Author Topic: thamesdown drive  (Read 16095 times)

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: thamesdown drive
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2015, 10:18:42 PM »
The delay on Thamesdown Drive was almost certainly caused by an accident - they are forever happening along there, high time something serious was done about it.

OH M you need to get out more, there was no accident just traffic chaos and it is the lights that cause the accidents by people driving too fast trying to beat them!

The Cheney Manor Trading estate is the one that can be accessed from Akers Way and Cheney Manor Road, a lot of businesses functioned there for many years, despite the sewage works over the railway line. If its not regenerated as a trading estate/business park it will be housing.

the plan I believe is to start on that side of the railway line - then go under the railway, about the same place a spur will go off into Cheney Manor Trading Estate.  It will come out somewhere by B@Q and a roundabout is already there in anticipation. 

The plan is, unless Dale Heenan has another bright idea to defuse the desire for this road, is to be a continuation of the present Thamesdown drive and go into a single carriageway and proceed straight until it hits the Railway embankment and at that point there will be a roundabout with a spur into Cheney Manor to the left and a road going under a railway bridge which will go through the industrial units on the other side and come out by B&Q and thus create a wonderful bottle neck.  The road needs to be a dual carriageway in continuation of the present road but that has not been planned, even by the pressure group and this is wrong, but like anything else is Swindon why do the job properly when you can spend millions screwing it up?

But then you knew all that anyway M!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2015, 10:22:13 PM »
One of the louded proclaimed pluses for having the new road, would be the hoped revitalisation of the Cheney Manor Trading estate.

And more peace for those long Akers Way, Moredon Road and Cheney Manor Road.

Never mind the pluses M, it is essential to build the new road to keep the heavy lorries that will be using the Council incinerator away from Bruce Street Bridges and or Akers Way, otherwise we might as well forget the Regeneration of this Industrial Estate demolish it and use it for housing Now!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2015, 10:26:17 PM »
Akers Way will not improve until access to Nova Hreod is sorted out. Having one way in and out of the school doesn't work. If they eventually sort out the school access, Moredon should have some relief, however Cheney Manor will still be busy, as I can't see any of the parents dropping off their kids and heading to the relief road - it's a much shorter route to head down Cheney Manor road instead.

A very valid point and another one for the 'drips under pressure' that are the so called experts in matters traffic in SBC to attend to!

The trouble is that with no imagination and problems almost everywhere where on earth would they start?

Offline PAV

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2015, 09:29:59 AM »
The more I read about this the more it becomes clear that Swindon needs a proper western bypass. Like the A419, but from J16, past Lydiard and west Swindon and right up to the top of Thamesdown Drive.

The bulk of the traffic on Mead Way is from traffic heading from J16 and Windmill Hill, up to the north of the town. An extension to Thamsdown Drive will only increase pressure on already overcrowded junctions, like Bruce Street Bridges, Mannington etc.

I also think the council need to do a lot more to maximise the roads we already have. Parking along Ferndale Road and traffic calming among Pinehurst Road makes two perfectly good main routes almost unusable. Opening up these two would take a lot of traffic away from hot spots like BSB and the Moonrakers.

Offline Phil Chitty

• The user formerly ph1lc
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2015, 04:56:30 PM »
Absolutely spot on PAV.

With access from the northern and western estates, probably to a new J16A.

That will take an awful lot of traffic away from meadway, mannington etc and this proposed extension will not be needed.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »
Thing is, that the roads - Ferndale Road and Pinehurst Road have been the subject of accident preventions schemes. The traffic was using Pinehurst Road after the Cirencester/Great Western Way  was built, still taking the short cuts instead of the routes built for heavier traffic. It would bottle neck at the Pinehurst Road/Ferndale rod crossroads, backing right up past No 13, where my sister lived at the time. Not at all sure that the fumes didn't kill her in the end. 

At least on Pinehurst Road there were also nasty accidents, so with that and the increased traffic, something had to be done to get it onto the Cirencester road - built to take the traffic and not through a housing estate.

If you made a ring road out of Thamesdown Drive, in a few years you would need to move it out past the Tadpole lane developments.

I remember the discussions on the Thamesdown Drive (before it had a name)  that it would be used as cut across town from the A419 to the Great Western Way for the Motorway, probably that's why its dual carriageway and so blessed fast - did I say it is now Swindon's most dangerous road?  And that was the reason for building in another road towards town - and remember this should have been completed yonks ago. We should be now be talking about repairs to it, not the blessed plan for it.

The residents of Whitworth Road, Cheney Manor and Pinehurst all up in arms because of the increase traffic on roads not suitable to take it.  I Imagine trying to get off Penhill if all that traffic came down Cricklade road and onto Whitworth Road. Even back then a friend living in Haydon View (small estate off Whitworth Road close - about half way between the top of Pinehurst Road and Thames Ave) would turn out of his estate on his way to his business in Cirencester, and it would take him as long to get form that junction to Cricklade Road as it took him to get from there to Cirencester.

