Author Topic: Green Energy - Fuel From Waste  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Green Energy - Fuel From Waste
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:59:56 PM »
It seems that, for once, SBC /SCS have achieved what they set out to do and demonstrated a new technology as working better than expected.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11299700.Fire_at_Swindon_Commercial_Services/?ref=var_0

Fire at Swindon Commercial Services

FIREFIGHTERS were called to Swindon Commercial Services in Cheney Manor this morning to attend a blaze in a solid reformed fuel machine.

Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service recieved a call to the site in Darby Close at 11.15am after a fire started in a machine thought to turn rubbish into useable fuel.

Three crews from Swindon, Westlea and from Stratton are attending the blaze along with an aerial appliance from Swindon.

A Wiltshire Fire and Rescue spokesman said: "Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus are using two hose reel jets to bring the fire to a safe conclusion.

"A thermal imaging camera is also being used to track exactly where the problem is in the machine.

"It is believed that the fire is contained to just the one machine."

Crews were later joined by two more firefighters wearing breathing apparatus to tackle the fire.

The site has been closed to the public for the time being.

What's it all about?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Green Energy - Fuel From Waste
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:23:01 PM »
Let's hope the fire doesn't spread to the growing mountain of processed-but-unsold fuel which is stored next to the machine which is on fire......

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 05:57:31 PM »
Let's hope the fire doesn't spread to the growing mountain of processed-but-unsold fuel which is stored next to the machine which is on fire......

As no one's life appears to be in danger, will you permit me a  ;D

... at least the fire is carbon neutral, eh? Another literally roaring SBC success...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 11:26:57 PM »
Ah the ever growing pile of 'Green Waste' - RDF the fuel product for which there is but a very small market.

Scuttle butt rumour is that the buyer of SBC's RDF waste has 'gone cold' and that SBC are looking for a home for tonnes of RDF product.

Questions have been asked - lets' see if answers are forthcoming.

I recall the Council's Client Team did not feel able to recommend the proposal due to the continuing uncertainty around the price for disposing of the RFD product. It could be they were right!

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 12:34:59 AM »
Ah the ever growing pile of 'Green Waste' - RDF the fuel product for which there is but a very small market.

As more local authorities see this as a good option for disposing of waste the greater the volume and the lower the price. Basic supply and demand.

Similar argument to the solar power thread. The key is reduced energy consumption rather that alternative environment fads.

The government want economical growth (more energy consumption) but less carbon emissions. The two goals are incompatible and the govt have a conflict of interest. 

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:38:51 AM »

SBC might as well let Averies recycling 'manage' their RDF mountain. I'm pretty sure it would be reduced to ash in short order.

Offline Phil Chitty

• The user formerly ph1lc
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:03:52 AM »

SBC might as well let Averies recycling 'manage' their RDF mountain. I'm pretty sure it would be reduced to ash in short order.

This commercial aspects of this technology are still in their infancy. It is however wort remembering the hidden subsidy, I.e for every ton of landfill that can be diverted the Council will save £80 in landfill tax. What is important however is that the Council don't as nearly happened get into bed with Chancers out to make a quick buck whilst polluting the environment.

This is the type of investment that cries out for a local subscription Co-op.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 10:04:51 AM »
Perhaps they should stick it in wheelie bins and infiltrate it into waste collections.

That way it will be permanently in transit and can be quietly forgotten about.

Or they could put it on eBay.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 10:07:12 AM »
As more local authorities see this as a good option for disposing of waste the greater the volume and the lower the price. Basic supply and demand.

Good thought SM but sadly SBC always knew there was no UK market and the Euro market is still in its infancy.  As for other LAs seeing this as a good option - I am not sure they actually do see RDF as a 'good option'

The Government published a consultation document in March 2014 and said "The export of treated waste from the UK to thermal treatment facilities in the EU has recently become a more favoured management route. There are concerns that this is resulting in the UK economy losing a valuable resource and that it provides an outlet for waste materials that would otherwise have been pushed up the waste hierarchy. Whilst there can be sound economic reasons to export RDF, the Government is concerned that minimally treated RDF being produced for export does not necessarily achieve the best environmental outcome in terms of the waste hierarchy or support wider aims around energy security and self-sufficiency".

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 10:18:05 AM »
for every ton of landfill that can be diverted the Council will save £80 in landfill tax

I agree Phil - but at what cost is the £80 saving being achieved. The cost of producing a bale of RDF can be calculated quite easily by those who know the details, as can the cost of storage (and yes Councillors even if its stored in the SCS compound there is a cost).

If SBC go down the route of warehousing the RDF product that will also be a costly exercise.

One of the reasons given for spending £8millions on the new RDF facility was to achieve the savings Phil identifies - and as the RDF product has been dried each bundle weighs less so it follows that there is a saving in terms of tonnage sent to landfill.

However, the big gain was in the sale of the RDF product and officers were not persuaded that the alleged gains matched the hyperbole. They were right, hence the RDF plant became a political decision as opposed to a corporate one.

What I do find fascinating is the amount of RDF waste produced. It would be a good lesson for residents to actually see a stack of the green bales which reflected a weeks re-cycling