Author Topic: Warning for dog walkers around the river Ray  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Weebleman

Warning for dog walkers around the river Ray
« on: March 08, 2014, 12:25:12 PM »
I was earlier warned by our local veterinary nurse not to walk our dog alongside the river Ray behind Hreod School as dogs have been admitted to at least 2 surgeries overnight with bad neurological symptoms thought to have been brought on by something picked up in that area. Blood tests have been unable to identify the cause/effects but it is thought that some substance has been picked up on the paws which have then entered the system. It has not been confirmed whether or not the dogs actually went into the water.

There's quite often evidence of "stuff" being dumped in the water from Cheney Manor estate area, (discoloured water and strong smell) but nothing obvious at the moment. So if you know any dog walkers that use that area please pass on this message. I would personally keep my dog out of the Ray altogether for the time being.

Weebs....

Offline Muggins

Re: Warning for dog walkers around the river Ray
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »
That was shared last evening on Facebook, Weebs. I wonder if anyone went over and put up notices?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline bobwright

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 09:46:33 PM »
Muggins - Passed on the salient details to councils Customer Services for the dog warden, I will ring the emergency number tomorrow.

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »
I was wondering about whether the 'Dog Warden' is at all concerned about the dog deposits all over town, on walkways, which could end up making people, especially children sick also????????????????   No! ... I didn't think so! :clap:

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 10:01:08 PM »
That was shared last evening on Facebook, Weebs. I wonder if anyone went over and put up notices?
I don't do Facebook Mugs (I've got no friends  :'( ) but it's good to know that word is getting around. Don't know about any signs being posted as I've given the area a broad miss today.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 11:16:52 PM »
Morsey - There is one dog warden, I have never had the opportunity to register his concern over dog poo however under the particular legislation the council has adopted he has to physically witness the deposit to take action. If action is needed shouldn't it start with the dog owners rather expecting the warden to be present at every deposit?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
I don't do Facebook Mugs (I've got no friends  :'( ) but it's good to know that word is getting around. Don't know about any signs being posted as I've given the area a broad miss today.

This is one good thing about facebook, getting the news spread quickly and although this appeared to be genuine it's good to know that you vet had told you, so confirmed I was right to do a bit of sharing myself.  PS, It's amazing how quickly you acquire friends there.  Some of mine I've yet to meet but find their post interesting and usually amusing too. Brightens up a wet afternoon no end.

As to the dog warden and pooh - I agree with Bob, it's the owners responsibility not the councils.  Even with the dog bins, it's all of us who are paying for that to be disposed of, and it's clinical waste too, so it's dearer that other waste. 

I was a dog owner and I've had to clear up after others - especially those delightful people person who did pick it up and then slings the bag into the hedgerow (I take it, in the hope that someone would provide them with a bin - no chance!).  At 7F's, other dog walkers reprimanded anyone they saw leaving a mess. We put up notices reminding people that volunteers cleaned it up.  Generally with the unbagged stuff, we also found that mostly it was the same two/three people and this was usually down alleyways leading into the fields.

Having said that, I did a bit of online research once, because there were scaremongering posts etc. about the dangers of it. Someone else (scientific) was researching it in one of the London parks, they wrote about how difficult it is to find a bit when you need to and that it breaks down and goes after about a fortnight, which is why we are not ankle deep in it.

About the same time I also did a bit of online research into the effect of Magpies on smaller birds. I believe it was in the scientific wing of the RSPB, that found that Magpies sometimes peck at dog dirt, and later witnessed this myself - maybe it's all according what the dog is fed on? 

If anyone is interested in finding out more, I'm sure I can find the documents.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 09:54:26 AM »
Could also say that walking a dog on contaminated, possible private land is NOT the the responsibilty of the 'Dog Warden' either, but the onus is on the dog owner. There are 100s of acres of dog exercising land, it would appear, around the Borough of Swindon, but so many owners choose to let their 'status symbol' animal cr@p on tarmac, paving slabs and verges without a care for the consequences.

I, personally, would like to see some value return for anyone in charge of the 'dog facility' on the Council Tax bill, and to actually be given 'hidden cameras' to catch lazy owners who allow the degradation of public (for the combined usage of human beings, that is) footpaths ... please ... if that helps?

Sick dogs ... sick people ... no competition is there? Suggest a £100 per year licence for each dog, a portion of each could be used to employ 'proper' dog wardens with some muscle and equipment to deter ... it ain't difficult ... we don't NEED dogs as an accessory!

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 11:39:21 AM »
As to the dog warden and pooh - I agree with Bob, it's the owners responsibility not the councils.  Even with the dog bins, it's all of us who are paying for that to be disposed of, and it's clinical waste too, so it's dearer that other waste. 

Presumably, responsible dog owners pick up the mess, take it home and put it in their wheelie bins.

In which case the mess ends up in landfill. Perhaps treating mess from dog bins as clinical waste is overkill.

I have cats and put the contents of the litter tray in my wheelie bin as there is no clinical waste collection. It is part of my data protection system. Shred confidential paperwork and tip it in the bin bag with cat litter. Anyone stealing my personal data is welcome to it.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 11:05:57 PM »
The Administration decided dog poo could go in any bin as long as it was wrapped. Don't think this is clinical but does limit contact.

The lack of waste bins on dog walking routes is a regular complaint. It looks like the bins are placed for emptying ease rather than practical use by dog walkers.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 08:39:08 AM »
It's obvious why the person who bags it and throws it, is doing it (if indeed it is DOG-do they are throwing).

However, where THEY want to put their pooh is not near a road and we don't want vans trundling over fields to get to it, neither do we want urban park furniture in the Nature Reserve. All adds to cost. The rest of the dog walkers manage perfectly well with the half a dozen bins placed strategically on the outskirts of Seven Fields, even if they moan they want more.   Apart from the one in the car park - nearly everyone else is local and could take it home with them.