Whatever the road lay out, with the traffic we have these days Bruce Street bridge will be inadequate, how can it be any different there is just no room left to build bigger roads to the town centre. 

Park and rides might be the answer.......they've been mothballed. I'm remembering that councillor that found an odd £6? million hiding in the accounts that time - maybe that's where that money went.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2015, 09:27:28 AM »
I drove to work again this morning.

Trying to get onto Whitehill Way - worse than before, a lot of traffic heading towards Mead Way. I think Whitehill Way needs a relief road more than anything....oh sorry, it already has one - the dual carriageway between Mannington and Blagrove that no one uses!

Once again, Akers Way, jammed up all the way back to the end of Thamesdown Drive, eventually finding out the cause, no it's not roadworks, no it's not an accident, it's Nova Hreod - I couldn't believe how much traffic is coming out of there - and it's not even time to start school yet!

I agree with the postings above, the relief road needs to be heading out of the town rather than into it, problems are it's then heading into the Wiltshire Borough Council, Lydiard Park, and the Swindon and Cricklade Railway.

Yes we did have park and rides, unfortunately I heard no one was using the one at the northern side of the town, and the Penhill residents were benefiting from cheaper bus rides to the town centre. I've found that the council don't like people finding ways for cheaper bus trips, that's why the old No 18 route was scrapped - at the time it was cheaper to travel from West Swindon to the Northern Orbital than it was to the Town Centre.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2015, 02:38:43 PM »
Absolutely spot on PAV.

With access from the northern and western estates, probably to a new J16A.

That will take an awful lot of traffic away from meadway, mannington etc and this proposed extension will not be needed.

Totally agree with both of you!

Being present at Planning when Tadpole Farm was approved the Council fought shy of insisting for an access road to A419 which could have been the first bit of the ring road.  This was part of the original plans but it would appear they did not want to upset the developers, heaven forbid!

Now maybe Des Moffatt should redirect his efforts towards that end rather than try to find out who owns the path to his Thamesdown Drive Extension!

Offline Donian

• Hello !
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2015, 05:16:13 PM »
The  northern access route for Tadpole Garden Village links to the A419 via the old A419 through Blunsdon.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2015, 06:59:08 PM »
Midlander - re Park and Ride.  Why that rumour of no one using it persisted/s amazes me, it was a little slow to take off, but nowhere near as long as the gossips said. 

It quickly became very popular, and the car park was full every day we went past, which was a lot as our family were all living in different parts of Northern development and we frequented the new shopping centre quite often.

Lets face it look at all those car spaces, that was that many cars off the road going on into town - a bus takes 50 odd.   
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2015, 11:42:16 AM »
The  northern access route for Tadpole Garden Village links to the A419 via the old A419 through Blunsdon.

You mean that junction where you have to go right to turn left and left to turn right?

I imagine many people living around Tadpole lane would head west, then up through Cricklade. I see the crossroads just to the west of the Swindon and Cricklade Railway have been improved to make it easier for cars to turn right and take the shortcut up there.

One way of improving the traffic flow from the A419 to Junction 16 would be to build a Cricklade bypass. If the B4553 was diverted to the east at the point just before entering the town, and joins up directly with the A419 junction, I'm sure it would make the people of Cricklade a lot happier, as they are constantly complaining about traffic through their town.

Only problem is it would cross the intended northern section of the Swindon and Cricklade Railway, and I believe they intend to build a station there eventually.

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »

Lets face it look at all those car spaces, that was that many cars off the road going on into town - a bus takes 50 odd.

It was a good idea, and it certainly works in places like Oxford, although only because parking in the city centre is very expensive.

However our council seem to prefer people to drive cars around the town for some reason, if they wanted people to use other means, they wouldn't cut back our bus services or close our cycle paths like they have over the past two years

Offline Muggins

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2015, 07:45:54 PM »
I agree with you Midlander,  it was all part of a Sustainable Traffic Plan and if you take away a component part of a plan the rest all creeks and judders. 

I can understand some of the Park and Ride issue, I'm fairly sure the site and several years subsidy for the buses was sought from the Northern Developers, it was just a case of keeping the subsidy going.

However although it was well used the buses were every ten minutes throughout the day, and some ran rather empty. But at peak times it must have worked.  Penhill is just across the road, why they couldn't have run ten minutes buses then - express -wise and just taken the P&R rest  into the Penhill bus route, I don't know. I'm sure it could have been achieved with a bit of negotiation.  Penhill has a fairly good bus service.

It's all ten steps backwards these days, that's for sure.