Author Topic: Time to raise a General Election 2015 sub board  (Read 5320 times)

Offline Weebleman

Time to raise a General Election 2015 sub board
« on: January 05, 2015, 10:19:47 PM »
Mods,
As the 2015 electioneering has apparently kicked off today could we please have a 'General Election 2015' sub board added to the 'Elections' board?

To start things rolling........

I have just watched Ed Balls on the BBC News at 10, and with Christmas Crackers still in mind I have made up a joke.......

Q: What do Ed Balls and Evette Cooper have on their toast?

A: SMARMalade :santa_cool:

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Time to raise a General Election 2015 sub board
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 04:32:58 PM »
Q: What do Ed Balls and Evette Cooper have on their toast?

A: SMARMalade :santa_cool:

Very good Weeble!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:43:19 PM »
Thanks for raising the new board Geoff. If today's PMQs were anything to go by I reckon things are going to heat up pretty quickly, but I wonder if 5 months of relentless bickering is actually going to convince anyone to change their current voting intention or just be a complete turn-off.

I look forward to hearing of your experiences during your canvasing Richard. Good Luck!

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 10:25:24 AM »
Good morning Weeble, I have been canvassing since November 8th when Nick Martin threatened me with legal action!  Very unwise.

There is a great deal of apathy out there and anything could happen including me taking Shaw.

I am interested to hear offline what people think on which I should be concentrating my extremely limited time energy and resources. it hasn't helped that I have had difficulties in walking recently and presently do not have a roadworthy car.  I certainly have become very familiar with our bus services though!

All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 03:02:36 AM »
Good morning Weeble, I have been canvassing since November 8th when Nick Martin threatened me with legal action!  Very unwise.

There is a great deal of apathy out there and anything could happen including me taking Shaw.

I am interested to hear offline what people think on which I should be concentrating my extremely limited time energy and resources. it hasn't helped that I have had difficulties in walking recently and presently do not have a roadworthy car.  I certainly have become very familiar with our bus services though!

Who are you standing for?  Independents just don't get any coverage. 
Make sure you get invited to hustings etc.
Ask schools if you can do a Talk to the kids.   They are more certain to talk to their parents about it, than if you just leaflet.
Hold meetings... You can get the libraries to put up notices for free if its a public interest issue.
Schools are also supposed to offer rooms to political parties after lessons, but no election has yet been called so all this
political PR is sort of risky so close to the election.  It could be counted as proper Election expenses.
Mind you I think some parties are creative with them anyways..

It's all geared for parties with money.  Hard for independants to break thru.

- One issue in Old Town and Central is parking.   Lack of being able to just pop in to town has been slowly killing the good smaller shops.
They should introduce the same parking system as at the hospital.
- FREE for first 30mins and then charge, but  pay on exit and not fine people.

SBC could do that with all its Multi Storey Parking and more people would get used to using them.
The new Supermarket at Regent st does it.  SBC should stop being greedy and give Swindon shops a chance to get back the business they have lost over the years.

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 03:02:15 PM »
- One issue in Old Town and Central is parking.   Lack of being able to just pop in to town has been slowly killing the good smaller shops.
They should introduce the same parking system as at the hospital.
- FREE for first 30mins and then charge, but  pay on exit and not fine people.

Don't forget buses. There used to be a couple of bus services that ran from West Swindon to Old Town, but no longer. Now if anyone in West Swindon wants to head to Old Town, they have to catch one bus into town, vault over the fence down the middle of Fleming Way, then wait for another bus to take them to Old Town. That's why my family and I hardly ever go there.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 10:46:34 PM »
Good to see our Tobes finally outed as a Liberal and standing in Eastcott   :thumb: 

and also our Terry aka 'Kohima' Reynolds standing for UKIP in Priory Vale  :clap:

so what happened to Ikky then?   :'(

oh and I am NOT standing in Shaw this year, no funds to make it happen, but there is always next year, anyway I have other fish to fry just now!   :fish:

Offline Karsten

Double Yellows in back alleys.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 02:25:22 AM »
Standing in Central as Independent.  Karsten Evans
Removal of Extraordinary order for Resident Parking Zones ( 3 Dec 2014 ).

