Author Topic: Walcot and Shrivenham Road Area Parking Review  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
Walcot and Shrivenham Road Area Parking Review
« on: October 10, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »
Swindon Council has been working on a review of parking issues in and around Walcot and Shrivenham Road areas.  This has been driven by local concerns with the issues posed by people parking in the area.  This isn't necessarily all about match day parking, part of the issue raised relates to commuters using the roads as a source of free parking, parents dropping their kids off at St Joseph's and people generally parking too close to junctions.

An initial survey of residents was carried out and the finding have proven to be inconclusive so the Council is now taking this a step further and has published a number of options on their website and will be holding a public exhibition of the options in the Legends Room at the County Ground on the 21st October between 4pm and 7.30pm.  People will be able to submit a survey response in the hope that a preferred solution, or a number of solutions, can be identified.

The details of all of this can be seen here: http://www.swindon.gov.uk/CentralandEastLocalityParkingStudy  but residents in these areas can expect a leaflet/letter drop to make them aware of this.

At this stage, none of the options are budgetted, though costs have been identified for each.

I wanted to share this on TS as I think it's one of the best places to make sure people are aware of this review and to encourage constructive participation in the Council's process.

If any TS members live in these areas, or know people who do, can you please make them aware of this so that they can chose whether they wish to participate?

Offline Muggins

Re: Walcot and Shrivenham Road Area Parking Review
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 02:57:05 PM »
There was some excitement from certain officers, at one of our Penhill Meetings this week about them dropping some yellow lines over that neck of the woods.  I put the point to our meeting that if the community wanted to go that way, it would have to be done with utmost care, because some of us can remember why they were put in in the first place - to bring down accident numbers - they didn't cut them much, so traffic calming was put in and yellow lines reviewed. 

Each move has made the parking on grass verges worse.  Even in the parking provided by the traffic calming it has become worse due to cars being parked 2 wheels up.  I can't see that dropping yellow lines will make it better then EVERYONE will park two wheels up.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 11:49:35 PM »
Any scam scheme that SBC decide to utilise will more than likely become a "cash cow".
It is more likely to make parking difficult for the actual residents during the quieter times
Proud to be gone

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:57:11 AM »
When the council carry out consultations of this type, do they require the person answering the survey to give their address and do they use this information when considering responses?

I live near to the County Ground and whilst my street is used for match day parking, we don't get any problems at other times. The match day parking doesn't really bother me and I wouldn't want the permanent restriction of residents parking just because of 2 hours of match day traffic every fortnight. It can be inconvenient if I have visitors on match days, but if I am expecting anyone, I could always park on the road and save my driveway for the visitor.

For this reason, I would vote for no change in my street and I am sure that most of my neighbours would too. I would also have a vested interest in voting for no change in Walcot and Shrivenham Road, as any restrictions there might move the problem my way. Personally, I wouldn't want to influence the consultation in other areas based on these selfish reasons, but others might - hence my original question concerning the address of respondents.

Also, what stops the STFC fans who cause the parking problems from responding to the survey. Will residents comments take priority?

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 01:01:02 AM »
Further to my previous post, I note that Alligator says the initial survey of residents was inconclusive.

Could this be for the reasons I have stated, ie. those currently affected want change and those slightly further away don't. Was the area of the initial survey too wide?

Offline Alligator

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »
When the council carry out consultations of this type, do they require the person answering the survey to give their address and do they use this information when considering responses?

I live near to the County Ground and whilst my street is used for match day parking, we don't get any problems at other times. The match day parking doesn't really bother me and I wouldn't want the permanent restriction of residents parking just because of 2 hours of match day traffic every fortnight. It can be inconvenient if I have visitors on match days, but if I am expecting anyone, I could always park on the road and save my driveway for the visitor.

For this reason, I would vote for no change in my street and I am sure that most of my neighbours would too. I would also have a vested interest in voting for no change in Walcot and Shrivenham Road, as any restrictions there might move the problem my way. Personally, I wouldn't want to influence the consultation in other areas based on these selfish reasons, but others might - hence my original question concerning the address of respondents.

Also, what stops the STFC fans who cause the parking problems from responding to the survey. Will residents comments take priority?

I'm pretty much of the same view in terms of what I think is needed as my road which is also near to the County Ground, doesn't tend to have an issue when matches aren't on.   I'm also fairly sure that my neighbours think the same way.  In any event, I knew of, and considered, the football parking issue when I bought the house!

However this review is wider than just the football parking, there have been a number of local issues raised regarding school runs and commuter parking as well.

If anything I'm leaning towards a review of the locations of, and better enforcement of, the yellow lines.  That should not only stop the worst of the inconsiderate parking that occurs, but it has the potential to be self funding in terms of ticket revenues it raises.

