Linked Events

• Gasland - free film show: February 18, 2014

Author Topic: Gasland - free film show  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Gasland - free film show
« on: February 05, 2014, 05:59:12 PM »
18th Feb, 7:15 for 7:30pm at the Vic at the top of Victoria Road in Old Town. Admission free. Organised by Keep Wiltshire Frack Free.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/dZe1AeH0Qz8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/dZe1AeH0Qz8</a>

When director Josh Fox is approached by a company that wants to drill for shale gas in the rock under his house using the process known as hydraulic fracturing, or fracking, he sets off on a journey to visit other communities in the US where this has already been done. You can read more about the film on its web site and its IMDB entry.

I haven't seen this film yet although I did do a bit of research about it when I found out it was coming to Swindon. It seems to be quite controversial, and in particular it has drawn criticism for overplaying some of the reasons to oppose fracking, such as earthquakes and methane getting into the water supply. There'll be some time for discussion after the film, and I expect I'll be saying something about that, and what I think are the real reasons to oppose fracking, then.

In the mean time I plan to watch it with an open mind.  :)

We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: Gasland - free film show
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:43:06 PM »
... for those interested in the other side of the coin, you can refer to: http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/article/ten_big_fat_lies_about_fracking/13944#.UvKTXaFzyk0

'FrackNation' would be the film which gives the other side of the picture... though I somehow guess 'Keep Wiltshire Frack Free' won't be screening that any time soon  :wink:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »
See http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php/topic,9171.20.html where Tobes and I have already been arguing about about fracking (and yes, Tobes, I've taken your arguments onboard and will try to articulate some of them at this event).

I ought to point out that Keep Wlitshire Frack Free is nothing to do with me, I'm just promoting this film because it could be of interest. To paraphrase what I've said on the other thread, let's not just keep Wiltshire frack free, let's keep the whole planet frack free  :)
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 10:08:51 PM »
 ;D

:thumb:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
FrackNation Movie Clips - The Truth About Fracking Small | Large