Author Topic: BNI business networking in swindon  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Clare1

• Hello !
BNI business networking in swindon
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:06:03 PM »
Hi everyone,

Please see attached an invite for the next BNI meeting in Swindon Friday 7 February. There are seats still available.

Clare

Offline Provocateur

• Atchya like a ninja cat!
Re: BNI business networking in swindon
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:04:19 PM »
Je suis confuse

You could gain new business...come along as a visitor to one of our meetings. See for yourself the business opportunities being passed between members, business that you could be getting a share of... Interested? For more details contact one of our leadership team members within the 'Leadership Team' section.

Duly hitting the links...

The Leadership Team of Excel BNI (Old Town/Swindon)

There is currently no information on the leadership team for Excel BNI (Old Town/Swindon).

... and ...

The Leadership Team of Excel BNI (Old Town/Swindon)

There is currently no information on the leadership team for Excel BNI (Old Town/Swindon).

... and ...

News from Excel BNI (Old Town/Swindon)

There are no news items for the Excel BNI (Old Town/Swindon) chapter.

... and ...

Members of Excel BNI (Old Town/Swindon)

No members were found for the Excel BNI (Old Town/Swindon) chapter.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what this is all about? Does it cost to join? How do I find out?

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 08:15:25 AM »
Wikipedia says the following:

Financial structure

Members pay a one-off joining fee, an annual membership fee, and a weekly meeting fee to cover room hire and refreshments.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »
This has a resonance of "Trickyness" about it, n'est pas?
What's it all about?

Offline Provocateur

• Atchya like a ninja cat!
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »
Pertetre...

So, it's a bit like the Freemasons, but without the quasi religious initiation or the charitable good deeds?

Odd. I thought there were several business forums in town to allow people to network for free? Why would anyone pay a joining fee, a membership fee and then a meeting fee on top when you could also achieve much the same by becoming a Rotarian or a Lion? So far I'm not really much the wiser.

Reading the site and wikiwossit, it also seems like existing members can blackball new recruits if they don't approve.

I think i'd like to know what happens to my joining fee and annual membership fee if the venue hire is paid for by me too. A bunch of people 'networking' for mutual benefit makes a lot of sense but I think I'd like to know more about the third party profiting from my money before I committed.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 05:54:43 PM »
I'd like to disinter this old thread as I've recently had some accidental experience of one of these groups. I went along to what is been told was a 'networking' group for businesses. All well and good I thought. I duly attended and had a pleasant enough time, despite having to be there at silly-o'clock in the morning.

However, I noted a series of peculiarities about the whole set up which I think makes the concept of questionable value - commercially, as well as morally.

I should like to return to this thread when I have some more time to go through my experience and research into the background of BNI - but in the meantime, I wondered if any TS members have been approached and would like to share their experiences?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 08:57:55 AM »
Was one of the peculiarities that it was only women there?

Although I've never been invited, for obvious reasons, I do know about a 'Women in business' breakfast networking meeting?

Tis the season to be jolly,  :santa_cheesy:

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 09:32:14 AM »
I looked at this last time as well. I cannot remember all the details now but looking up the names of those involved, leads to a kind of franchise of unsuccessful people, who want you to pay to be either a "Member" or "leader" in their group.

My original statement that they have an element of "Trickiness" about them still stands. TS members may well remember Ricki's involvement with "business clubs" and the like.

Some of the other people who I have an interest in are also promoters of such things. Stay clear is my advice! :coffee:
What's it all about?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 11:38:37 AM »
Although I've never been invited, for obvious reasons, I do know about a 'Women in business' breakfast networking meeting?

Women in Business M, I believe that back in the 90's that Councillor Doreen Dart was involved? 

Does the name Lin Evens mean anything to you?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 02:17:04 PM »
It's still about Richard - next event: 

Wed, 14 January, 12:00 – 14:00

Where

The Pig on the Hill, 8 Devizes Rd, Swindon, Wiltshire, SN1 4BH (map)

I think you are right about Doreen being involved though back then it might have been something more local.

Lin Evens?  No, but I knew a Liz Evans. Manager of our Surestart when it first opened, very nice lady she was too.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 12:40:34 AM »
M, Women in business was connected with the economic development Department of Wilts County based at Trowbridge

Doreen Dart was the Political Person and Lin Evens was the officer, both on different sides of the political spectrum but got on remarkably well together.

Sadly both are now holding their meetings upstairs.

This was at a time when Economic Development gave Swindon a vibrant and full economy, something we could sorely enjoy today.  Rents were so expensive here that I could not afford to move my business from Andover and save the commute.  I believe they are much cheaper now and despite that we still have lots of empty units all over West Swindon and too many empty shops.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Muggins

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 05:26:45 PM »
Ah, I see Richard, not before my time, but a little after it.  I got on famously with Doreen in her other Women's issues days, she never failed to speak to me and ask about things she knew we were interested in and, on many occasions, supported them too.

I didn't know Lin Evens, but then I had little to do with the business side of things - except those I came across at the conferences - that is the conferences we don't have now.  No chance now for cross sector co-operation.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 05:54:17 PM »
I got on famously with Doreen in her other Women's issues days ............

:WTF:

I had the misfortune of meeting Doreen Dart once in a professional capacity.

I found her to be rude, unprofessional and generally obnoxious. An extremely unpleasant person in my experience.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 06:14:57 PM »
There you go - two sides of the same person.   I spoke as I found Spunky, she was never rude to me or in front of me.  Which cannot be said for some of them!!! 

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 07:33:12 PM »
There you go - two sides of the same person.   I spoke as I found Spunky, she was never rude to me or in front of me.

I was a council officer at the time and she thought she could treat us like  :censored:

It is strange how some councillors like to think that officers work directly for them, but if the real managers bullied staff in the way some councillors did, the manager would be in an industrial tribunal quicker than you could say 'everybody out'.

Typical councillor wanting all of the power and none of the responsibility.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »
Ah Ah!  I get that Spunky, and I understand what you mean.  I do know that when Labour were in the majority in Swindon the conservative thought the officers were running the council and not them. 

It was a question we asked ourselves many times - Officers or councillors?   Councillors or officers??   We had a different answer to that every week.  I sometimes thought that the Councillors were more in control than they let on - i.e. when they wanted to duck a question they blamed officers.

Either way it worse, not better than it was.  And what happened to good old fashioned 'Managing staff ' training?

By the by - one councillor who was consistently extremely rude to me was Sue Bates, and it wasn't a relationship with any humour attached, it was done to undermine my confidence and it didn't work. She once called me Madam!!

She didn't last long after that.  :santa_rolleyes:

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 09:53:11 AM »
There you go - two sides of the same person.   I spoke as I found Spunky, she was never rude to me or in front of me.  Which cannot be said for some of them!!!

I think 'Do' as Lin Evens used to call her related better to her own gender than to one of a male disposition and was possibly the reason why she was so passionate about women's issues and managed to put her Tory hat away to pursue them!!

Offline Muggins

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 04:25:00 PM »
I think you are probably right there Richard.  She certainly never let politics get in the way of a Women's Agenda and good for her, there were few enough fighting that a corner back in the day.