Author Topic: Pots on Parade  (Read 8574 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Pots on Parade
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 10:15:30 PM »

Hahaha :) 

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 08:30:15 AM »
Hoho! Hopefully this will appear in the adver later!

I have to say, the pots have weathered the winter and the more animalistic attentions of the denizens of our town better than I would have expected. They still (and always will ) look weird and out of place, but the basic concept seems proven. How long before some new wit plants actual pot plants in them, mind you? ;)

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 09:45:05 AM »
Very witty.  rs75, Shame you didn't think to wait until AFTER the Coop had shut for the night, chance are they wouldn't have noticed for a while the next day.

Felling extremely sensitive about art work today - done with no consultation of those that have to live with it and no doubt at great expense, more bloody money wasted on Penhill for things we don't ask for or need!! 

I will apologise if either of those statements are untrue!

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 10:04:07 PM »
Felling extremely sensitive about art work today - done with no consultation of those that have to live with it and no doubt at great expense, more bloody money wasted on Penhill for things we don't ask for or need!! 

I will apologise if either of those statements are untrue!

Wtachya talking about mugs?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 07:40:56 AM »
 I like that.

Makes me feel all......

Flobalobalob  :)
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 08:35:03 AM »
Oh Tobes, being a quiet lover of art, well, some of it, wishing I had the talent to match, I have no particular love of wall art - less for graffiti type art and of course none for tagging which is of course is no art at all.

The colours mismatched and contorted into weird shapes of Graffitti, I find to be rather self indulgent. 

My motto is, a thing of beauty is a joy forever!  And you can't gild the lily.

To be honest I would rather see a well built brick wall, which, if we have any respect for the artisans of this town,  has an art to it anyway, and can sometimes be invaded by arty plants.

However, I understand the need for some people to paint walls, maybe on their way to greater works of art.  So on Penhill, we have two or three places where such art work can carry on - a ball (brick) kick wall (both sides) on the Playing Fields is used for graffiti, for what it is, its usually very well done and at no cost to the rate payer.  We don't have a problem with tagging often.

Another is on the back of a block of about twenty garages facing out over Groundwell, that is a BIG length and should satisfy even the most ardent and well off graffiti artist, and there too, it's well done.  That is not paid for the Ratepayers either and kept up by the 'artists'.

Therefore it can hardly be said that as a community we are not tolerant of said art form. Neither really affect anyone living in the areas, I doubt anyone can see them out of their windows so they are ideally situated.

Now someone has decided to put an art wall - right in the middle of the estate, ok, I don't have to look at it, but others do.  It appears to have been well done - i.e. the art work is OK, but it is offensive in as much as it is driven by only one, permitted by one and I want to know where the money came from, because I don't think these artists are paying for it and because there are other things the community has said it wants/needs and that plan was not consulted at all. 

I'm now adding up the little pots (by SBC standards) of money that are being wasted on unsuccessful projects which we haven't asked for, and when it reaches the total of a new Splash Park for all North Swindon at Penhill Playing fields I will be going to the press.

I could be totally wrong about the cost, maybe the artists are doing it for nothing, but at some point that wall will need re-doing or painting over then no doubt it will look ragged for years until we the rate payers pay for it to be cleaned/painted over. 

As it happens I never did understand the logic that to stop graffiti, you provided a place for it to happen - giving kids mixed messages if you ask me, and to see five quite small children pictured with spray cans in hands and no masks anywhere to be seen quite offensive.

Photo below is recent to the play field.   
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 12:46:39 PM »
Aw. Bill & Ben have been evicted

www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/12887853.Artist_is_potty_over_removal/
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 12:56:50 PM »
Don't worry, they'll be back and stay for longer.    :banana: :hippy: