Author Topic: Adver Cloning  (Read 11736 times)

Offline Weebleman

Re: Adver Cloning
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 01:51:30 PM »
I'm wondering if other Newsquest sites are the same? 

Bournemouth had comments, nearly all threads about football, so I chose the one that might excite Adver commenters, about a barman being carried some distance on someone's bonnet.

I wish you hadn't done that Mugs. Being a Weymouth lad, I thought I'd take a quick look at the Dorset Evening Echo (also in the Newsquest stable, and yes the Adver login works there as well!) and I've just squandered a whole hour of my life    :tickedoff:

I came across this very long discussion (156 messages) and got wrapped up in it as it concerns an area I know all too well.
http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/10948347.Portlanders_protest_council_tax_rise/?ref=mr

And you're right, the standard of debate would never be maintained at such a 'polite' level on the Adver site. I thought the thread had many parallels with living and dealing with SBC.  Possibly of interest to those living in the new and amended Swindon parishes.

Worth a read - if you've got an hour to spare!

Weebs...

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »
Being a Weymouth lad

If you don';t behave yourself tonight Weebs I'll tell them exactly where you are from!!
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 03:42:30 PM »
Blast, you've just reminded me I have an urgent phone call to make to a friend in Weymouth..... Oh! Am I in trouble---  Bye!!!!!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2014, 05:52:30 PM »
I'm wondering if other Newsquest sites are the same? 

Bournemouth had comments, nearly all threads about football, so I chose the one that might excite Adver commenters, about a barman being carried some distance on someone's bonnet.

I wish you hadn't done that Mugs. Being a Weymouth lad, I thought I'd take a quick look at the Dorset Evening Echo (also in the Newsquest stable, and yes the Adver login works there as well!) and I've just squandered a whole hour of my life    :tickedoff:

I came across this very long discussion (156 messages) and got wrapped up in it as it concerns an area I know all too well.
http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/10948347.Portlanders_protest_council_tax_rise/?ref=mr

And you're right, the standard of debate would never be maintained at such a 'polite' level on the Adver site. I thought the thread had many parallels with living and dealing with SBC.  Possibly of interest to those living in the new and amended Swindon parishes.

Worth a read - if you've got an hour to spare!

Weebs...

Had a look, yes, they are debating and questioning properly.  I wonder if the Adver trolls realise that if others pop over the their comments page what a very poor show it is for Swindon?  Seeing as how the Adver is our only newspaper too  I wonder how difficult it would be for someone - else where - who did not know Talkswindon, to find a Swindon debate on line? 

I've tried, before now, to find an equivalent for other towns, and it is not easy.  So in any issue, the Adver comments might be the only 'forum' they go to or can find.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2014, 07:06:22 PM »
I wonder if cloning someone's account is illegal. In many ways it is worse than slander.

In the case of slander a person makes a false statement about another, but in the case of cloning they are impersonating that person and making it look as if those false statements have come directly from that person.

Either way, whoever is doing it is a very sad individual.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2014, 07:41:08 PM »
Even without taking legal action it would be simple for the  adver to remedy the situation.

A simple visual scan of one or two topics would quickly reveal one particular individual who obsessively turns every discussion into an anti-Labour crusade.

It is pretty obvious regardless of whoever he decides to log in as.

Having said that, I have instigated the legal process for the cloning of my own login.
The reason for doing so is that the impersonator has deliberately provoked others into hints of "sending the lads round"
As the same individual has previously logged in using MY real name and likes to eke out snippets of personal data, I will take the opportunity to defend myself

As I am in the process of moving, there is also the possibility of my homes new owners being unwittingly "affected"

I feel duty bound to also protect them

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 08:25:07 PM by I Could Do That »
Proud to be gone

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »
Even without taking legal action it would be simple for the  adver to remedy the situation.

A simple visual scan of one or two topics would quickly reveal one particular individual who obsessively turns every discussion into an anti-Labour crusade.

It is pretty obvious regardless of whoever he decides to log in as.

Having said that, I have instigated the legal process for the cloning of my own login.
The reason for doing so is that the impersonator has deliberately provoked others into hints of "sending the lads round"
As the same individual has previously logged in using MY real name and likes to eke out snippets of personal data, I will take the opportunity to defend myself

As I am in the process of moving, there is also the possibility of my homes new owners being unwittingly "affected"

I feel duty bound to also protect them

Good for you! 

Mind you they could claim diminished responsibility and use the garbage they post as conclusive evidence to back up the claim  :wink:

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »
Mind you they could claim diminished responsibility and use the garbage they post as conclusive evidence to back up the claim 

Ah, but they might get judge Douglas Field who would probably be very interested in one of the impersonators "favourite topics"  ???
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2014, 06:37:46 PM »
 :police:
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2014, 11:52:49 PM »

I think when trolls start inciting others into displays of threatening behaviour it's time to report your concerns.

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »

I think when trolls start inciting others into displays of threatening behaviour it's time to report your concerns.

In my experience, contacting your local police officer is a good place to start.

kareen
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 11:30:24 PM »
The wheels are in motion.

Some fascinating revellations have already been made.

Sorry I can't say more than that (yet)

The Bobby Wright thread will be very useful though

http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php/topic,8444.msg99266/topicseen.html#msg99266
Proud to be gone

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 02:16:41 PM »
Something to do with Ringer disappearing and Channel IX appearing out of the blue?

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 03:09:22 PM »
Absolutely
Proud to be gone

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
As recent cases have shown (including prosecutions) the days of the internet Troll being able to threaten and harass people on the internet with impunity are slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2014, 11:55:27 AM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10975371.Final_arrest_haul_47_as_Operation_Harness_delivers_message_to_drug_dealers/
Proud to be gone

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2014, 02:53:45 PM »
Something to do with Ringer disappearing and Channel IX appearing out of the blue?

Perchance are these two character names related to a Tim Newroman ?
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »

Perchance are these two character names related to a Tim Newroman ?

That's a pretty safe bet.

Latest comment he's suggesting that HE is reporting ME  :crazy2:

That's good news. It will save a lot of time tracing his IP address etc  :police:
He has yet to realise that his latest antics are a little more serious than having a similar login and breaking Adver rules
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2014, 10:08:29 AM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11026523.Cracks_in_walls_force_deacon_to_close_chapel_behind_Regent_Circus_development/
 :popcorn:
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2014, 10:13:33 AM »
Not so sure that the last comment allegedly posted on Swindon Advertiser was actually written by the good lady.
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11088727.Library_users_fear_hours_may_be_cut/
If not, I recoomend she contacts the police by dialling 101 and quotes Log no
Also inform Craig Lyus of The Swindon Advertiser 01793501862
 :coffee:
Proud to be gone