Author Topic: The Mayoral role - as described in SBCs 'The Role of The Mayor' booklet.  (Read 3915 times)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
I make no judgement at all about Nick Martin's ability to meet the requirements of the following role as described. Our councilors should be doing that. But it seems to me that this section has something piquant to say about the current situation.

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/cd/foi/cd-foi-publicationscheme/Pages/cd-foi-publilcationscheme.aspx?SectionName=Who%20We%20Are%20And%20What%20We%20Do&SubSectionName=Mayor%20of%20Swindon

The Mayoral office is largely civic and ceremonial; the Mayor is the civic
head of the Council, its representative and also Her Majesty the Queen’s
representative and, because of the long historical background associated
with the office, Mayors can be seen to be above or outside the general
hurly burly of local politics. The office is said to be the focus of civic
pride. Countless organisations of all descriptions welcome the Mayor to
their functions as the civic head of the Borough without any fear that they
may be favouring one political party more than another. In the same way,
many individuals write to the Mayor drawing attention to their problems - a
course of action they could be loath to take if they associated the Mayor
too closely with one or other political party. It is, of course, the Mayor, as
the Council’s representative and Civic Head who takes the leading role in
all civic ceremonial and who, at major civic functions, welcomes important
visitors, lays foundation stones, opens new buildings and inaugurates
special events.
Party politics, by their nature, can be divisive and the Mayor plays an
important role in uniting a Borough.
The cost of the Mayoralty to a Borough is, generally speaking, no more
than the cost of a Chairman to a District Council.
The Mayor is a representative rather than an individual. Although
individuals can and do bring, during their year of office, their own
distinctive personalities to the office, it is as the Council’s representative
that Mayors are entitled to the respect usually accorded to them.
Any slight on the Mayor is, by implication, both a slight on the Council and
the people of the Borough. Similarly, any honour bestowed on the Mayor
is an honour for the Council and the people of the Borough.

The Mayor has long been recognised as being, in his or her own Borough,
second only to Royalty and the Queen’s Deputy, the Lord Lieutenant, but
this high standing is mainly now one of honour and dignity rather than
legal powers.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
Re: The Mayoral role - as described in SBCs 'The Role of The Mayor' booklet.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »
Any slight on the Mayor is, by implication, both a slight on the Council and the people of the Borough. Similarly, any honour bestowed on the Mayor is an honour for the Council and the people of the Borough.

In that case, is any slight BY the Mayor, equally a slight BY the Council and people of the Borough?
Is any DISHONOUR bestowed on the Mayor, equally a DISHONOUR on the Council and people of the Borough?

If the actions of the mayor are inextricably linked with the Council and people of the Borough, then surely it would be appropriate for the Council and people of the Borough to apologise on his behalf.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:02:20 PM »

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/cd/foi/cd-foi-publicationscheme/Pages/cd-foi-publilcationscheme.aspx?SectionName=Who%20We%20Are%20And%20What%20We%20Do&SubSectionName=Mayor%20of%20Swindon

Party politics, by their nature, can be divisive and the Mayor plays an
important role in uniting a Borough.

Does anyone think that by his actions that Nick Martin is fulfilling this important part of the role?

For my part witnessing him voting to protect his position makes a complete mockery of the whole process and Swindon in particular!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline OTTed

• Colin Doubleday from Old Town Swindon
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 06:52:51 PM »
Having heard some of the defences of Cllr Martin, or was it the Mayor, in the confidence debate, it showed how myopic and selective some people can be when choosing parts of a document.
Sometimes it does well to remember with privileges come responsibility.
Perhaps Cllr Martin should debate the fine detail of this job description on the radio. He obviously needs some instruction on the finer points.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:33:53 AM »
In the Adver Today:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10931313.Election_campaign_kicks_off_with_visit_from_Harriet_Harman/

Mrs Harman also added her voice to calls for the Mayor Nick Martin to resign following alleged comments he made about the disabled.

She said: “I think people look towards the mayor as a representative of the town. It is not acceptable for him to make his remarks and continue so he must step down. ”
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 08:57:14 PM »
It's that time again.
Personally I think a mayor is just a councillor in fancy dress.
But apparently it's worth fighting over.

www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14231632.Parties_fight_over_who_should_hold_top_post/

What do others think?

You can even vote on The Adver' thread

A Row is brewing in the council chamber over the appointment of the next Mayor of Swindon.

Each year, the parties nominate one of their councillors to take the position of first deputy mayor before moving up to mayor.

The two positions are currently filled with Conservative councillors and the Labour Group believes it is their turn to name a candidate.

Labour says it follows the recent trend but the Conservatives believe they are keeping up with a tradition of the administration choosing the mayor for three of the four years of a period between elections.

Labour want veteran councillor Derique Montaut (Lab, Eldene, Liden and Park South) to take the role and believe with the move to electing the council by thirds, this tradition has changed.

It is thought the candidates being considered by the Tories are councillors Kevin Parry (Con, Covingham and Dorcan) and Maureen Penny (Con, Blunsdon and Highworth).

It has led to accusations of politicising the position to stop the longest serving councillor taking up the role.

Coun Jim Grant (Lab, Rodbourne Cheney), the leader of the opposition, said: “It is a shame that the Conservative Group are planning to renege on an agreed protocol for electing Swindon’s mayor.

“I have nothing against the Conservative candidates for mayor, I’m sure they work hard for their constituents and are diligent councillors, but between them they only have ten years of service on the council.

“Councillor Montaut has more than 30 years of service on the council. So to suggest this potential breaking of council protocol is anything other than a political move, which would politicise the office of the mayor, I think would be disingenuous.

“There is still time for the Conservative group to change their minds and not politicise the office of the mayor and I would urge them to do this.”

The current mayor is Andrew Bennett and the deputy is Eric Shaw.

In May, the deputy will move into the position of mayor to be replaced by the latest candidate.

Council leader David Renard (Con, Haydon Wick) says no decision has been made on the candidate for mayor but if a Conservative is selected it will follow protocol.

He said: “If you look back at all the mayors, it has always been the case that for three out of four years the administration has selected a mayor and the opposition has for one of those years.

“As last year’s mayor was Labour’s Teresa Paige the Conservative Group can chose again.

“Coun Montaut approached me to ask if we would allow him to be nominated and as it is up to the group I said I would consult with them.

“My understanding is there has been some interest from the Conservative Group so we will go from there.”

The decision on the mayor will be made at February’s full council meeting.

FACT FILE

THE role of the Mayor of Swindon is to act as an ambassador for the town at various functions.

Unlike some directly elected mayors, the incumbent does not have any direct powers and it is a non-political position.

Each mayor holds the position for a year before they are replaced by the deputy mayor.

Over the course of the term, the mayor will attend hundreds of events.

Council leader David Renard said: “The position of mayor is incredibly important.

"The mayor is the first citizen of Swindon and will represent the town at many important functions.

“Every year there are still hundreds of requests from charities, organisations and businesses for the mayor to come and visit so it remains incredibly popular with a lot of people.”

As well as making appearances, the mayor also selects three charities each year and will raise funds at various events.

It is also the job of the mayor to run council meetings.

Despite the non-political nature of the role, there has been controversies of the years.

Most notably, Nick Martin was forced to resign from the role in 2013 after making derogatory remarks about disabled people.
Proud to be gone

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 09:51:24 AM »
Personally I think a mayor is just a councillor in fancy dress.

I couldn't agree more.

But apparently it's worth fighting over.

They will fight over anything.  :fence: