Author Topic: The rise of urban foxes and how to deter them from turning your property into their bog....  (Read 7991 times)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
My old house was near the railway line off of Ocotal Way. We had a family of foxes visit the garden most nights. They didn't make much mess but the crying noise they made was more of a problem. At one point they looked quite healthy, but later the adult had mange and one of her cubs was either born with only 3 legs or lost one soon after birth.

We have cats but they used to ignore the foxes and vice versa.

We also had a hedgehog visit regularly. We thought the foxes might get him but he seemed to time his visits to avoid them. Also had a brief rat problem. The most unwelcome and hardest to get rid of visitors were double glazing salesmen.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
My old house in Swindon had a great pond which was a wildlife magnet.
Unfortunately we also had an epidemic of cats.

The felines used to flock to my floral wildlife haven.

We even had a cranky neighbour who would shove her two cats out of the bedroom window (so that  we couldn't even feed birds from our flat roof.)

Needless to say, I became quite inventive in my anti-cat / pro birds campaign.

This PIR sprayer worked well

www.keengardener.co.uk/animal-control/1178-pest-stop-havahart-spray-away.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PROC-SPRAY&gclid=CIjysKrxjsECFSuWtAodGCQAWA

You can adjust the sensitivity so that birds can land, but bigger animals can't.
It's also the sprinkler rattle sound that frightens things away.

How do the foxes enter the property?
Is any fence climbing involved?

Cats tend to be quite smug. The neighbours moggies took great delight at strutting up and down the dividing fence.
A small amount of grease halfway along the top of the fence stopped that.

It was an amusing battle of smugness as one cat strutted along the fence, observing it's less agile neighbour  until the paws made contact with the grease.

As the moggy then stood perfectly still, it was my time to smugly observe as I became the agile one.

Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
No new shits since I installed the sonic deterent.  Not willing to claim success yet but am cautiously optimistic :)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
Perhaps the fox was just after Geoff's beer and crisp stash.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11532616.The_Beehive_pub_is_outfoxed/

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
:)  - On my way out today I did my daily check of the fox scarer.and found it inoperative.  No time to investigate, will see if dumping activitues resume tonight....

Offline Tobes

• Regents
http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2014-10-15/fox-trashes-pub-after-falling-down-chimney/
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Well.  After extensive use I decided that the [tiny] rechargeables inside the scarer weren't man enough, and neither is the pv panel really up to much, so I invalidated the warranty and stuffed a fistful of dynamite much larger 18650 sized ones in to replace them. And I added a charging point.  The unit now runs for at least 14 days between charges.

The shitting has continued but can be at least described as sporadic.  Not satisfied with sporadic I've jet washed, bleached, and bio'd the front stones to death before spraying quite heavily with Aluminium Ammonium Sulphate.  I think I've merely provided a spotlessly clean crapper though.

Never mind. I like a good project and I'm mindful that I have a compressor with a very large receiver lying idle for 99.9999990 % of its life so the bespoke design and construction of the Repello'vile :tm: has begun.

I confidently predict it will deter any animal smaller than a Rhino from crapping out front....  :santa_afro:

Offline Muggins

Sounds totally (and probably illegally) toxic to me, rather have the pooh thanks.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Sounds totally (and probably illegally) toxic to me.....

And you'd be wrong :)    Aluminium Ammonium Sulphate, a.k.a, 'Cat-a-pult' by Bayer.  Neither toxic or illegal.

......rather have the pooh thanks.

Happy to oblige, would you like the poo delivered in bulk or a succession of smaller deliveries  :santa_afro:

Just ordered most of the major components for the Repello'vile :tm: so I'm expecting to have that operational in early January, with Youtube footage of its efficacy appearing shortly afterwards.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
I look forward to the unveiling! Can we have have a hint of the the design basis? A joint effort should produce a more satisfactory outcome!
What's it all about?

Offline I Could Do That

Thanks to the stream at the bottom of our garden, and the adjacent farm, we get similar problems with rats.
I'm not concerned with them co-existing at the bottom of the garden (a factor of living in the countryside), but they hide in a particular shrub, close to the house, and run out to eat any bird food that is dropped from the feeders.

To prevent them "hanging around" in the shrub, I've taken to hosing it with a watering can filled with hot water and Olbas Oil.

It seems to work.

I do have visions of a future Doctor Doolittle experience.
Probably a young rat asking if I have any more of that potion that cured his dad's cold and eased his grandad's rheumatism
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Olbas Oil is actually number three on my list of non-toxic spayables, Aluminium Ammonium Sulphate was number 1 (not entirely successful as a #1 choice)

I look forward to the unveiling! Can we have have a hint of the the design basis? A joint effort should produce a more satisfactory outcome!

But of course :)

The MkI Repello'vile :tm: consists of the following:

1 x Sufficiently manly air compressor and receiver

Mixed lengths of air pipe

1 x 12v solenoid valve [1/4" NC] [NC = normally closed]

1 x 12v PIR with adjustable timer on switched output

Appropriate power supply.

Miscellaneous 1/4" fittings

I already have most of the components, the few remaining are on order.  The 'Enthusiasts' amongst you will be able to visualise the Repello'vile :tm: from the component list alone, others may need a bit of help to imagine it in its full magnificence.

Naturally, not one nut, bolt or 1/4" fitting has been jotted down on paper, and especially not for the venturi attachments [optional extra on the Repello'vile ;tm: 'Extreme Edition'] which will not only make an unexpectedly sudden and delightfully loud fox/cat/dog/human scaring "Pffffffsssssssssssstttt" noise whilst simultaneously squirting a discouraging, (but-non-lethal dose), of citronella/Olbas/Aluminium Ammonium Sulphate into the protected area.

Can anyone remember the WWII gas maks that had the rubber flap/valve thing which, under certain conditions, made a farting noise when operated? - I ask because I'd like to find out, in the interests of comedic irony, whether sudden and loud farting noises will seize-up animal bowels just long enough for them to not crap on my front garden... :)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
A "Whoopee Cushion" would do the job or even a length of deceased bike inner tube.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/whoopee-cushion

Perhaps an inflatable elephant, or similar, that grows just after the water jet is sent out, will help Renard, (let's call him that eh?)  remember that your garden is another animal's territory?

http://www.flamingogifts.co.uk/products/inflatable-elephant-2-ft-4-in-tall?gclid=CjwKEAiA_NmkBRCe3ubC1aWAtEcSJACxkkbqeBd5ohI2pIKX78TRT7LkVWg83JvmsXsfeKDzNyVNCBoC2Arw_wcB

:santa_evil:
What's it all about?

Offline I Could Do That

Inflatable elephant?

Surely an inflatable father christmas would be more appropriate  :santa_smiley:

You could get one that pops out of a chimney and shouts ho ho ho  :santa_cheesy:
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

Talking about Zoos', I have heard of people using Elephant pooh, Lion pooh and even Llama Pooh to stop anything using their garden, but it sort of defeats the point if you don't like the pong.

https://howtogetridoffoxes.wordpress.com/2013/10/08/does-the-foxwatch-ultrasonic-fox-repeller-work/

The only fox repellent guaranteed to work or your money back??  :banana:
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)