Author Topic: Better Swindon  (Read 7526 times)

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
Re: Better Swindon
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 08:43:40 PM »
...  Developers do it a lot, give themselves awards I mean.

Not to mention the 'Gifts', like a million pounds to councils just prior to hearings about handing over public land for development.

Developers certainly are 'charitable' people.

What happened to Forward Swindon?  Have we stopped to get Better or pick up some more 'charitable' consultants?
 :weed:

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 09:30:56 PM »
Developers do it a lot, give themselves awards I mean.

I take industry awards with a pinch of salt. In the construction industry, companies nominate their own projects and then members of the professional body get to vote. Typically around 4 companies will nominate a project and then management will email their own staff urging them to vote. Pointless really.

I can remember SBC nominating Brunel North Car Park for an award. It never stood a chance and was beaten by the EMI building (now Car Shop).

Swindon Library also won an award. It is a reasonable building but isn't ground breaking in any sense.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »
I discovered this when a plot was going to be built on locally, the blurb said the developers had won such and such an award, so I Goggled it and discovered they had indeed won the award, but it was a totally internal award, the design was deemed  the best of their own designs/plans.

No external competition in that whatsoever.

I look forward to see who is left to be nominated for a Pride of Swindon Award.

Could we nominate Talk Swindon?? Go on, dare you.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 03:43:13 PM »
I think that the presentation of an award to something means, that it needs looking at in detail:

Ruckus Wireless Recognised for Wireless Broadband Access
deployment for Swindon Borough Council

Ruckus wins public sector project of the year at Networking Computing Awards 2010

Using its next generation 802.11n Wi-Fi solutions, Ruckus Wireless helped Swindon Borough Council become the first community in the UK to provide free Wi-Fi for all its residents.
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 06:07:08 PM »
What is it we say, when we just want to remind ourselves of previous writings?

Time for a pre-election reprise.

Bumpety, bumpety BUMP!!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)