Author Topic: Green Waste Bins - was this really a consultation?  (Read 17995 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Green Waste Bins - was this really a consultation?
« Reply #100 on: March 19, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
I went to the tip last Monday at about 11.00am and was gobsmacked. In previous visits even at the weekend, I've been able to get in and out of the tip in a matter of ten to fifteen minutes.

Given it was a work day and overcast, I was astounded to find myself not only queuing back out onto the road, but when I finally got through the entrance, realising that I was part of what must have been well over 100 cars parked in the kind of rows you normally see before entering a cross-channel ferry. Absolutely astounding numbers.

Come the proper warm weather, the system will simply grind to a halt as Morsey says.

And what will that result in? The obvious. Fly-tipping in the back alleys, cut-throughs, at the sides of the road or in the surrounding countryside by the less social residents of the town; dumping which will either completely scupper the attempt of the council to improve the image and brand of the town OR which will cost far more than the cost of organised collection to clear away....

SBC SNAFU

Tig and I have made 3 unsuccessful attempts to visit the 'recycling' centre in the last 5 days. On each attempt the traffic queue began at the Mini Roundabout at the end of Darby Close and, (presumably like many other people who simply turned around and drove away), I had neither the time or inclination to do my environmental or civic duty. 

After 3 attempts which approximate to 18 road miles I sent the entire consignment to landfill via other means which I've also already paid for.  I expect a proportion of other people will, by now, have fly-tipped their loads.  Once people realise that it's easier and quicker to either fly-tip or cram their re-cyclables into their wheelie bins than to bother even attempting to visit the Cheney Manor site, then the whole system, and the point of the whole system, has been royally screwed up hasn't it?

Another epic and ongoing failure from SBC, and which Tory muppet is responsible for this one?

Cllr Richard Hurley

Apparently Richard has some experience as a catering manager, but putting the black bin bags in the Biffa Bin doesn't seem to have equipped him for his portfolio responsibilities which include:

Councillor Richard Hurley Cabinet Member for Public Protection, Housing and Streetsmart (Delivery)

Ward: Covingham and Dorcan

Portfolio Responsibilities:

Police Authority/Police and Crime Commissioner liaison

Community Safety Partnership

Environmental and Public Protection Services

Gypsies, Travellers and Unauthorised Encampments

Reducing Drugs, Alcohol and Substance Abuse

Allocations and Advice Services

Empty Homes

Estate and Tenancy Management

Housing Enabling and Strategic Services

Homeline Services

Homelessness

Housing Right to Buy/Sales Services

Neighbourhood Wardens

Private Sector Housing Renovation Grants

Repair and Improvements to Council Housing Stock

Sheltered Accommodation

Streetsmart (delivery)

Public Toilets,

Waste Disposal / Waste Minimisation

Recycling

Refuse Collection – Domestic & Trade

Cemeteries & Crematoria.

Ground & Tree Maintenance and open spaces

Removal of graffiti and abandoned vehicles

Parks

Playgrounds, including those that are not presently utilised

It will be worth monitoring how many other areas/sevices which come under Cllr Hurley's 'control' will also start grinding to a halt.  Perhaps if he paid as much attention to the rest of the Borough as he does to his own conservatory he'd be aware that more things are rotten in this borough than whatever has been recently thrown at his sun room .....

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #101 on: March 19, 2014, 04:32:03 PM »
Good grief!

How can any single councillor be expected to get an effective grip of a portfolio that enormous - and that diverse!?

Again, this is one of the problems in combating the general perception that councillors are over-paid. They may not all earn the money they do receive in terms of demonstrable skill or professionalism - but a glance at this portfolio shows that it clearly SHOULD be a full time occupation. Unfortunately, given their low rate of standard pay, it makes it unlikely...

Does councillor Hurley have another job which he juggles with his duties as a councillor, or is he a full-timer?

Personally, I have a certain amount of pre-existing cynicism regarding councillor Hurley's judgements, due to the cock-up surrounding the Brunel license issue. I hear he was sat on the panel the very evening the application was presented...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #102 on: March 19, 2014, 04:38:43 PM »

The size of these portfolios is, imho, evidence that the 'Strong' Leader & Cabinet model is particularly unsuited to providing sensible and effective governance of even a medium sized town such as Swindon and that it encourages the centralisation of a ridiculous number of services and areas into a too-small number of often inexperienced and incompetent hands.

When things go well the Cllr's involved claim the credit, when they go bad they blame the officers.

More reasons to go back to the committee system I think......

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #103 on: March 19, 2014, 04:46:35 PM »
 :clap:

Like Morsey says, if its this bad in March, the whole concept will fold around their ears come June/July!

Making the occasional mistake is human enough, but our current public 'servants' seem to be trying to make themselves The Gold Standard of Obvious Failure...

Well, time to light up the brazier, stuff as much left-over green waste as possible into the blue bin liner, crack a can and watch the next predictable and entertaining feck-up unfold...

:popcorn:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »
Me and Mrs Alligator were discussing how we will react to the changes being made, so far we haven't created a significant amount of garden waste but we see that changing soon as in past years we have generated quite a few bags of waste in the summer months but very rarely generated more than the 4 bag limit that applied.

We weighed up the option of paying our £40 and getting the bin as opposed to using the free space in our household waste bin and thereby send the waste to landfill, burn some of the waste or start queuing at Cheney Manor.

We decided to opt for the wait and see approach as we don't always fill our bin and concluded that the local elections may deliver a change in control of the Council, or at cause them to re-think this and possibly change the policy, therefore we concluded that we'd be mad to be an 'early adopter' of a flawed policy which we can easily adopt later if we need to.

Perhaps TS can find a way of running our own consultation?  A survey monkey type questionnaire similar to, but less flawed than, the council's version may be needed.

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2014, 02:22:23 PM »
Me and Mrs Alligator were discussing how we will react to the changes being made, so far we haven't created a significant amount of garden waste but we see that changing soon as in past years we have generated quite a few bags of waste in the summer months but very rarely generated more than the 4 bag limit that applied.

We weighed up the option of paying our £40 and getting the bin as opposed to using the free space in our household waste bin and thereby send the waste to landfill, burn some of the waste or start queuing at Cheney Manor.

We decided to opt for the wait and see approach as we don't always fill our bin and concluded that the local elections may deliver a change in control of the Council, or at cause them to re-think this and possibly change the policy, therefore we concluded that we'd be mad to be an 'early adopter' of a flawed policy which we can easily adopt later if we need to.

Perhaps TS can find a way of running our own consultation?  A survey monkey type questionnaire similar to, but less flawed than, the council's version may be needed.

Great idea Alligator- I wonder why it never crosses the mind of our esteemed leaders to genuinely consult in this way.

It seems they do have the ability to use email ( as evidenced by Mr Bluh's lengthy but particularly patronising and  unimaginative response to my request to ask him to get SBC to support the Robin Hood Tax as many other councils have).

Not beyond the wit of the administrators surely?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »
I have quite a large garden, and so have space to accommodate another compost bin or even two more.  Not that I'll ever have a use for the compost once made, our garden is already a foot higher than next doors.

I already have a shredder, so I will just have to drag that ours out of the shed more, and disturb the neighbours more, it a fun thing to do, very satisfying, but it is a tad noisy. The arisings from that, I can use, and may be able to persuade others to have what's left - good mulch and all that.

We've just returned from shopping and glad not to have to buy the green bags, hope the people that make them realise there will be a slump in sales.

I know what will happen to most others around here, over the back fence it will go into Penhill Copse. And I know what will happen to it down in abbey Meads - over the back fence into spinneys and the Old Parish boundary  and garden rubbish dumped is a killer of anything underneath it.

Whatever did we do with our garden rubbish before the free collection? Because I can't ever remember putting mine in the landfill bag. 

