Author Topic: Bruce Street Bridges Roadworks Could Take Another Year  (Read 22007 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Bruce Street Bridges Roadworks Could Take Another Year
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
Already is.

Got the Greenbridge bridge closure to come yet.

Yes. There's misery for all in the coming months.  I've whacked SBC's interactive online roadwork map here:

Ongoing Road Disruption In Swindon - Online Map Of Works across the Borough

Offline Muggins

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2014, 01:35:44 PM »
Midlander, I went to the last (North central) Locality meeting because this and the Even Swindon site was on the agenda.  There were plans for both on display and to take away.  I went because I have a relation living in the area, who can't hear so well at public meetings.  I gave him all the doc's I had to give to his neighbours.

So can't help now!  But they must still be available somewhere.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2014, 05:30:49 PM »
I noticed this morning they've coned off parts of the Bruce Street Bridges junction, and turned it into one big roundabout. I guess this means they are finally starting to work on it.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2014, 07:30:59 PM »
I have a new SatNav.

Lost the old one, yes, really.

New one has a voice that says 'Weeeee!' when it goes, and me, round a roundabout. Can't wait.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »
Ooh!
I want one that goes wheeee.
What make is it?
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 10:34:15 PM »
Ooh!
I want one that goes wheeee.
What make is it?

Fisher Price :)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2014, 09:10:02 AM »
 :2funny:
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2014, 10:04:39 AM »
October update:

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/ts/Transport%20Document%20Library/Information%20-%20GWW%20-%20%20Programme%20Update%20October%202014.pdf
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2014, 10:51:23 AM »
Looks like they are already one month behind schedule then

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2014, 12:17:16 PM »
I think you'll find the road works in the Bruce Street bridges re not yet about the roads themselves but about new sewage drains. pipes.  Will find out the Docs that I acquired a the Locality meeting there last month.

That's also my understanding. Sewers etc first then another long-lived round of disruption as a singular roundabout is constructed to replace the 4 smaller ones.

That is my understanding too.

The disruption in the Cheney Manor area has been going on for ages. There were sewer works there earlier in the year followed by works on Akers Way that actually caused more traffic delays through Cheney Manor Industrial Estate than the actual works within the estate did.

The contractor screwed up the phasing of the temporary traffic signals on Akers Way so that no one could get out of Cheney Manor industrial estate. Each time the lights changed to green allowing vehicles out of Cheney Manor there was a queue of westbound traffic on Akers Way that had priority at the roundabout and wouldn't let anyone out. It took me 30 minutes to drive a few hundred yards through the estate one evening.

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11594708.Anger_at_roadworks_disruption_to_traffic/

It's been mentioned in today's Adver. Now they are telling drivers to avoid Bruce Street Bridges. It would appear local businesses and bus services are also being affected

Offline Des Moffatt

• Hello !
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2014, 10:53:51 AM »
There are good people working in Street Works and other parts of Highways of Swindon Council who are completely innocent of the roadwork’s chaos that is happening.
A host of impediments are placed in their way to achieving the improvement objective the Council needs. They cannot be as prescriptive on how the contractor manages the traffic flow as they would like to be. To do so would be “anti-competitive” and contracts of this size must be let by competitive tender. Utilities, Water, Sewage, Gas, Electricity, Rail, Telecoms have the legal right to stop traffic and do what they want and need only consult the Council.
This is the consequence of a political system that bows the knee to the profit motive above all else yet what annoys me more than everything else, the contractors and utilities all employ PR people who when being questioned by the public pass the blame to the Council.
Cllr Bob Wright on another thread hints as to how we got the Whale Bridge debacle over the heads of professional traffic managers.
A man with world wide experience in this field tells me that in Germany the local authority has the power to direct the contractor on when and how. Lets hope the national politicians find the bottle to take on the vested interests that visit this chaos on the travelling public.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »
I said to Mr Muggins yesterday, that it is my believe that roadworks come priced a bit like holidays - the more convenient it is for you to go on them, the more expensive they become.

My logic is that road works become cheaper the more inclement the weather is likely to be and the more inconvenience they can cause -i.e short daylight time.

I think metaphorically that our council is shopping for roadworks at Aldi - or a £1 shop.

