Author Topic: Jan 11th 2015 - Swindon Police Investigate Serious Sexual Assault In Muggers Alley  (Read 10857 times)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
A footbridge across the railway was planned for when the Research Councils were built, but someone at Thamesdown Borough Council cocked up.

The footbridge which crosses from the central platform to North Star car park was always going to be extended to the station forecourt. When the borough built Phase 1 they agreed an easement strip over the railway for Phase 2. Problem was they forgot to include the bridge supports on the plans. The borough has the legal right to build a footbridge through the air, but not to place any bridge supports or foundations on Network Rail property.

SBC tried to negotiate, but at the time British Rail Property Board favoured an underpass lined with retail units as part of a major station upgrade. They tried to force SBC's hand, but the underpass was over budget, so nothing happened. Over the years, the stakeholders have changed (British Rail, British Rail Property Board, Railtrack, Network Rail, First Great Western etc) and so have their priorities.

At one time (around 2000 I think), the budget for the footbridge extension was £1 million and the estimated cost of an underpass was £2 million.

If a new footbridge is built, pedestrians will be less visible than they are using the existing underpass unless the parapets are made of glass. The underpass is at the same level as the footpath, so passing motorists can see into it. A footbridge will be approx. 6m above the railway, which is already about 3m above the footpath. The parapets will have to be solid and at least 1.5m high to meet Network Rail standards. Unless the parapets are constructed in glass, they are just replacing a tunnel in the ground with a tunnel through the sky.

This is why I said Justin was jumping on the Muggers Alley bandwagon. This has nothing to do with solving the Muggers Alley problem. It is about regeneration. Justin even hints at this in the article, as he says they will never justify the expense on safety grounds !!!! Regeneration clearly trumps safety.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Thanks for that Spunky, really interesting :)

In the meantime then, how about closing the underpass, extending and improving the foot and cycleways alongside Great Western Way to the Cockleberry roundabout?

Offline Muggins

Need shortage distance Geoff I have to rely on a battery!

I wondered what these two were up to?   :vampire:
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

If you were perambulating your way onto the Western Flyer via Northern Road, and heading to Beckhampton Street, then my proposed route is shorter  :thumb:

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !

Get some solar panels fitted.

Offline Muggins

Get some solar panels fitted.

Nor helpful Spunky - not available!

If you were perambulating your way onto the Western Flyer via Northern Road, and heading to Beckhampton Street, then my proposed route is shorter  :thumb:

Then I will certainly try it out - are there dropped kerbs all the way? Because if I get so far and have to turn back and seek dropped kerbs it probably won't be shorter.

And what I like about the canal route is that I can get on it and welly along at 8/9mph it takes me about 5 minutes to get from one end to the other also fewer people and other users to dodge around.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Quote from: Geoff Reid

Then I will certainly try it out - are there dropped kerbs all the way? Because if I get so far and have to turn back and seek dropped kerbs it probably won't be shorter.

And what I like about the canal route is that I can get on it and welly along at 8/9mph it takes me about 5 minutes to get from one end to the other also fewer people and other users to dodge around.

You'll note that I described my shorter route as 'proposed' :)

Offline Muggins

So its 'scooter it' and report back then?  :hippy:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
So its 'scooter it' and report back then?  :hippy:

Good luck with that, it's not been built yet :)

Offline Muggins

Whoops, that'll teach me not to multi task and scan read at the same time.

Ok so let me know when the consultations start.  ;D ;D ;D ;D