Author Topic: RP Paper Finally in Public Domain!  (Read 16370 times)

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
Re: RP Paper Finally in Public Domain!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 03:24:54 AM »
I hope everyone will be onboard and willing to work on this, just a shame that once again the Liberals didn't bother to turn to a meeting affecting residents!

Sorry to get in the way of your sniping but Stan is in Poland, I understand Martin to be away on business and, whilst it had been my firm intention to come and say my peace, I was admitted to A&E half an hour before the meeting started.

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 05:33:37 PM »
whilst it had been my firm intention to come and say my peace, I was admitted to A&E half an hour before the meeting started.

I'm confused Mr Wood.

Would 'saying your piece' on Talkswindon be as a member of the public or as one of the elected Councillors in my ward?.  I, for one, am left bewildered as to what your chosen role is when you appear on Talkswindon, and I'm buggered if I can detect what your input, or that of your colleagues Cllr's Pajak and Wiltshire, has actually been throughout the entire residents parking consultation.

As far as I can tell, the 'Eastcott Three' have delayed proceedings, whinged, whined, moaned, pointed the finger of blame almost anywhere but at themselves and seem to have established a proven track record of not bothering to turn up to meetings or speak in the council chamber.

Your recent: 'I know a secret, but I can't publicly tell you what it is but if you phone me I might deem to tell you' stunt was infantile and insulting to many who bothered to visit the polling station and vote LibDem.

I won't make that mistake again and I sincerely hope a credible alternative candidate is on offer in Eastcott when Stan the Man is up for re-election next year. 

Tobes from this very forum, a member of the public that you are supposed to represent, has proven himself to be a better advocate of Eastcotts residents interests than the combined efforts of three bloody councillors  :bash:

I hope that Tobes can be persuaded to stand for election next year because I for one don't like the idea that, while I'm struggling to park outside my own house, LibDem councillors are collecting an SBC councillors wage but doing next to sweet fanny adams for it. Allegedly.

Please tell me, (without the use of excuses), why a vote for a Liberal Democrat councillor isn't a wasted vote. Don't give me reasons why you haven't done something, tell me what you are doing.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 07:21:54 PM »
WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME HOW BIG A SODDING SPACE IS?

Is it 9ft, 12ft, 15ft, or a previously alleged 23ft (on this very forum back when I was a year younger)

The Highway Code says 4m, (must be a french version) which in English is 13ft, now if you are calculating at 15ft to allow for shuffle room, fair enough, but if you are at 16ft you are wasting 1ft, which is a net waste of, mmmm, 3279ft, or a frankly astonishing 252 cars. Average ones mind.

See, I might be a fatuous oaf, but every so often there is a glimmer.

Because if you can't tell me HOW BIG A SODDING SPACE IS!! how in the hell do you know what you are counting? You are arguing about something that has not been defined, now that is perfectly permissible in a philosophical or theological debate but these are parking spaces. HOW SODDING BIG ARE THEY?

When defined, paint them in and fine the arse off anyone who cannot navigate into one.

Point 2, Dave, I voted Lib Dem cos you said you would do the business, I'm sorry about the A&E thing and all that, but I am a mercenary bugger and I must admit my allegiance is flagging. I know I am bit of a single subject bore (actually I can bore on any number of subjects, the less I know about it the better) but you need to put yourself about a bit, or let us know when you do.

Finally, PARKING SPACES, HOW BIG???!!
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Dale Heenan

• Covingham and Nythe Intouch
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 08:55:05 PM »
I'm not sure what the space size is now but at Planning Committee on 14th August, the Parking Standards policy will be saying:

Car parking Dimensions Individual Car Parking Space
4.8m x 2.4m
Tandem Parking / Parallel Parking
6.0m x 2.4m
Dedicated Parking Space
4.8m x 3.6m (minimum width)

Garages will be larger than the current standard by about a 1m. It will also have various diagrams to show how to put these into practice in as clear a way as possible.
Other than that I can't say a great deal because it's in the prepublishing stage. Another 8/9 days before the full details are public.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 10:11:30 PM »
Ta very muchly.

Individual parking space, 15 and a half foot, by 8ft, Fair enough, can't grumble with that. I'm thinking this is multi storeys and pay and displays? I can even get the old ozone muncher in a space like that.

Tandem parking, did think of something sarky about permits for pushbikes but I reckon you mean the residents style on street parking.

Did you know that the french 6 metres when translated into English is a stonking 19 and a half feet, well jiminy cricket no wonder we have run out of the bloody space things. A Ford Transit is 15 ft 2ins, the frankly astounding Chrysler 300C comes in at a smidge over 16ft (I like that one), a Challenger Tank is 27ft (ok, bit big but it helps with context) the Bentley Flying Spur W12 goes 17ft, a Range Rover is a tad over 16 ft and a Golf is 13 and a half feet, so even allowing for a steering wheel made of cooked spaghetti you would think that, generally, 19 and a half feet is a more than generous provision to allow parallel parking.

