative Council Leader Roderick Bluh demanded a full and and unreserved apology from Councillor small for the allegations he made in local election leaflets against Conservative Councillors in general and the Conservative Administration in particular of 'lining their pockets' with Council Assets.  This collectively prompted them to seek the opinion of a London firm of Solicitors and I know that one of their number I know is still pursuing legal redress for that statement.  No apology was received at that meeting or I believe subsequently.   So Councillor small was removed from the Chair because these unsubstantiated allegations made him an unsuitable person to hold this responsibility.  So.................

What has changed?

Well, as recently as Full Council on July 19th I understand Roderick Bluh reported that no apology had been received from Councillor small.   So what amazing rehabilitation process has Councillor small undertaken to redress this situation in the ensuing NINE DAYS which has suddenly made him suitable and acceptable to undertake this important responsibility in our council?  There are many of us who doubt his ability to do the job adequately anyway with his lack of life experience and intellect  So..............

What the hell is going on  here?

The Labour Party are angry.

The Conservative party are angry.

and I the Liberal party are probably angry (don't know because they seem to have died) because Stan Pajak was not even considered and if the motives of the administration were genuine why wasn't it given to Stan Pajak?  Probably because he wasn't considered suitable, but then we have heard that before!!

Now Roderick Bluh could have been imaginative and given the post in perpituity to someone who does not really have a role in Council and who has to be Politically Neutral and that person is the Deputy Mayor.  But then is this person considered unsuitable as well?

And to those 'angry' Councillors as you were not consulted I say to you VOTE IT DOWN AT FULL COUNCIL, to show your leaders they cannot behave in this way and make your opinions irelevent.

I take it that Roderick Bluh will now be making a public apology to Councillor small as he was obviously wrong to take the Chair of Scrutiny away from him in the first place and say he was an unsuitable person.

and finally...............

You wonder why nobody takes any interest in Swindon politics - with this type of shenagens going on behind closed doors why should they?!!!!!!!!!!!

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

Offline Pandora

• Views From The Hill
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2007, 08:16:03 PM »
and finally...............

You wonder why nobody takes any interest in Swindon politics - with this type of shenagens going on behind closed doors why should they?!!!!!!!!!!!

Well i do, as it makes some bloody good reading lol  :coffee:

:popcorn: Pandora  >:D
http://www.penhill.blogswindon.org/ I AM NOT WHERE I NEED TO BE, BUT THANK GOD, I AM NOT WHERE I USED TO BE.

Offline hlt

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »
geoff
i attend the health scrutiny ie;osc at the civic and councillor glaholm is not chair just a member .peter mallinson is chair and was voted in at the first meeting after the may election,when you say scutiny which one do you mean as there are several

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 06:03:00 PM »
The commitee that Malison chairs is an overview committee. The Chair of Scrutiny has to scrutinise  the cabinet decisions
The problem is there are so many committeess now with paid allowances for the chairman it is difficult to get your head around them. I can understand your confusion.
Bobby

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »

Now Roderick Bluh could have been imaginative and given the post in perpituity to someone who does not really have a role in Council and who has to be Politically Neutral and that person is the Deputy Mayor.  But then is this person considered unsuitable as well?

If you mean the office of Deputy mayor in perpetuity, as opposed to any particular individual who happens to be holding the office at a particular time, then I think it's a really good idea.

The mayorship is handed out across all political parties, even independants and as the Deputy Mayor and Mayor are titullar, non political appointments, either would be suitable.

The Mayor chairs the full council, (Deputy Mayor does so in the Mayors absence), so if both offices are considered good enough for that duty in council, why not all the time?.

:popcorn:

Offline Alan Hayward

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2007, 07:40:55 PM »
Scrutiny is a joke anyway.

Just witness the "we vote along party lines" debacle (with the honourable exception of Cllr Keith Williams who abstained) when the Former Railway Museum was under cross examination.

I'm glad Glaholm has gone to be honest. That gives him more time to wander the streets.

And as for Scrutiny? God knows. It's a scandal.
'Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbal in the wabe

Offline Pandora

• Views From The Hill
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2007, 08:52:30 PM »
Well there is two words i would say RE: Glaholm

CHICKEN SUIT  O0

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,291093,00.html

Pandora  >:D   
http://www.penhill.blogswindon.org/ I AM NOT WHERE I NEED TO BE, BUT THANK GOD, I AM NOT WHERE I USED TO BE.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 09:11:09 PM »

hahahaa....I saw the Chickensuit piece on sky news earlier.

It would have tickled me if Cllr Glaholm had turned up at Gablecross for his caution and been instructed to don a chicken suit and 'Cluck Off' down to Manchester road for a bit instead..... :bottom:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2007, 09:17:05 PM »

...and on a more serious note:

One of our many unseen readers of Talkswindon has emailed the picture below, in the hope it will make the scrutiny process a bit easier...even for those who actually attend committees!

