Author Topic: Road Speed versus The Safety Of Off Road Cycle Routes  (Read 8749 times)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
Re: Road Speed versus The Safety Of Off Road Cycle Routes
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 08:13:23 PM »
Another example of how we're paying in different ways for the council tax not going up? Finding alternative routes to my bus stop because the subways were flooded has probably cost me more in lost earnings than a sensible increase in council tax would have cost me.

Absolutely. The council describe these changes as efficiency savings but in reality they are just cuts to service.

I received my council tax bill this week and notice that approx. 40% of the council's expenditure is on care for the elderly. As the population ages that figure is going to increase, so council tax rises will be inevitable. There is nothing left to cut.

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
Re: Road Speed versus The Safety Of Off Road Cycle Routes
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
Totally agree that the council's response to flooded subways (put up a "road closed" sign, which is still kicking around nearby) was completely inadequate.

To be fair, I am not sure what they can do in the short term apart from close the subway.

The subways are usually deeper than the sewer system, so the gullies drain to a wet well which pumps the water back up to the sewer. If the pumps have failed, you can't really expect SCS to replace them until the water subsides.

In the longer term, lack of drainage/pump maintenance is an issue. The council used have a couple of people who did this full time. I doubt if those jobs still exist.

I can tell you exactly what they can do - don't put temporary fences up! The fences are only going to be blown into the water by the strong winds, or some idiot is going to throw them into the water for fun. Why do you need them? Everyone can see that the subway is flooded, and if someone has a good pair of wellies, there's no reason why people couldn't just wade through them. However fallen fences submerged in cloudy water are a trip hazard, and as for cyclists, well I've ridden through the subway near Withymead whilst that's been flooded with no problems, but I wouldn't chance the Link Centre one with the fences in there.