As to the clinical waste issue.  This was muted when the new waste law's came in.  If dog dirt is placed in a usual bin, no one is going to go through it to find out what is in the mix.  But if it's a dog bin there should be only one thing in it and so that is clinical waste when it comes to disposing of it.

It's like the skips we used to have - that all has to go in landfill because they don't know what's in it.  They are required to reduce landfill so they have no alternative but to do that, because it can't be sorted beforehand.

I'm afraid that in these days of cutbacks and lack of staff, Dog poo should be very bottom of the list of Borough services. There is no excuse for not picking it up and making provision to take it home and dispose of it.
Even if there was a contribution via a licence, the best practice is to encourage people to pick it up and take it home.

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:10:06 AM »
Clearly, a deterrent via licencing dogs at a sensible rate would cut down on the massive 'black market' trade in dubious origins and mixed breeds, which has come to blight our country. Society, and politicians, have allowed a situation, totally uncontrolled, and actually encouraged and funded from taxation of everything else to escalate beyond reason now. Owners pay a fortune for the animal, extortionate vet costs, grooming etc., yet non-owners are required to pay towards the dog owners' creatures dirt clean ups.

There is NO NEED for the public to see owners with multitudes of animals on leads ... for goodness sake, it's almost like 'hoarding' to have so many dogs out being walked, and depositing their by-products all over the place ... what the heck ... there is very little else, which people would class as a 'hobby' that is not taxed, this is not right ... and everyone is having to put in clean-up funds ... without a main contribution from those who are, supposedly, having the benefit of the said animals ... is that reasonable?

I like dogs ... but there are limits, and to expect a Council Tax funded 'dog warden', whatever that is, to sort out a sick animal or two is beyond me ... priorities, please! :WTF:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 03:05:30 PM »
I suspect that a Dog Warden would be needed, not least to deal with dogs whose owners are unknown.  Strays, knocked over, left by the elderly on death etc.

I don't know that licence would stop the breeding and ownership of those that mistreat the word 'owner'. If there is money to be paid, they would pay up and charge more for their end product.  There was one a dog licence and that didn't stop any of the stuff that you describe and cost more to administer than it was useful.

As it happens I've ben looking at dog prices lately, and they are not cheap, (in fact more than doubled since we lost ours a few years back)  nor is the treatment/jabs/neutering so cost obviously does not stop ownership for some. 

The don't seem to roam the streets these days though.

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 04:17:17 PM »

As it happens I've ben looking at dog prices lately, and they are not cheap, (in fact more than doubled since we lost ours a few years back)  nor is the treatment/jabs/neutering so cost obviously does not stop ownership for some. 

Then, they can also afford the licence AND for the cleaning up after their animals ... exactly my point? A licence fee should be put at a figure which can cover administration costs ... it was scrapped all those years ago because that was not the case, but even then, it was NO reason at all, the place is overrun with dogs ... and what do they do best ... ?  :bash:

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »
Dog poo is going to be a problem whether bins are provided or not.

Several years ago, I was inspecting a footbridge at Bowleymead (between Dorcan and Walcot) when two school girls approached me and asked if I worked for the council. They wanted the dog poo bin removed because they claimed that the boys used to fish out the bags of poo and throw them at the girls on their way home from school.

I have also inspected bridges where the lack of bins is a problem. Irresponsible dog owners throw their poo off of the footbridge on to the railway at Ermin Street. Most of it gets caught in the trees and just hangs there. When I used to carry out inspections, there would be hundreds of bags of poo under the bridge making it a particularly unpleasant job.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 08:12:32 AM »
You're right there, Spunky, your bridge story is very like our Seven Fields Playing field gap, I mentioned earlier.  No bridge, just a stile and it was the only place it was happening.  Walkers were greeted by bags festooned on the bushes by the stile and the odd one along the path in the trees, hedges on the, meadow and in the nettles.  I swear it could have been no more than one dog walker, you could tell by the bags. 

I often thought I would take the deckchair and book down and sit in the thicket until I caught them, however as people are out walking their dogs from first light until after moon -up I wasn't sure I could sit still that long.

I know that someone was caught, by another dog walker who read them the riot act.  I and yet another dog walker used to clear it up (litter picker and larger black bag) if we could reach the place it was thrown.

Like I said before, for all the number of dog walkers it was hard to find some on the ground if you looked for it. 

They also became our best friends at 7F's, (our eyes and ears) we soon got to know enough of them that if anything happened around the clock, if it had not been reported to us already,  we contacted the person that was most likely to be out at that time. Most dog walkers are creatures of habit - pushed on by Rover giving them a nudging reminder it was time for walkies.  This network was invaluable when they started and throughout the Northern Development.  Again when the travellers dropped in for ten appalling days (and when they went left 4 live chickens and a puppy), and when a German Shepherd took up residence in the Cemetery field, when the bridge was burned down (twice) etc. etc. In the main then brilliant people! I could go on and on.

Must write me 7F's memoirs.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 08:55:03 AM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11079360.Dog_owner_fears_pet_may_have_caught_killer_disease_Alabama_Rot/?ref=ms

The original post was about what dogs were picking up on their walks, not what they were depositing.
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 09:15:21 AM »
Yep, we know that Outer, and there was no more to be said on that until we hear from anyone who knows what exactly was dropped there and by whom.

I think they are over-doing it with the Alabama Rot. It's not the first time someone has cruelly dumped something nasty in dog walking areas, probably thoughtlessly without thinking about the damage it might do to pets and wildlife. 

Digression often keeps threads alive until the real answer turns up - I wonder how the affected dogs are doing?
No up dates on facebook either.