Thanks  :)

When we refer to the 'Chair of Scrutiny', we are referring to the Scrutiny Committee, not the Health Scrutiny Committee.  Confusing perhaps, but hey!, we don't make the rules  :)

Offline Pandora

• Views From The Hill
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 09:17:58 PM »
Hehehe,
Well that judge in Ohio is definately class lol.
Check out some of the other sentences he has dished out lol.  :2funny:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/bizarre/5003526.html

Well if they work and all that, why not !
                  Pandora  >:D

Offline Woodchopper

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 07:07:22 PM »
I have just had a good idea!!

Why doesn't David Glaholm go to the same rehabilitation centre that Kevin Small used for his miralulous turnaround?

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 10:31:36 PM »
I have just had a good idea!!

Why doesn't David Glaholm go to the same rehabilitation centre that Kevin Small used for his miralulous turnaround?

Well wot a cluckin good idea innit! Sounds finger lickin good.  :bottom:

Hel   >:D
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Dick Norman

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 06:59:06 PM »
Well done Chav  :bottom:

but being serious for one moment, my suggestion re being imaginative and giving the position of Chair of Scrutiny to the position of Deputy Mayor is in line with the Conservative Administration's desire to depoliticise the position through its changes to the constitution at Mayor Making or was it just expedient to :bottom: Kevin small.

This suggestion goes with the position whoever they are and whatever political persuasion they represent so this year it would be Steve Wakefield and next year whoever is Deputy Mayor in 2008/9. 

Surely this is the only way forward.  but...........

I have yet to hear the apology that Roderick Bluh must now give to Kevin small now that he is to be reinstated or have we not heard the last of this debacle?

You Councillors are ominously quiet or are you making it someone elses problem?  Either way.......

:WTF:

PS have you silenced Dave Wood - Woodchopper?  It is so quiet in Liberal circles it seems they all have gone to heaven, now I would have thought you would have kicked off about this situation and your man Stan being ignored?

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 11:37:21 PM »
PS have you silenced Dave Wood - Woodchopper?  It is so quiet in Liberal circles it seems they all have gone to heaven, now I would have thought you would have kicked off about this situation and your man Stan being ignored?

Alas The Man has been out of the UK for the duration of this gossip and I tend to go on what I hear for sure rather than rumour. And of course it hasn't been confirmed to me, but then why would it? :)

But no dirty deals would surprise me, I know how these things go.

Dick Norman

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 10:33:53 AM »
Hi Dave

Glad you have come out of the woodwork so to speak!! 

I am very surprised that I am, as a member of the public, better informed than a Councillor!!

I can assure you this information is correct and if you are worthy of your seat as a Liberal at the very least you should be checking this information and discussing it amongst your group of three, which if you are not very careful could become a group of two next May!

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 12:37:22 PM »
Dave baiting season ALREADY??! He's only been back on the forum for a couple of days!

Roll with the punches Dave... But political views (as opposed to personal?) would be welcome, as I would have thought that the Lib Dems would be able to make a good case to have one of their number in the position of Chair of Scrutiny.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Dick Norman

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 06:09:53 PM »
Well Tobes,

If you consider I am baiting the Liberals I apologise....... but if this results in them taking action to prevent this Farcical and Degrading U Turn (Margaret must be doing somersaults) and thus makes sure that Stan Pajak replaces David Glaholm and not the horribly opportunistic Kevin small who had the temerity to acuse DG of doing it for financial reasons then I shall consider it a result..........

Meanwhile Councillors with exception of Dave Wood are noted for their silence!!!

:bottom: :bottom: .......as these are in fashion!!

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 11:31:56 PM »
It's really fairly simple with not much by way of analysis required:
- Tories feel Small is misbehaving
- Tories, presumably, feel some punitive action is in order
- Tories discuss Stan as Chair of Scrutiny
- Glaholm becomes independent
- Tories change to Glaholm as Chair of Scrutiny
- Small becomes, erm, less vocal
- ?Glaholm resigns?
- ?Tories, presumably, feel no more punitive action is needed
- ?Tories chose Small for Chair of Scrutiny?

Sometimes politics is a cynical game and sometimes it's not.  You might be able to guess the name of this game.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 11:36:16 PM »
Dave baiting season ALREADY??! He's only been back on the forum for a couple of days!

Roll with the punches Dave... But political views (as opposed to personal?) would be welcome, as I would have thought that the Lib Dems would be able to make a good case to have one of their number in the position of Chair of Scrutiny.

Everyone knows the case, really.  There's a reason Stan's name was 'first in the frame' for Chair of Scrutiny.  His experience, honesty, humour, charisma and need to do the right thing is known by all. 

But it does interfere with General Election messages such as 'the Lib Dems are a spent force in Swindon, vote Lib Dem if you want to let Labour back in' are somewhat undermined by giving such a position to a Lib Dem.