Wind it down to 18ft and I give you 378 additional parking spaces that are five feet longer than the average UK car, 2 and a half foot longer than the ones we pay sbc 70p an hour for or whatever it has gone up to now. All that is asked in return, from the user, is a moderate ability in the discipline of parallel parking, what I am saying is that your space spec is way out and I am surprised sbc hasn't grasped the opportunity to magic some more up by this simple, and basically, petty honest bit of jiggery pokery. Bays to enforce it though.

Dedicated parking space is what then? It's a very funny shape.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 10:55:21 PM »
I know I've said this before but since it's come up again I thought it important to reiterate.

I do not, and will not, make it my business to engage with biased, er, people who spout nonsense.

I speak as myself on this forum, not as a formal representative of anyone else.  That's my place.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 11:07:41 PM »
Point 2, Dave, I voted Lib Dem cos you said you would do the business, I'm sorry about the A&E thing and all that, but I am a mercenary bugger and I must admit my allegiance is flagging. I know I am bit of a single subject bore (actually I can bore on any number of subjects, the less I know about it the better) but you need to put yourself about a bit, or let us know when you do.

Hi Mart,

With the greatest respect I am not accountable to a chat forum.  I am accountable to my residents.  I regularly tell my residents what I do directly, in the same way as my colleagues have done for 20 years.  And the residents tell us they are happy with that three years out of four at the ballot box.
To put this into context there is no ward the Tories have held peoples' confidence in every for the time period.  There are 2-3 Labour areas where they have, but these are 'natural' Labour areas.  Eastcott is not a 'natural' Lib Dem area; we would frequently come 3rd before Stan stood.  We work hard and tell people what we've done, that's the only reason most people elect us year after year.

I could spend all my time justifying myself to a small number of people on here, but I've already been told by Tory councillor posters here that that's a waste of time.

Dave

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 01:59:35 AM »
Accidental post.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 02:00:56 AM »
And another.

Peach

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 06:36:12 AM »
I could spend all my time justifying myself to a small number of people on here, but I've already been told by Tory councillor posters here that that's a waste of time.

For some of us, this forum is the only contact our councillors make so it would be a shame if they few that do stopped posting. (I'm not including reading about them kerb crawling, or driving without the correct documentation in the adver as contact).

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 07:24:18 AM »
Peach/Mart/Jarvis.

I do believe that Mr Woods paucity of experience and lack of years have tempted him into flipping you, and every other reader of Talkswindon, the Agincourt salute.

Still, looking on the bright side, Woody is secure in his belief that TS contributors and readers are insignificant....and they, in turn, can be satisfied that it's only another 8 months until they can deliver a suitably insignificant message to Ole Pappy Pajak at the ballot box.

Good job Davey!, keep it up and you'll soon be sharing Eastcott with a Snelgrovian finger puppet.   

:)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 07:45:40 AM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 04:42:34 PM »
Admin received this email today from one of it's many unregistered guests. It is reproduced here with the kind permission of the author.

Name and address were supplied.

"I think that Dave Wood is entitled to make any point he wants in whatever capacity he chooses to do so. He is engaging in the debate here along with other people and elected members from SBC. I personally as a ward resident do not believe that this forum is a waste of time, on the contrary, I believe it read by far more people than contribute to it.  I know more about parking issues now than I would ever get from an article in other media.

I find time spent reading TalkSwindon is just like the time I spend out and about meeting people.  It keeps my feet very firmly attached  to the ground. From my own experience working in the public sector, some councils aspire to become "dream factories" and then councillors complain when their well constructed "Ivory Towers" are brought crashing to the ground by the electorate. That is why I think more councillors would benefit from closer involvement with Talkswindon, It's a quick cure for "Ivory Toweritus".

I personally believe forums like this are more than just talking shops, they are micro opinion formers in the very relevant and very important local community, in which I live. I have often said that the "goss" at the parish pump carries far more weight than a thousand copper plated press releases or official statements. It is the modern equivalent of Graffiti or murals, both of which have been used throughout the centuries to inform the wider public about politics and, if you recall from history, Ceaser was warned by Graffiti appearing all over Rome depicting  people behind him with a knife to his back, and the saying beware ides of march. History shows that in his bravado he dismissed it publicly as a waste of time! Though those close to him thought that it clouded his judgment as it preoccupied him so much. That he was actually blinded to the events on the ides of March.

I know from my own experience that TS has an important function in Swindon and I am sure that there are many politicians who would dearly love to have a TS in their area but for whatever reason don't. There may even be some politicians that feel or believe they can't join for various reasons? and may even be some politicians who, in their own minds, dismiss TS very much like Ceaser did? I could not possibly comment, but as they say beware the ides of March.

The basic tenet is that TalkSwindon is not about politicians, it is about local issues for local people and people can contribute in whatever way they want to. The agenda is a bit like a moving feast, dip in pick something out that catches your eye and taste it or just graze through it trying everything either way "

It is worth mentioning that admin often receives several hundred emails each week from people who are not registered forum members, but who indicate that they are regular readers of the forum.