Why because SBC after holding a 'public survey'  where most people who bothered to reply said to "Leave Residents Parkins as it is!", decided that we needed change and then issued an extraordinary public order changing the Resident's Parking Order in place so SBC could paint Double Yellow Parking lines down the back alleys of Central's Parkings zones.

First off all, it is my land.  Off my Land!   
My title deed says that half of that alleys is mine not SBCs.
The back alleys are not public and belong to the houses.
I have a right to be able to use it to unload, wash my car etc without having SBC send its parking attendants to fine me.

Anyone that votes for me votes to remove the Extra Ordinary Order and to remove the Double Yellow lines.
At bare minimum there has to an exception sign for all residents.

--
If you also want someone to highlight and challenge Council decisions like lending/ giving money to companies that have no records whatso ever  e.g. Digital City, UKB, Sell off Giveaway of Oasis.   :argh:

Don't count on MPs and other councillors, as I say No actions speak a lot louder than words.  :bash: :surrender:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 09:21:53 AM »
Karsten does that also mean you do not expect the council to clean up the backsies?

You could be on a loser there.  If the council finds out they don't own the backsies and they are private land they won't expect to be asked to clear up!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 09:47:02 AM »
Karsten does that also mean you do not expect the council to clean up the backsies?

You could be on a loser there.  If the council finds out they don't own the backsies and they are private land they won't expect to be asked to clear up!

Took the words right out of my mouth, SBC will be overjoyed to hear that they no longer have to look after it!  Even better they might try and send a backdated bill.

Oh and Karsten, I'd double check your deeds you might find you and your neighbours have the right to pass and repass over land in the alleyway.  Thing is that means just that pass and repass - aka drive/walk over not park/wash car.  You really don't want to open this can of worms.

Offline Phil Chitty

• The user formerly ph1lc
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 11:12:54 AM »
Most disappointing to see Steve Wakefield not standing in Mannington, but challenging in the East.
The candidate Labour have chosen is the best reason I can find to vote Tory.

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2015, 04:28:39 PM »
From your contributions and comments, I doubt that you would never vote anything other than Tory, so what's different in a candidate? :knuppel2:

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 05:24:14 PM »
Most disappointing to see Steve Wakefield not standing in Mannington, but challenging in the East.

I was surprised to see Steve Wakefield going head to head with Dale Hennan in Covingham and Dorcan, given that it is traditionally a Tory area.

My girlfriend thought he was standing down this year, so is it a case that he is standing as a token candidate or does it mean Labour think they have a chance of taking a Tory stronghold?  :popcorn:

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 05:32:23 PM »
The back alleys were always a responsibilty shifting grey area.

When the same car continually parked, at the entrance of a Dean Street alley, I spent a considerable amount of time, over many weeks, complaining to the police and the council.

The council always said it was private property.
The police said it was the council's responsibility.

Based on the council's attitude, I toyed with the idea of putting a large shed in the alleyway.

In the end I dealt with the offending vehicle in my own inventive way.
Much to the amusement of the other neighbours and the police officer who asked for my help in removing my home made "wheel clamping system"
Proud to be gone

Offline Karsten

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2015, 06:06:50 PM »
The council already know that the back alleys are not their property.
That is why there have not been any lines painted before.
The sewers (rain water and foul) are classed as public though so the council have access rights as do the public.

The "Off my Land"  is meant to be funny.  I cannot build or grow anything on it and it is meant for access. :)

SBC have done nothing to the back alleys since '97, except clear some dumped rubbish (after numerous calls) and they swapped all the metal drain covers with plastic.

Having SBC Traffic Wardens patrolling them is not my idea of looking after them.

The reason I'm standing is so people can vote to get them removed or changed so residents don't get fined.
More people are against them, than for.
If no one reacts them SBC will just use them to increase revenue thru parking fines.

If someone votes for me then that is a voice saying No to Double Yellow Lines.
At least then it will mean something as votes for me can be counted as people against the Double Yellow lines.
If enough vote for me then it can be used to argue the retraction of the Extraordinary Order made to Resident Parking.

