Author Topic: Wi-Fi For Bus Passengers  (Read 3575 times)

Offline Richard Symonds

Wi-Fi For Bus Passengers
« on: October 21, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »
In the Advertiser this morning.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10750011.Wi_fi_for_bus_passengers

Can Thamesdown Transport actually afford this type of luxury or should they be spending their money on supporting

er............ BUS SERVICES?

Has all the hallmarks of a vanity pRoject to me!!

All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
Re: Wi-Fi For Bus Passengers
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 04:28:05 PM »
I'm sure the people who've recently lost their bus service will be pleased to know that those lucky enough to have a bus service will now have free wifi.  ::)

I know the Stagecoach Swindon-Oxford service is meant to have free wifi (which is useful as it's a long bus journey) but that doesn't mean TT has to do the same - especially on the Swindon routes.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:54:05 PM »
What a waste, as I can see them following some of the towns and cities in dropping the bus lanes - bad mistake, no one will want to travel on the bus and the Wifi will be a waste of effort and our money again.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »
I've seen notices on some of the buses for a while now informing me that I've got a free wifi connection there. I haven't used it.

I'm a bit of a late adopter when it comes to wifi, having only in the last few months bought myself a laptop in order to take advantage of the wifi service which most hotels seems to offer these days, so that I can still get onto the interwebs when I'm out of town (it was either that or get a smartphone, and my dumb phone, whilst not being very good at the interwebs, still has some life in it yet I think).

From my experiences so far, I suspect that trying to use the on-bus wifi service would be rather inefficient, because by the time I'd managed to connect to the service and get onto the interwebs, I'd be half way to wherever I was going on the bus, and wouldn't have much time to do anything useful.

I'm sure the people who've recently lost their bus service will be pleased to know that those lucky enough to have a bus service will now have free wifi.  ::)

I know the Stagecoach Swindon-Oxford service is meant to have free wifi (which is useful as it's a long bus journey) but that doesn't mean TT has to do the same - especially on the Swindon routes.

Exactly, it's about an hour on the bus to Oxford so it makes sense on that journey (I have yet to take the laptop on a train journey but I think it would make sense there too), but not on my average 10-15 minute bus journeys within Swindon.

If Thamesdown Transport want to get all hi-tech, I think they should start with those displays at some of the bus stops, which tell you when the next buses are due to arrive. They're a great idea, but they need to display accurate information.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 09:07:43 AM »
Like I said before, the people who make these decisions live on another planet, have no idea who uses their buses (is the Wifi only on the buses used for the longer journeys?) and fail to realise those that's are switched on to the information highway have their own smart phones and therefore their own wifi arrangements. 

It's a bit like little boy decisions, with no one holding on to their collars to draw them back and give them time to think again.

AND there is no historical memory to prevent them making the same mistake over and over again.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 09:30:52 AM »
The trouble is M that this is yet another example of our 'Free Spending' Council in action.  What are you going to do when they cut your community budget to pay for it?

Anyway as promised here is the article complete with highly relevant comments!!

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10750011.Wi_fi_for_bus_passengers/

Wi-fi for bus passengers

1:00pm Sunday 20th October 2013 in News By Michael Benke

From left, Keith Smith, Paul Jenkins and Maureen Corcoran on a Thamesdown Transport bus which has wi-fi

BUS passengers in Swindon could soon all have access to the internet as they travel through the town.

A trial is being carried out which would see those on buses have free access to wi-fi wherever they are.

Swindon Travel Choices, funded by the council, and Thamesdown Transport have been working together to trial the scheme on a number of buses on the number 15 route, which runs from East Wichel and through to Haydon Wick.

The trial started at the beginning of May and once sufficient feedback has been received a decision will be made on whether to spread it across the network.

A Swindon Council spokesman said: “We are currently evaluating data from the wi-fi trial on the number 15 bus with a view to rolling it out on to other Thamesdown Transport bus services.”

The services on the trial will have no sign-up process or password so passengers will be able to get online straight away. All that is needed is for users to click a box accepting the terms and conditions.

Anyone choosing to use the wi-fi is able to surf the internet, check their email and even download small amounts.

The idea of having free access to the internet has been widely welcomed by bus users travelling around the town.

“I think it’s a perfect idea, especially if it’s a free service,” said Kieran Richmond, 18, of Moredon.

“I use the buses almost every day so would definitely use it. “These days everyone uses wi-fi so it makes sense to have it on the buses.

Alan Page, 68, of Penhill, said: “Everyone is able to use the internet on the trains so they should be able to use them on the buses.

“It’s a good idea because, although I don’t use it myself, a lot of people do and it will be very useful for people if they are stuck in traffic and need to get in contact with their work.

“These days everyone needs to be flexible and this will help.”

Sam Blackman, 16, of Haydon Wick, believes the wi-fi would help the buses enter the 21st century.

He said: “It is a good way of modernising the buses. I think if it gets up and running it will be very useful.

“It is a good way for the council to spend money.”