From the many thousands of emails received since the 29th of March 2006 less than 6 have been anything less than complimentary or encouraging towards the Talkswindon forum.

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 05:13:22 PM »
I am merely a concerned Old Town resident not affiliated to any political party (although I know couple of the conservative councillors socially) and I think Dave is my councillor although never met him.

From what I have seen been quite impressed with Dave as my ward councillor we get the occassional update newsletter (and liked the fact that encouraged feedback on which issues we want him to concentrate on.) He does seems quite dilligent in trying to get things and appreciate his feedback and input to this forum.

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 05:34:47 PM »
*sighs heavily

I know I've said this before but since it's come up again I thought it important to reiterate.

I do not, and will not, make it my business to engage with biased, er, people who spout nonsense.

I speak as myself on this forum, not as a formal representative of anyone else.  That's my place.

Is that even possible?, you are an elected member of the local council and when you pass comment on anything related to the council, its policies or actions, you are, by definition passing comment as Councillor Dave Wood, elected representative of Eastcott ward.

For you to deny this is arrogant in the extreme and I personally think you are now verging on bringing your office into disrepute.

Your arrogance is further demonstrated by this statement:

I was about to demonstrate attendant irony, and rank hypocrisy contained within the above quote by supplying various quotes from the 'blog' section of the Swindon Liberal Democrat website.

Unfortunately the relevant section of Councillor Woods public information orifice is no longer public, and is now displaying the message "This blog is open to invited readers only".

Previous to the Liberal Democrats taking this curiously illiberal move to restrict access to their site, it would have been the work of moments to illustrate how Councillor Woods versions of recent events differs radically from everyone elses. Put bluntly, most of the 'facts' contained in his his blog are 'questionable', several more just don't tally with verifiable and recorded data.

Perhaps it's not surprising that access to his blog has been restricted to 'invited readers only'. If it ever does become publicly available again you can rest assured its content will have been thoroughly checked and edited.

Peach touched on an interesting point when he/she said:

For some of us, this forum is the only contact our councillors make so it would be a shame if they few that do stopped posting. (I'm not including reading about them kerb crawling, or driving without the correct documentation in the adver as contact).

So why are the Liberal Democrats restricting access to the very part of their site which allows residents of Eastcott the opportunity to read about their councillors activities?, is this behaviour Liberal or democratic?.

I think not.

Grow up Councillor Wood, and start living up to the responsibiity of your elected position and learn to deal with the everyday knocks that other Councillors take for granted.

If you are unable to stop yourself veering between Councillor one minute, and member of the public the next, and seeing tories behind every every piece of received criticism, you should admit you're not up to the job, stop letting your residents down and resign.

Being elected a councillor didn't imbibe you with superhero powers and you can't just return to public anonymity as and when it suits you.

You are not a Clark Kent type figure, able to flit between personas. You are an elected councillor.  Start behaving like one.

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 05:38:37 PM »

From what I have seen been quite impressed with Dave as my ward councillor we get the occassional update newsletter (and liked the fact that encouraged feedback on which issues we want him to concentrate on.) He does seems quite dilligent in trying to get things and appreciate his feedback and input to this forum.

We'll agree to disagree on our respective levels of satisfaction with Mr/Cllr Woods performance  :)

Offline James

« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2007, 10:38:46 AM »

This must make local politics quite a lonely experience...

James

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »
Davey boy, just been catching up and I do believe you are having a pop back, well that is encouraging.

I never made any secret when we first crossed paths of my view on local politics and cheerfully stated that I would vote for anyone who got off their arse vis a vis residents parking, as I recall you said you were that man. So I voted for you, so I am shallow, so what? People like me are the lifeblood of politicians.

Points to make then.

Of course people are bloody biased, wouldn't be a lot of point in all these political parties otherwise would there? When their bias lines up with your stated bias you get a vote. Kerching!

One person's nonsense is another's dearly held belief put as well as they can express it, bit of a Marie Antoinette moment there I feel, crudely dismissive.

Of course you speak as yourself, but your position contributes to who you are in the perception of others. It's a cake and eat it thing. When you pinged up the residents parking stuff you said you had seen it, but we couldn't, who were you then, dave the councillor, or dave the chap?

I accept you are not accountable to a this forum, though it is where you first came onto my radar as it were, but I am one of 'your' residents, and I ramble on his forum. I can behave like a bit of a tosser in any medium but the distinction you make between the communication methods is too fine for me. The comment about the support from the Tory, tell me you don't have whingeing sessions about how ungrateful the electorate are?

I fear you are going native and that would confirm my belief that most politicians, regardless of station or party, are fundamentally the same.

Offline James

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2007, 04:24:16 PM »
Much as I've enjoyed reading the other posts, I'd still quite like to know the answer to this one...

Do you know when the advisory groups first set of recommendations are be expected to be delivered?

James

James

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2007, 08:11:38 PM »
Give it 12 months I reckon.

I have experience in these matters, but then ain't we all?

Offline James

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2007, 12:10:02 AM »
So with a little creative stalling, this could last us until the next election!

James