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2014, 12:06:32 PM »
If this is true that once the facilities firms are given a signature from the council they are free to do whatever they want, this would explain why Thames Water are destroying the nature reserve between Barnfield and Westmead. Rather than try to cause as little disruption as possible, it's simpler to chop down every single tree, then make a little extra profit by selling the wood from them!
The problems start when there are injuries, even deaths as a result of these road/footpath closures. I still remember a time when they closed Kingshill Road, cutting everyone in the western side of the town off from Princess Margaret Hospital. The extra time it took an ambulance to get to the hospital could have made the difference between life and death for some.

Offline Phil Chitty

• The user formerly ph1lc
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2014, 12:57:56 PM »
They cannot be as prescriptive on how the contractor manages the traffic flow as they would like to be. To do so would be “anti-competitive” and contracts of this size must be let by competitive tender.

That Des is simply not true.
Tender documents are these days vastly detailed. There is absolutely no reason that temporary traffic flow requirements cannot be included in the tender / contract along the lines the are required to minimise disruption.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »
Midlander, where exactly is this 'Nature Reserve'?  As far as I know there is only one designated and that at the end of Barnfield Road and is particularly well looked after and protected by the guardians of it.

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2014, 04:38:33 PM »
Muggins, it's the one between the end of Barnfield Road and Westmead Industrial Estate.

Since they finished renovating the footbridge that crosses it a couple of weeks ago, all of the trees on the eastern side of the River Ray have been cut down. I posted a photo of it on another thread.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2014, 06:46:20 PM »
Midlander, if it's the piece of land sandwiches between Barnfield CLOSE and the Great Western Way and backs on to the houses in Mannington Park  then there are plans to put something on it, not sure what that is, and to allow an exit onto the Great Western way when the road system is changed. 

If it is that land, that was discussed a the last Locality Meeting.

As far as I know it was never designated, or purposely left for Nature, especially as there are two large areas for wildlife in the area - Shaw Country Park and the Thames Water Reserve. And a large Playing Fields area and the River Ray Parkway. The English Nature (or whatever it's called these days), idea of a  Nature Reserve every 100 metres/every street corner was never taken up in Swindon.  NOT being sarcastic here!!

Des will know better than I - it was all fields when I was growing up!

However, I sympathise if you have grown fond of the spot. 

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2014, 07:29:38 PM »
If this is true that once the facilities firms are given a signature from the council they are free to do whatever they want, this would explain why Thames Water are destroying the nature reserve between Barnfield and Westmead. Rather than try to cause as little disruption as possible, it's simpler to chop down every single tree, then make a little extra profit by selling the wood from them!
The problems start when there are injuries, even deaths as a result of these road/footpath closures. I still remember a time when they closed Kingshill Road, cutting everyone in the western side of the town off from Princess Margaret Hospital. The extra time it took an ambulance to get to the hospital could have made the difference between life and death for some.

I can shed some light on this.

The area to the west of the River Ray is managed by Wiltshire Wildlife Trust and is well maintained and protected. The area that you refer to is to the east of the River Ray and is less protected.

It is my understanding that Thames Water has chopped down all of the trees in order to construct a large sewer (1200mm diameter) which is to serve Wichelstowe. The sewer will be quite deep (about 5m I think) so they need to clear a wide area of approx. 10m.

Whilst I agree it is shame that the trees have been cut down, you have to be practical about it. The trees are right next to the sewage works. Perhaps the fault lies in the person who decided to plant trees there in the first place rather than the ones cutting them down to get pipes into the treatment works. If it is any consolation, I understand that they will have to carry out replanting in the area once the works are complete.

Not ideal, but the alternative would be to dump the sewage in Wichelstowe. It is easy to criticise Thames Water, but the public are creating the sewage. Thames Water are merely taking it away. As a former colleague of mine used to say "you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs".

Offline Muggins

« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »
Ah, maybe the work is to install one of those 'attenuation tanks'. Maybe if you are quick Midlander you could apply for a 'commemoration pack' from the Woodland trust, who are giving away small packs of trees ref the War commemoration Centenary. 

By the time they have finished the work and you've got permission, it would be just the right time to plant trees.  And planted with one of those packs, you could be half sure they won't be uprooted again.   

I think Spunky that many sewers put in, even in Northern development were nowhere near large enough - bad planning or being cheap.