Author Topic: University for Swindon  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Matt1971

• Hello !
University for Swindon
« on: November 14, 2014, 03:05:11 PM »
Buckinghamshire new university is planning a new campus in Swindon in today's advertiser.They are looking to have it up and running Sept next year and are currently speaking with a landlord to develop an existing buliding.Although I would love Swindon to have it's own University this surely is good news for the town,I just hope that the site is in the town center not out on some industrial estate. Hopefully  the council have learned from their mistakes that had turned Swidon into a "Doughnut" town.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Re: University for Swindon
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »
Hopefully  the council have learned from their mistakes ...

A forlorn hope I'm afraid Matt...it seem that they can never learn.

Mind you, as they seem to think that they know everything about everything, they probably think that there is nothing more to learn. After all, they have an endless supply of money to waste!
What's it all about?

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 05:39:13 PM »
Hopefully  the council have learned from their mistakes ...

A forlorn hope I'm afraid Matt...it seem that they can never learn.

Mind you, as they seem to think that they know everything about everything, they probably think that there is nothing more to learn. After all, they have an endless supply of money to waste!

Hopefully the council aren't having too much of an input location-wise.  I'd have thought one of the (half)empty office blocks in the town centre would be ideal.   

Redeveloping the town centre around a university campus is probably the best thing to do with, because lets face it there clearly isn't demand for office space and even with improved shops it's not going to be a 1st tier shopping destination like Bristol.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »
Better than nowt I guess.

Mind you, the meaning (and associated civic benefits) of having a University is entirely changing.

Once it would have meant people of aspiration coming to a seat of learning. Now, sadly, it more akin to a hybrid production line mixed with holiday camp. Students are increasingly 'buying' degrees with their student loans and overdrafts rather than as a reward for being in the top 10% academically (and being invested in by tax payers) - and like anyone paying large amounts of money, they increasingly expect to be housed and live a lifestyle which bears no resemblance to the kind I had when I was a student. This is not about education so much as running a business. Many of the advantages having a 'cultural and creative soul' to the town in the form of a University which would once have applied have probably now been missed.

I suspect Swindon is attractive to the University of Buckingham because its a relatively cheap place to buy property (meaning good profit margins) - not to mention one in which the council are 'highly flexible' when it comes to building re-use.  I very much doubt the University of Buckinghamshire's marketing department will be promoting the Swindon connection very high, eh?  :wink: (rather like the University of Bath's proposals)

If a University is 'of the town' - ie it provides a balance of courses likely to appeal to a cross section of the towns own post A level kids, then I'm pro an in-town University. If its just another campus of an out of town (not to mention county!) University, then I think I'd prefer it to be in one of the industrial estates. Nucleating student accommodation around a town centre campus can play havoc with nearby communities and it can be very socially destabilising. We have enough drunken hedonists on the streets in the form of our aboriginals as it is.

Mind you, reading the detail of the piece, it all looks like pie in the sky at the moment:

My italics for emphasis:

It goes on to read: “A project looking at the space needs for an HE campus in Swindon has been completed and a potential option established, as required by the actions authorised by the council when the HE strategy was approved.

Informal discussions have been held with both the current occupiers and the landlord of the potential option for an HE centre.

Over the coming weeks and months the council and Buckinghamshire New University will ensure the agreement is signed before working together to apply for the funding needed to develop the campus.

No agreements in writing. No funding established.

Sounds like the council spin machine in operation a little prematurely to me.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'