Comments (7)

Sort comments by 
1:15pm Sun 20 Oct 13
Phantom Poster says...

--\"Alan Page, 68, of Penhill, said: “Everyone is able to use the internet on the trains so they should be able to use them on the buses.

“It’s a good idea because, although I don’t use it myself, a lot of people do and it will be very useful for people if they are stuck in traffic and need to get in contact with their work."--

It's not free on the train and I think that if someone wants to get in contact with work then a phone might work better!
Score: 6
Dislike
Quote »
Report this post »
5:07pm Sun 20 Oct 13
Hmmmf says...

Sam Blackman, 16 said:
It is a good way for the council to spend money.

Wait until it's your money they're spending, Sam.
They've blown taxpayer's money on 'free wifi' before, though at least last time they intended the whole of Swindon to benefit from it, not just a bus-going minority.
Score: 5You voted +1
Quote »
Report this post »
5:24pm Sun 20 Oct 13
knittynora says...

As someone who depends totally on the buses I'd rather have a regular reliable and frequent service on my route than wifi availability, but maybe I'm just old fashioned.
Score: 11
Dislike
Quote »
Report this post »
6:40pm Sun 20 Oct 13
MrAngry says...

It seems strange that they are spending money on luxuries while cutting services.
Score: 13
Dislike
Quote »
Report this post »
8:05pm Sun 20 Oct 13
Eppster says...

If I need access to the internet when I am out and about my smartphone works fine - don't need wifi - and ain't carting a laptop or tablet around with me!and certainly not on a bus - why not use the cash to make travel cheaper and more reliable instead? :P
Score: 10
Dislike
Quote »
Report this post »
1:21pm Mon 21 Oct 13
Alan B'stard says...

I want a bus that has free wi fi and Starbucks with the chance for me to look important when really I'm just playing solitaire.
Score: 0
Dislike
Quote »
Report this post »

1:51pm Mon 21 Oct 13
house on the hill says...

do we know what percentage of travellers actually use it? As others have said, surely the priority should be the bus service and not the "extras"
Score: 0
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »
Is this behind the curve as my phone and tablet is covered by unlimited data use.  It could be its inclusive so that the pay as you go peeps can use wassapp or face time on the bus at the expense of the council. Go on some one somewhere tell me its a wifi on wheels and no doubt inclusive community usage will be claimed in some report somewhere  :-\
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 11:29:35 AM »
2009. Swindon was promised a "Borough wide wi-fi system". It transpired that this system would be trialled at Highworth and then, if successful, be progressively "rolled out" around the borough. This promise was made repeatedly,despite the failure of the trial, until SBC had paid over a considerable amount of money. The project then went very quiet.

2013. Swindon will now get a scaled down version of the original Wi-Fi plan which in fact is cheaper, more vibrant and certainly more innovative than the original. SBC will confirm that the original plan was brilliant and forward thinking and therefore a success, with the £0.5M well spent.

This is the cunning plan: Thamesdown Transport will have one bus with Wi-Fi fitted which will tour the whole borough so that prospective internet "surfers" can simply time their downloads to the local bus timetable. Simple! Innovative! Vibrant!

(N.B. Digital City UK, although it hasn't been trading, is still a going concern according to Companies House.) Could the Perkinator be fixing it again for Swindon? :coffee:
What's it all about?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 01:42:25 PM »
(N.B. Digital City UK, although it hasn't been trading, is still a going concern according to Companies House.) Could the Perkinator be fixing it again for Swindon? :coffee:

And how up to date are they with the fines T? 

Please note it is now 12 months since the Scrutiny Committee agreed there should be a working party to analyse what happened to the money and at last Council the Chairman advised that a report would be submitted "the end of the year"

Just how long does it take to agree a report?

and to think my Father said of me that I made procrastination a profession!! :coolsmiley:

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »
Digital City (UK) are 1 year and 1 month overdue with filing their accounts and 1 year and 2 months overdue filing their annual return. So I would say the fines would be about the same as last time. As it stands, the taxpayers will have to pay a standing fine for this company until someone has the wit to close it down.
What's it all about?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 05:45:14 PM »
Utter waste of money - have any of the decision makers ever tried to write an email or send a text from the seat of a moving bus?

Empty the feckin bins and repair the footpaths and cycle lanes first.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 06:38:42 PM »

Sent from a moving Vilocipede?
What's it all about?

Offline helen thompson

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 07:12:39 PM »
Geoff I use the oxford bus every Thursday and I e-mail people quite happily on a moving bus, I will admit that sometimes the Wi-Fi signal is weak but it does work well normaly ,I also  go to Taunton frequently and use my lap top on the train  which is a good signal.i do think that TT are years behind other towns for environmental things for example Oxford bus's are all green using electric and diesel why can TT not do the same

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 11:20:28 PM »

Sent from a moving Vilocipede?

Nope :)  I really didn't like the look of the forecast so I drove into work tonight.  DaMellon is chuffed though, he'll blag a lift home in the morning :)