Author Topic: Destruction of a Nature Reserve  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
Destruction of a Nature Reserve
« on: November 07, 2014, 09:12:50 PM »
Between Westlea Industrial Estate and Barnfield Industrial Estate, is a pretty little nature reserve, with a stream and lots of wildlife. It's nice to look at when cycling from West Swindon to the centre, unfortunately whilst re-building the bridge, the council have decided to cut down a whole load of perfectly good trees between the bridge and Barnfield. In the spring, bluebells used to grow amongst those trees, but I doubt they will now!

Apparently this was done because Thames Water needed the trees removing for work they need to do, but did they really need to remove the whole lot? It would take a long time to grow them back, and it seems to me they've completely ruined the area. I suppose it won't be long before they're building houses on it!

Offline Muggins

Re: Destruction of a Nature Reserve
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 09:23:57 AM »
I think this might be the site that was talked about a the last Locality meeting, as well as the 0ld Even Swindon School site.  If it is it's something to do with the expected new road layout and access for those already living there.  I'll look that up too - see the Bruce Street bridge posting.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 12:37:10 AM »

Current state of affairs on the Barnfield section of NCN Route 45.  Pretty sure there's another dressing of tarmac yet to be added.

I'm buggered if I can tell what's going on with the clearance work.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:24:37 AM »
What looks like repairs to the cycle route itself, I would say that because the sides have sunk since they were put in, usually causing blooming great ruts, if it's anything like the Northern Development routes.

They get patched up but no extra top layer of tarmac.

There were a couple of surveyors down on the Penhill Playing fields last week, I wondered what they were up to and as usual when I see them, I've sent an email requesting reasons.

Was there anyone there you could have asked, (apart from the surveyors of course) Geoff?

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 12:07:07 PM »
I didn't have the time to stop and chat but I think you're right - there are multiple works happening at the same time. 

Call me cynical, but with elections only 6 months away, and the Western Flyer being widely touted as a 'branded' cycle route, I'm sure pictures of a newly resurfaced path, complete with squatting and Hush Puppy shod councillors pointing at it, will be appearing in leaflets shortly....

...but ones of the paths around Bruce Street Bridges won't.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 03:39:31 PM »
I thought that the Councillors would be glad to hear of so much road repair going on and it will finish just about election time, so they could claim to have brought it about.

If so, it's bitten them in the bottom!

Shouldn't we be glad they are repairing sewers and electrifying the railways and re tarmacking cycle routes etc. etc.?  If this what we get for making a fuss about potholes - yikes, what about the new potholes we'll get over winter?

Good thing thoroughly spoiled.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 08:00:55 PM »
I'm buggered if I can tell what's going on with the clearance work.

I posted some information about this on the Bruce Street thread.

Thames Water are laying a sewer through this area to serve Wichelstowe. I understand that it will be approximately 1200mm diameter and about 5m deep, so they will need a wide trench. I don't know much more that that but was told that it will cross the River Ray and Mannington Rec. I assume it must also cross Great Western Way, so I wouldn't surprised if that is closed and dug up as well.

Thames Water are cutting down more trees (mostly leylandii) within their depot in order to create a temporary footpath diversion during the works.

I am not sure why they have cut down all the trees apart from the need for a wide trench, but ironically it could be due to wildlife concerns. The green fencing is to keep newts and reptiles out of the work area. It is my guess that they have cut down the trees and ground cover so that the reptiles aren't tempted to get back in. It might be a case that reptiles are considered more important than the trees.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 08:07:44 PM »
What looks like repairs to the cycle route itself, I would say that because the sides have sunk since they were put in, usually causing blooming great ruts, if it's anything like the Northern Development routes.

They get patched up but no extra top layer of tarmac.

That's not the case this time Muggins. There are signs up saying that the path will be closed for a few days for final surfacing.

The edges haven't sunk, they have been deliberately lowered. The whole path will be overlaid so they need to lower the edges so that the new surface ties into the existing edgings. Routine practice for an overlay.

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »
I don't know about improvements, the lighting along the Western Flyer around the bridge no longer works, it's now very dark along that path in the evening, and the brand new subway under Mead Way complete with the fancy lighting and signs has been flooded for the past couple of days, which is surprising when you consider there is a river running underneath it for the water to run into!

According to some signs down the track they are closing the section around the footbridge for two days for resurfacing, providing transport for those who normally use it, and yes it does look like they are putting a bypass route through Thames Water property. It's a shame they couldn't have organised a bypass route through B&Q's car park last year instead of making people use that battery powered crossing