I know some people were forever using the alleys for wrong reasons and some used them to escape paying for Residents Parking, but these can be sorted using normal regulations.
A single yellow line would have made more sense for those cases.

What would be better is if people could report such parking to the Resident Parking office or SBC local teams and they could then talk to offenders and if need be take appropriate action.
I think most problems were people using car stereos and annoying everyone which is noise pollution not a parking offence.
Why punish everyone because of a few offenders.

The other point is that the SBC did a token survey and people (not many) voted to 'Keep Resident Parking as it is with no increases'.
The Council just ignored that and went ahead without sending out a clear letter.   
They tied a  few laminated A4 sheets to lamp posts in the cross alleys.
I had one pointed out to me in Nelson street, there were none on my street.

I think people are fed up of SBC just imposing 'ideas' on them with no proper consultation.

This 'Double Yellow'  idea  is a clear farce without any thought.  They even did it on footpaths.

Offline Karsten

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 06:22:31 PM »
The back alleys were always a responsibilty shifting grey area.

When the same car continually parked, at the entrance of a Dean Street alley, I spent a considerable amount of time, over many weeks, complaining to the police and the council.

The council always said it was private property.
The police said it was the council's responsibility.

Based on the council's attitude, I toyed with the idea of putting a large shed in the alleyway.

In the end I dealt with the offending vehicle in my own inventive way.
Much to the amusement of the other neighbours and the police officer who asked for my help in removing my home made "wheel clamping system"

This happens because someone is trying to avoid Resident Parking, and is really a Parking issue.   
The alleys are to be kept accessible for fire personnel by law, so they could have fined him for obstruction.
They didn't as they can't be bothered and prefer to stir up conflicts then point to Resident Parking zones as being the solution when its really the cause.

You should have been able to report him to Residents Parking/Police and then they could have issued a warning then a fine.

In the original Resident Parking before 2003 they used to do this, but then 'officers' were not council employees but local volunteers
(think they did get paid a little).

As for you method of solving it.   Not condoning but would like to know more. :thumb:
Did you try talking to the local Fire station? 

Can understand your frustration, how did it turn out in the end?   
Do you now have an angry neighbour plotting revenge?

This should have been sorted by Resident Parking and a local councillor.

Offline Richard Symonds

Nick Martin's Shaw Leaflet & The Thamesdown Drive Extension
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 09:54:57 PM »
I thought you would like to see the ‘support’ that Nick Martin, Conservative Councillor and ex Mayor, has promised us for the road in his leaflet.

It reads as follows:

THAMESDOWN DRIVE EXTENSION

Councillor Keith Williams says “I’m pleased to announce that the Conservative Group position on the Thamesdown Drive Extension is:

The Conservatives have given the green light for the writing of the Outline Business Case for the Thamesdown Drive Extension, to be submitted to the Department of Transport.  This gives the go ahead for the first stage in developing a new road.

The Council has prepared a cost benefit analysis

We will identify what other road improvements can be made in the area.

We disagree with the consultants and say the Conservative Group do not believe that dualing Mead Way / Akers Way is the answer to local traffic problems.

The Council needs to agree the future of Cheney Manor Industrial Estate.”

I must say I had thought that Keith Williams had relinquished the position of Lead Member for Transport some nine months ago and that Dale Heenan was the Lead for Transport.

Is there something we do not know?

What do you think?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 09:57:27 PM »

I was surprised to see Steve Wakefield going head to head with Dale Hennan in Covingham and Dorcan, given that it is traditionally a Tory area.

My girlfriend thought he was standing down this year, so is it a case that he is standing as a token candidate or does it mean Labour think they have a chance of taking a Tory stronghold?  :popcorn:

As the Advertiser reported Steve was retiring who is to say they have got it wrong?

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 12:06:25 AM »
As the Advertiser reported Steve was retiring who is to say they have got it wrong?

Contesting a seat that he doesn't expect/want to win?  :WTF:

Shame if that is the case, he was one of the good guys.