Author Topic: New Speedway Stadium or Just Another Lie?  (Read 11596 times)

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
New Speedway Stadium or Just Another Lie?
« on: December 27, 2013, 05:27:50 PM »
I've only attended Speedway a few times, but those occasions were always at the request of visiting contractors that were interested in the sport or out of towners that had heard of Swindons' excellent speedway team.

I believe the speedway has existed since the 50s.
It's also one of those sports where you sit or stand alongside the opposition fans and discuss each others local heroes in a civilised manner.

In other words, the speedway stadium is one of the few components that Swindon can be proud of.

In recent plans to dispose of the stadium, for more housing sprawl, there is an ambiguous claim that a new stadium will be built in the future.

As the "new stadium funds" are to arise from Persimmon Homes (main players of the Coate destruction) I can't help but doubt that this part of Swindons'  cultural heritage will survive.

The goalposts are already shifting, with an extra 66 houses and no commercial area

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10898810.Swindon_Council_says_yes_to_66_houses_at_Abbey_Stadium_site/
Councillor Dale Heenan, cabinet member for strategic planning and sustainability said: “Since the outline planning permission was granted in 2008, the developer has said that economic conditions had changed and that the commercial uses agreed are no longer viable.

Does anyone seriously believe that the lying bastards will provide the town with a new stadium?

Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

Re: New Speedway Stadium or Just Another Lie?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 05:42:32 PM »
I think there will be a stadium, (of sorts) but we will loose the open market.

516 houses then. The land was earmarked originally for the university.  No factories, then low rise warehousing.
Of course, Motorala broke that barrier. 

Wondering if 'market forces' will change enough for Persimmon to say they can't sell houses next to a speedway stadium?

Also wondering why out of the 14 or so developers that have built in North Swindon - Abbey Meads, Priory Vale etc etc, Persimmon seem to be the only one still here? 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:44:47 PM »
Could you elaborate on your optimism?
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 05:54:56 PM »
It's that same deal of a supermarket plus housing, thingy, a sweetener.  Wonder if there are other deals going on to provide the stadium - or add on's, (like match funding?)  Wonder if there are covenants on that bit of land?

They are already taking about 450, it's just a few more as they see it.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »
Cllr Heenan appears to have successfully murdered Swindon's only commercial aerodrome, and did so using residents 'noise' concerns to bolster his own case.

Does anyone seriously believe that Heenan will politically fight FOR a speedway stadium?  No, he'll employ exactly the same hand wringing and hand washing tactics he's used to walk away from the Croft school debacle.

He's nothing if not predictably contemptible. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 10:57:50 PM »
Except there had been residents concerned about the noise at the aerodrome and complaints about low flying aircraft for and had been for years, some were convinced that the 'friendships' between owners of the place and councillors that could have been the reason it kept going so long. And wasn't there a couple of planning disputes about it too.

I wonder if they are up to a fight about the two things they would be losing - the speedway AND the market, both are well used if the full car parks are anything to go by. 

The speedway, of course, would be higher profile, having a longer history and being a champion team on many occasion.  They might feel that they would have an easier time losing the market.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 03:00:30 AM »
North Swindon's conservative councillors don't care about markets or speedway teams. They're more concerned with glad handing developers and new homes bonuses.  I don't share your faith in Tory councillors doing the right thing, in fact, their recent track record seems to suggeat they'll usually do the exact opposite of what people think has been promised.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 08:46:45 AM »
I think Geoff, that this will be a huge learning curve for them that voted them in.

Also throw into the mix The Parish council.  http://www.blunsdonparishcouncil.co.uk/members.php
If there is one thing this parish ought to be well versed and practised in, it's planning applications.....

I think the Speedway stadium falls into St. Andrew's Ward. (Justin's Mum's patch) another factor will be the Speedway followers, who don't all live locally. 

The stadium is well placed Just off the A419) although I have heard something about our derelict park and ride being used for an overflow park and ride for it.  Maybe that's the deal, that they can build on ALL the rest of the site.

Though why they can't leave a car park on site and build on the park and ride goodness knows.

The land there has been set for development donkeys years ago, with not much protest, so that battle was lost years ago too.  Although a couple of hundred of us did turn out on a wet muddy dark evening (with flaming torches) to walk it and claim it, back in the day. Dodging b*^&%y illegal motorcyclists, who did absolutely nothing to help our claims.

We all know that one things for sure, you are right, they won't be doing it because it's the right thing. But is it about the glad handing or just not knowing what they are doing? Or both?

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 08:47:50 AM »
track record seems to suggest they'll usually do the exact opposite of what people think has been promised.

That's my opinion of SBC in general.

An opinion formed by carefully worded statements that gave an ambiguous
 promise that the new hospital would not set a precedent for building in the area (Coate)

another carefully worded promise that no university means no housing development at Coate (which they constantly referred to as Commonhead) etc

A promise that attendance levels will be carefully phased in to enable careful monitoring of future traffic chaos at Croft

If the speedway promise is a real one, let's see the stadium built before the houses
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 09:26:40 AM »
The Adver comments section on this topic has already descended to the level of telling people to move if they  don't like what's happening to Swindon.

In my experience of moving, talking to estate agents, mortgage lenders, solicitors, surveyors, etc, moving out is exactly what many born and bred Swindonians are doing.

Tempting as it is to inform the Adver trolls of the facts, I'll discuss the demise of Swindons' cultural heritage here instead

Hooray for Talk Swindon
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »
Ah, just noticed the catch - "ICDT Quote -If the speedway promise is a real one, let's see the stadium built before the houses"

Now I can better predict and agree with Geoff.  The developers will want to build housing first, and not only to get a few bob in the bank to pay for the stadium.  Does anyone know how/who is paying for the stadium? The developers contribution may only be the land.

Once the housing is built, probably with no stadium functioning, the people living in said houses will then protest about the stadium - traffic - noise - louts (even if there won't be any, that bit will be flogged out of proportion.) etc.

Then our dear councillors will be able to say they were the hero's of the hour by stopping the stadium being built.

Are we ready for that?   :thumb:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 02:32:51 AM »
The Adver comments section on this topic has already descended to the level of telling people to move if they  don't like what's happening to Swindon.

In my experience of moving, talking to estate agents, mortgage lenders, solicitors, surveyors, etc, moving out is exactly what many born and bred Swindonians are doing.

Tempting as it is to inform the Adver trolls of the facts, I'll discuss the demise of Swindons' cultural heritage here instead

Hooray for Talk Swindon

Huzzah!   

Neither the Adver Trolls or their politician doppelgangers have ever let mere facts get in their goose-stepping way  :)

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 08:26:45 PM »
Looks like one promise is going to be honoured.........

To build more houses

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10913458.Stadium_plan_back_on_track/

It is anticipated the money generated from these sales will prompt the long-awaited new development to replace the 60-year-old track at Blunsdon and provide training facilities.

Anticipation
the action of anticipating something; expectation or prediction.

Doesn't mean there will be a stadium replacement served up on a plate

“But the most important aspect is the renewal of the stadium itself which I know everybody wants.”

Let's see the design, allocated area, and the footings for that first then.

I note the adver comments section is not enabled on this oh so sensitive topic

Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 07:24:57 AM »
Vera's not a speedway fan then?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10989448.Call_to_take_a_detailed_look_at_houses_bid/

A LOCAL councillor has said a controversial housing proposal in North Swindon is worth consideration as it may bring a number of benefits to the area.

What might those benefits be?
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:27:06 AM »
I'll agree with her that the development as a whole, needs to be done carefully and I agree with Blunsdon that it needs doing within the Northern development plan. 

As far as I can remember the plan was for a stadium to be included, so that's been functioning and renewal thereof has been planned for years now.  There are bits of land up there that were set aside for low rise warehousing an I think this is what they are giving up to housing. 

If the latest to-do is about the noise of the stadium on the new houses, then tough.  It's not like it would be all day every day. 

In the early 60's I went to Speedway regularly for a couple of years, with mates and had to walk there or back from Rodbourne. There was Special bus but we could only affords one way. I can't think why I went to that effort, the speedway itself didn't interest me much, though I loved the smell.   

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 04:48:17 PM »

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10989448.Call_to_take_a_detailed_look_at_houses_bid/

A LOCAL councillor has said a controversial housing proposal in North Swindon is worth consideration as it may bring a number of benefits to the area.

Oh , perhaps an urgently needed primary school?

When I was taught about the birds and the bees.. there was no mention of 4-5 year olds popping up fully formed.

Therefore how can a school be urgently needed?

Perhaps because of the intentional 2009 decision to move North Swindon school funding to South Swindon in the full knowledge that it was needed for North Swindon? 

Who would be fooled by North Swindon councillors of or since 2009 who say they knew nothing about this?

Who indeed? 

Kareen

It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »

Nothing to do with the recent £5million bribe / backhander / envelope stuffed with used notes from the government for building new houses of course...

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10988915.Council_lands___5million_for_New_Homes_Scheme/

Offline Muggins

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 08:31:59 AM »
Slightly off thread, but why a Fun fair (granted this is temporary) and car park when the Groundwell park and ride is an ideal place for more housing?

Offline PAV

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 07:41:40 PM »
Slightly off thread, but why a Fun fair (granted this is temporary) and car park when the Groundwell park and ride is an ideal place for more housing?

Groundwell isn't exactly the most salubrious of locations.

Personally I don't think the stadium will happen. Stadia UK have form when it comes to not following through on their plans.

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2015, 08:28:49 AM »
Looks like prominent cracks are already starting to appear.

http://m.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/13842393.New_stadium_held_at_the_red_tapes/

Construction of the Robins new £5 million home, which is being built adjacent to the existing Abbey Stadium, has been delayed as the finer details of the planning process involving ground drainage and noise reduction, which come under a reserved matters application, were drawn up. 
Proud to be gone