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2014, 06:07:29 PM »
You'd compost what you could and bonfires for the rest.  I can remember many a bonfire when I was growing up yet the last one I've seen recently was probably around 5th November.   Some people don't like the smoke but frankly at times it's no worse than smelling the umpteenth bbq on a hot weekend.

Plus there are various plant diseases where the only thing you can do with the affected plant is to burn it, composting would just spread it.

Offline swindoncentric

« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2014, 05:01:41 PM »
Several sacks of green waste in our patch that have been by the side of the road for several weeks have now helpfully been slapped with a few 'handy stickers' from the council to say this is not the correct way to dispose of your garden waste.

At what stage does refusing to collect green waste bags as flytipping to teach people a lesson about paying for a bin (again on top of your council tax) and then paying the annual collection charge (again, on top of your council tax) cross over to being a public health problem?

But thank goodness they've invested in stickers.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2014, 05:17:54 PM »
Same round here - and all over,  now I come to think of it.

Thing is, they are not punishing those who put the bags out, but the rest of us too.

Probably most of those who put them out didn't realise there was a change so didn't do it out of spite. Those with grass cutting in will be like lead weights by now. 

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2014, 03:56:24 PM »
If Averies insist on coming to Groundwell Park and ride, I have just thought of a way to get rid of all those green sacks lying uncollected around Swindon and a solution to chaining me and my mates to the gates.

I'm reckoning those bags must be pretty soggy and disgusting by now! 

Any one know anyone with no sense of smell and big tip up truck?

Please don't recommend us using one Swindon firm, it begins with A and ends with S. :tickedoff:

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2014, 06:08:09 PM »
Did you know you are not allowed to place green bags of green waste in your green bin?

Seems a bit perverse as it goes in the same wagon. I could put my green bin out and place the green bags next to it, no problem. Put the green bags in the green bin and we have an 'issue'.

I know this because one of the marmosets communicated this to me via a specially made sticker which he stuck on my bin.

P'raps I'll just set light to it and wait for some mug to move it for me.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2014, 06:11:29 PM »
 ;D

:clap:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2014, 06:25:11 PM »
Really, honestly, can you, if you have green bin leave green bags out by it!   

I off to do a bit of gorilla green bag dumping legitimately.  Find someone else's green bin and put a green bag by it. 

Mr Muggins load up the boot - we're going where the bins are greener.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »
You mustn't do that!

If you put the green bag in the green bin some poor bugger will get stickered and, probably, cast into eternal hellfire, maybe even subjected to a terse note on headed paper.

You have to empty the green bag into the green bin, then place the now empty green bag into the black bin.

Never forget, it doesn't have to make sense.

Empty my feckin bins? I should be so fortunate.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2014, 09:21:52 PM »
Isn't the recycling system wonderful.

We wash out our glass bottles and tin cans, carefully flatten our cardboard boxes, fold our waste paper and deposit in all in the appropriate orange boxes. We mow our lawns and trim our hedges and deposit the waste into green bins.

A big lorry comes and takes it away to a recycling centre where it is piled up and sits there until it catches fire and pollutes the atmosphere.

Why don't we just set fire to it ourselves and cut out the middle man.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2014, 03:47:28 PM »
What caught fire was we are told the contents of skips, not the contents of you recycling effort.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #117 on: August 13, 2014, 12:24:36 AM »
Did you know you are not allowed to place green bags of green waste in your green bin?

Seems a bit perverse as it goes in the same wagon. I could put my green bin out and place the green bags next to it, no problem. Put the green bags in the green bin and we have an 'issue'.

I know this because one of the marmosets communicated this to me via a specially made sticker which he stuck on my bin.

P'raps I'll just set light to it and wait for some mug to move it for me.

Ah...'Wrens Marmosets' - that phrase is as recurringly pleasing as their bi-weekly (if you're lucky) marmosetishness is irritating  ;D