Author Topic: Adver Cloning  (Read 11953 times)

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
Adver Cloning
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:12:14 PM »
It appears that the latest tactic on the Adver comments section is to clone accounts and stir up trouble for that person.

I would imagine that very few people would have the ability to clone accounts.

Of the people capable of doing so, I suspect very few would feel inclined to be malicious on the adver comments section

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10946765.Driver_in_Swindon_police_chase_had_just_been_released_from_jail_for_same_crime/

Proud to be gone

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: Adver Cloning
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 09:30:41 AM »
Pfff

Perhaps its time for a few letters to the editor. Those comments are online and international as soon as they're posted. In terms of misrepresenting the town and its people, they are a real cyber-skid mark on the reputation of the town.

Its amazing how one person can create so much ill feeling and pointless wasted time - but I guess there's no accounting for a mixture of bile and self-satisfied manipulation in their sad world.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:44:26 AM »
Maybe after actually unmasking them aye! 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »
I'm mystified as to what the end "goal" is.
The person is obviously otherwise educated.
What is the point of obstructing other peoples opinions and discussions in such a bizarre manner?
Proud to be gone

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 10:17:14 AM »
they are a real cyber-skid mark on the reputation of the town.
:banana: :spin: What a wonderful expression Tobes!! I shall put that in my phrase book. :clap:
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 10:23:23 AM »
I'm sure that plenty of otherwise intelligent people are mentally I'll.  It has benn my observation that this is sometimes that they have nothing more absorbing to occupy their minds.

The support they get from this sort of behaviour is like a kiss or a cuddle to the rest of us. 

Sure Alex could contribute to this discussion, much more educated than mine.

I know I'm sane a phsyciatrist told me mum I was.    :coolsmiley: :WTF:t
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »
Well at least Talk Swindon is getting plenty of free publicity out of it
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10950288.Traffic_disruption_looms_over_homes_project/
Proud to be gone

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 09:56:42 PM »
The adver comments section has become pointless. I used to post there but joined Talkswindon when the Robfm vs Itsamess tit for tat arguments ruined the site.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 10:06:53 PM »
The best thing to do is to try and ignore the comments section.

ph1lc

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 10:29:43 PM »
The adver comments section has become pointless. I used to post there but joined Talkswindon when the Robfm vs Itsamess tit for tat arguments ruined the site.

Oh I don't know. I find it takes me back to the primary school playground.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 10:35:36 PM »

Oh I don't know. I find it takes me back to the primary school playground.
No, I think your average school playground is far less immature  :wink:

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 11:37:38 PM »
No, I think your average school playground is far less immature 
And less political and divisive 

My Adver login (cloned) has been having a pop at Richard, in my absence whilst I've been out hosting a dance evening  :popcorn:
Proud to be gone

ph1lc

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 08:37:39 AM »

My Adver login (cloned) has been having a pop at Richard, in my absence whilst I've been out hosting a dance evening  :popcorn:

Then complain to the adver and get the IP address that the message came from - it'll be fun to turn it round.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 08:57:44 AM »
Frankly, on several occasions now, posts here have taken me over to their comments page out of curiosity. thinking if it interested most of you, it might interest me.

Each time I've come out of it, wondering  why the heck you are all wasting your time even attempting to take a discussion to it. 

I find it difficult to read anyway, but every thread seems to descend into the childish backbiting replies and anyone that makes the remark 'I hope he dies' needs kicking off and quickly.   

I really cannot figure why the Adver allows it to go on, it would be better not being there, its bringing everyone who contributes and the Adver itself into disrepute.

Does the Adver moderate it at all?

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 09:56:46 AM »

Then complain to the adver and get the IP address that the message came from - it'll be fun to turn it round.

I did that.

The adver barred my account and let the troll continue to use my login  :crazy2:

Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 09:59:25 AM »
Does the Adver moderate it at all?

Don't think so.
Everyone recognises the troll's signature now .
Anyone trying to debate anything gave up long ago.

Proud to be gone

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 10:33:29 AM »
Well, it really is time they got to grips with it.

I guess the problems stem from the fact thats its a NewQuest template they're using for the comments section. They ought really either set up a proper forum - or allow comments but have them submitted by email and moderated first.

It would seem clear that they don't have the manpower to moderate a live feed - or the IT skills to spot the obvious abuses of the system.

However, I would hope that they awaken to the commercial damage they are doing themselves - any investor reading any of the comments running alongside their stories or ads is going to wonder what the hell is going on. And thats not even to get into the issues of the wider (and indelible, due to the nature of the internet) damage being done to the reputation of the entire town.

Come on Adver guys and gals - step up to it!
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 10:45:57 AM »
I'm wondering if other Newsquest sites are the same? 

Well that's was interesting, I looked a Dudley, Basildon, Brentwood, none of them had a comments section although their pages are exact set outs of the Adver.

Bournemouth had comments, nearly all threads about football, so I chose the one that might excite Adver commenters, about a barman being carried some distance on someone's bonnet.

Blimey - nip over and have a look a the difference.  For one thing you could follow the plot, the only adverse (mm that word seems familiar somehow) comment was "You down thumbed me you swine, lol"
Another actually apologised for something he had said.

The story could have had almost duplicate comments to the one about the young man and drug/driving, but it didn't.   

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »
I'm wondering if other Newsquest sites are the same? 

Yes they are and log in her will get you in on them as well.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Muggins

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 11:13:10 AM »
I didn't log in to any of those I tried, although I was invited to and the page jumped around a bit. I just closed down the request to join and carried on reading the page, I did this on three and no comments pages showed up at all, then on the last one it was all there, just like when I go onto our Adver site.