My reason for trying to spread the word on this is that I believe the original survey was driven by some local residents with the help of local councillors, however I think it had the feel of being a little bit hit and miss in terms of who did/didn't receive it and I know a number of my neighbours didn't recall seeing it at all.

I also don't know if the council will require a certain threshold of responses, such as percentage of households responding, before considering the survey results to be valid. Consequently I think there's a risk of a small group of people who shout loudest being able to bulldoze through a solution that solves the specific issue in their immediate area but simply moves the issue further down the road.  This is why I am pleased that the review is attempting to capture all issues in all affected areas and I'd encourage as many residents as possible to review the options and respond to the survey.

I haven't completed the new survey yet as I haven't studied all the options in detail, but the first question does ask for a house number and road.  As this is only intended to be a survey of local residents, I'd hope any responses from anyone not living in the roads in question to be ignored.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 11:29:44 AM »
I think it was our ward which piloted the reviews.

Overall, we've come out of it OK - several pointless stretches of double yellows were completely removed and new bays painted. Some of the redundant temporary bays (originally pained for businesses which have long since gone) were also changed. Overall, it meant that pressure on on-street parking was massively reduced. In fact, I can't remember the last time I came home late and ended up having to park streets away (or, on a few occasions, illegally on double yellows as there was literally no where else to go within a two mile radius)

Things to watch for -

- Making sure temporary bays outside of shops, surgeries etc. are kept
- That there's no ambiguity over things like dropped kerbs (or old dropped curbs for driveways now defunct etc)
- That the signage is accurate!

Good luck
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Alligator

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 03:24:33 PM »
Thanks Tobes,

Did your experience involve resident surveys? if so, was there anything set in terms of validity?  I'm thinking of possible issues like:

overall response rates being high enough to be considered representative of the views of the people?
checking that each household is counted once and that they can't submit multiple responses. 
Was it possible that people outside the area responded?

Cheers
A

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »
A series of proposals were made via the local ward councillor's news letter - and these were based upon discussions conducted by residents involved with local social/pressure groups (Back Garden was one I know was consulted, where else but in the local pub! - which also helped spread local awareness).

Comments and suggestions were invited - IIRC, there was a form on the newsletter (hand delivered within the ward only) which people could fill in with their views.

Notifications were also posted up on lamp-posts in the area - but all of the above stressed that there would be a trial period, and the final changes could be 'fine tuned' in response to what was learned.

The only real contentions I can remember was that reducing the temporary bays put more pressure on residents temporary visitors permits, and a few people were unhappy with that. There were also (as usual) a number of people who don't read leaflets or use social media, speak to neighbours or spot notices who had felt disenfranchised, but tbh, I cannot think of any practical way any wider communication could realistically have been conducted.

So, whilst there wasn't a 'mandate' in terms of the volume of response, the issue was hardly the contentious sort of thing which was likely to require it: Obviously, there's no pleasing all of the people all of the time, but the general concencus has been that the changes proposed and put in place within the ward have definitely helped the majority of residents. It certainly wasn't conducted as a local referendum. I guess 'protection' such as it was stemmed from the hand-delivered nature of the forms and the requirement for people commenting to put their names and addresses on them. Responses weren't so voluminous that any obvious duplications wouldn't have been pretty obvious!

Oh, another thing worth noting and which might really help make sure that things are conducted on the level - we noted that individual streets might have very individual issues, so I'd suggest that they try and take that into consideration; ie - one street might have parking volume issues, another might have obsolete restrictions relating to old wiating bays, whilst another might absolutely require them (as did, for example Cross Street for the doctors surgery and the Cross Street Garage). Keeping the review down to a street level also helps the residents engage and think about their specific problems and whether the proposed changes will help or hinder.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Alligator

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 04:04:03 PM »
Thanks Tobes,

I think the review recognises that there may be very local issues on a road by road basis but I'm hoping it's found a balance with the need to avoid addressing all of the issues too locally or in isolation of other solutions, which may result in moving problems around the neighbourhood.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2013, 04:08:21 PM »
Getting your ward coucillors to be available to all comments and to discuss things i a 'round table' would be a good thing - as well as getting them to commit to a trial period, so if anything unforeseen does happen, there'll still be scope to put things right.

:thumb:

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »
I received a letter addressed to the Home Owner / Occupier today.

The letter invites me to attend an exhibition at the County Ground on 21st October. It also includes a link to Surveymonkey. The survey requires a house number and address to be entered, but there is nothing stop anyone from outside the area from using someone else's address. A STFC fan keen to protect their free parking could enter a response from every address in the area if they wanted to.

Offline Alligator

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 11:33:39 AM »
Don't forget the exhibition for this is taking place today in the Legends Room at the County Ground 4pm-7.30pm  :thumb: