Author Topic: A power project  (Read 2330 times)

Offline Theteach

• Hello !
A power project
« on: October 30, 2014, 12:29:17 AM »
I'm not really sure where this should sit in the list, so I thought the start might be best.

My son has a project looking at alternative energy sources, we have come up with an idea but aren't sure where to go next.
We need some kind of Dynamo or power converter to take rotary motion to being saved in batteries..
So I am asking for help or a little advice.
Thank you.

Offline jayjay

• Hello !
Re: A power project
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:53:29 AM »
Not sure this is what you are after, but Radio Spares (RS)

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/

do small components and there is always Maplins

http://www.maplin.co.uk/

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:42:29 AM »
I'm not really sure where this should sit in the list, so I thought the start might be best.

My son has a project looking at alternative energy sources, we have come up with an idea but aren't sure where to go next.
We need some kind of Dynamo or power converter to take rotary motion to being saved in batteries..
So I am asking for help or a little advice.
Thank you.

How much energy can you expect to extract from your power source?

If you're looking at charging a 12V car battery then nip down to the 'scrappy' and pick up an old car alternator. This will include a built in regulator that will make it produce the appropriate charge voltage.

If you're looking at charging a watch battery, try stripping down a wind-up torch and use the generator in that. Cheap, but you might have to add your own regulator depending on what charge voltage you want.

Tell us more.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 09:12:43 AM »
Nice bit of recycling - upcycling there too, Weebs.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:38:47 AM »
Nice bit of recycling - upcycling there too, Weebs.

Well done Muggins, that's another option! Bicycle hub dynamo (they do still make them don't they?)  ;D

I used to have one that pressed on the rear tyre and if you didn't tighten it up regularly it would find its way into the spokes and cause all sorts of damage.

Offline ddrooster

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »
Hi
dynamos  create electricity  by converting  rotary motion  into electricity   usualy at low ish voltages  6v is about the norm for bicycle  hubs etc   this is alaso at a fairly low wattage   I an currently  trying to make \ source \ bulid a set of  led  ultra bright bike lights that run  on a hub dynamo with a solar powered  charger as well  and refine the design    using the latest tech  the goals are
1 cheap
2 able to  run for several hrs after dark
3long life components  tipycal life length  5 years  without maintenance
4 unstealable from the bike with out major damage

happy to discuss  ddrooster@gail.com

oh and if you are buying bits for a project do shop around  rs and farnell are nto the best in the business
regards
dave