Author Topic: Anyone know anyone who worked in the GWR works foundry?  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Anyone know anyone who worked in the GWR works foundry?
« on: June 17, 2014, 10:04:52 PM »
Hello all,

just a quick question. I've been involved in a project making some sculptures inspired by the GWR foundry. The group of guys I've been working with have even used some of the original patterns to cast up some pieces too.

We'll be exhibiting them up at STEAM from around the 14th of July - and would love it if anyone with a connection to the foundry (either directly, or maybe you had relatives working there) might like to come along for a chat with the artists on the opening day. It would be great to hears some stories from their time working there - and maybe an opportunity for us (relatively!) young whipper-snappers to pick up some tips from the experts too!

If you know of anyone who might be interested (or if you'd be interested in coming along anyway!) just add your name below or send me a PM.

All the best,

Tobes

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Anyone know anyone who worked in the GWR works foundry?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 12:20:45 AM »
Hi Tobes try Steve Wakefield or Bob Wright.

Steve is in contact with a lot of ex workers via STEAM and Bob was one.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline bobwright

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 01:22:53 AM »
Tobes try the retired BREL workers meeting. I believe the meet every Thursday at 10.30 at the Central Community Centre. 

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 07:34:47 AM »
Cheers chaps! - Much obliged. Where abouts is the central community centre? had a quick google, but no luck finding an address as yet.

There are some pictures of what we got up to here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Bullpen/272893799420099
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 08:51:29 AM »
Tobes, the Central Community Centre is the one in the Railway village - the old hospital, on Faringdon Road.

It would be better to contact the Secretary of the group though, they will read anything like that out at the start of their meetings.

I've tried to find that contact for you, and can't on line. The Central Library/Tourist information used to keep lists of all the societies, you might find it there.  Can't find it on the VAS directory either. 

I'll keep trying and ask my relations too.

Or they might have closed?
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10410962.Swindon_railway_stalwart_Ken_Tanner_dies_at_age_of_79/?ref=rl

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Whipling

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:12:49 AM »
Pictures look great Tobes.

Railway men are still going strong, and as Bob rightly says, around 70 or so are still meeting for a lecture each Thursday 1030am. I think this would be right up their alley.

I don't have the details of the man who runs the sessions to hand. If you like, I could PM you them later? Or you could email on what you would like handed over? ( sean@mechanics-trust.org.uk ) Or just pop by a Thursday - he tends to be in setting up from 930am onwards.

Interesting you couldn't find the Central Community Centre. It's only just been put on to Google about a month ago, (another thing which had slipped passed the Council) so the site should hopefully currently bumping its way up the page rankings for the future.

https://plus.google.com/114992434920965465699/about?gl=uk&hl=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Central+Community+Centre/@51.561345,-1.790678,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xb47796e2b3e97821

http://mechanics-trust.org.uk/centralcommunitycentre

www.facebook.com/swindonccc

Offline Muggins

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 12:09:59 PM »
Brother has just visited. He doesn't know anyone from the Foundry/still alive.

He says the old foundry closed down in the 1960's and a brass foundry was opened. He remembers that a Jack Fleetwood was made foreman at that time.

Sean is the new community worker for the Central Community Centre, he should at least know a contact for the Railwaymen's group. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 07:40:33 PM »
This is an RSVP event only - but if any TS readers want to come along, please drop me a PM, and as long as numbers aren't too big, you'll be more than welcome. The pieces aren't legion in number (or big, as they have to fit in the STEAM 'standard display case') - but if you'd like to come along and have a chat with some very unpretentious artist/sculptors who've been inspired by GWR and the foundry, you'd be more than welcome.

Whipling - do you have that contact number for the BREL guy? If ANYONE knows anyone with a connection to the foundry, we'd love to meet them!

:)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 10:27:15 PM »
Shameless bump!  :wink:

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 07:30:59 PM »
During my apprenticeship, in the 50's I worked in the foundry for 3 months and also played football for them. They had a team called J2 Sports and we were in the Swindon and District league.
Bobby

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 11:00:26 PM »
Bobby, would love you to come along to the opening if you'd like to have a chat with us! (and love you too come along, even if you don't! ;) )

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 08:16:15 AM »
I have it pencilled in my diary.
Bobby

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 09:04:26 AM »
Fantastic. We'd love to see you - alas the memories fo what was done in the foundry are fast fading, so anyone with any memories will be highly popular with the artists/craftspeople. Nowt like gleaning a little first hand knowledge from someone who was there!

And if you're in touch with anyone else with any memories, please please extend an invite to them too.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 09:03:24 PM »
Tobes - There are still Foundry staff around however I have not stayed in contact. I will try to track some down. I worked with Mick Lovesey who I bump into occasionally who worked in the BREL Foundry. Using the old 6 degrees of separation we should be able to catch up with him. He worked as a planner for Book Club.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »
Fantastic Bob - many thanks!

Its next monday - if anyone else wants/can come along, please drop me a pm as an RSVP and I'll make sure you're expected.

:)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »
A timely "Bump" for this event.

Sorry that I can't make it Tobes. I have a prior engagement with a glass in a shady spot in Mallorca later today.
What's it all about?

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »
I would have liked to attend, but am still convalescing post-op. Hope it went well.