Author Topic: 26th September 2013 Swindon Borough Council Meeting - Video  (Read 11895 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
26th September 2013 Swindon Borough Council Meeting - Video
« on: October 08, 2013, 12:13:38 AM »
Swindon Borough Council Meeting 26th September 2013

These supporting documents are available for download from the SBC website:

To easily find a particular point of interest please note that each agenda item is preceded by a time in brackets, e.g: [20:30:31], and that each video shows a time stamp in the bottom right hand corner.  This is the time the recording was taken at the meeting and the agenda items below are annotated with these times to facilitate finding points of interest in the video.

Please ignore the Youtube video time for referencing purposes

Quality Available: 240, 360, 480, 720p HD, 1080p HD

Q: 'Can I download it?' - Yes, click the 'view on youtube' link and download from there.

Duration 2 hours 49 minutes

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/AeckzOoUmbs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/AeckzOoUmbs</a>

1. [19:08:50] Apologies for Absence

2. [19:09:03] Communications: To receive any communications or letters which the Mayor or Chief Executive may have to bring before the Council.

3. [19:09:13] Minutes - To receive the minutes of the previous meeting held on 11th April 2013.

4. [19:09:49] Declarations of Interest: Members are reminded that at the start of the meeting they should declare any known interests in any matter to be considered, and also during the meeting if it becomes apparent that they have an interest in the matters being discussed.

5. [19:18:27] Public Question Time

6. [19:33:20] Minutes For Confirmation

View the background to item 6.

(1) To consider Minutes for Confirmation from Cabinet:

Minute 27(2) – Swindon Borough Council Tenancy Strategy
Minute 47 – Local Government Ombudsman Review 2013..

(2) To consider Minutes for Confirmation from Licensing Committee:

Minute 17(5) – The Establishment of Street Markets in Swindon Town Centre.

To consider Minutes for Confirmation arising from the meeting of the Licensing Committee held on 23rd September 2013.  (Minutes to follow under separate cover.)

Additional documents:

SBC Council Housing Tenancy Strategy, 24/07/2013 Cabinet

Appendix 1 - Swindon Borough Council Housing Tenancy Strategy, 24/07/2013 Cabinet

Local Government Ombudsman Review 2013, 11/09/2013 Cabinet

Appediix 1 - LGO Annual Review Letter 2013, 11/09/2013 Cabinet

Licensing committee report on reviewing street trading in Swindon Town Centre july 2013 policy, 01/08/2013 Licensing Committee

Street markets Policy Ver 5 (2), 01/08/2013 Licensing Committee

Appendix B - Fees

There are a further 4 documents. View the full list of documents for item 6.

7. [19:44:49] Motions

7a

Motion - Affordable Council Tax

Councillor Mike Bawden will move and Councillor Michael Dickinson will second:

This Council notes and welcomes the decision of residents of Haydon Wick to elect Oliver Donachie, and the positive vision he offered residents based on the Administration’s sound financial policies and record of improving and changing services without affecting the frontline delivery to residents.

Locally this Council welcomes the ongoing improvements to services, town centre regeneration and fair and affordable Council tax.  Nationally, this Council welcomes the fall in unemployment, projected economic growth and the willingness of the Coalition Government to tackle important issues such as welfare reform.

This Council requests that the Leader of the Council continues to take all steps to ensure that this Administration continues its record of protecting the vulnerable and providing for fair and affordable Council tax.

7b

Motion - Economic Development

Councillor Peter Heaton-Jones will move and Councillor Emma Faramarzi will second:

This Council congratulates the Cabinet Member for Public Protection, Housing and Streetsmart on the completion of the new elderly person’s dwellings on Fleming Way.  Council also congratulates the Cabinet Member for the Economy, Regeneration and Culture on the new town centre car park and the work on the old College site.

Council notes that both the projects are examples of how the Central Area Action Plan, the formal planning policy approved by Council in 2009 is being delivered.

Council invites the Cabinet Member for the Economy, Regeneration and Culture to report back to Cabinet and Council as soon as practicable on the work being undertaken to promote the town centre. He is also requested to report on the mitigation that this Council will have to take in the light of a private and confidential report containing sensitive commercial information being in the public domain and how this might deter investors?

This Council asks the Leader of the Council, along with the Leaders of the Opposition and Minority Groups, to sign a letter to Kimmerfields apologising for any damage caused by the leak of sensitive commercial information and stating their continued commitment to the Central Area Action Plan and the redevelopment of the town centre.

7c

Motion - Trade Unions

Councillor Toby Elliott will move and Councillor Oliver Donachie will second:

The Council notes and welcomes the Labour Leader, Ed Miliband’s, commitment in respect of reforming the relationship between trade union funding and the Labour Party.  This Council notes and supports the right of employees to belong to unions and the valuable role that Trades Unions can play.

This Council notes that a consequence of his principled stand, Mr Miliband has been criticised by numerous politicians within his own Party.

This Council invites the leaders of all political Party Groups in Swindon to write to Mr Miliband to encourage him to continue his reforms.

7d

Motion - Pot Holes

Councillor Julian Price will move and Councillor Jim Grant:

“This Council:

Recognises that due to ever changing conditions in the weather and population growth, the standard of roads in Swindon has reduced which in turn has increased the number of potholes in the town.

Notes an AA survey taken this year which shows that 33% of motorists in the South-West have had their vehicle damaged by potholes in the last two years.

Believes that resurfacing more of the Borough’s roads will reduce the rapid increase in the number of potholes arising on Swindon’s roads and could lead to a reduced cost for the Council of fixing potholes in the future.

Believes that more capital funding could be allocated to resurfacing Swindon’s roads from future New Homes Bonus funding and thinks such a move would have a positive effect in reducing the number of potholes arising on roads in the Borough.

Council requests:

The Board Director, Resources to submit an action plan to Cabinet on how the Council could use future New Homes Bonus funding for the purposes of funding further road resurfacing

The Cabinet to take note of Council’s wishes when forming its proposals for the Council’s 2014/15 budget and Capital Programme.”

7e

Motion - Adopted Lands

Councillor Nadine Watts will move and Councillor Des Moffatt will second:

“This Council:

Notes with regret that residents living in the Angel Ridge estate as with other new areas of the borough, have been left confused by Swindon Council over the ownership of a plot of land in their neighbourhood.

Notes that since 2010 the Council’s grounds maintenance contractor had been maintaining gardens between Mistletoe and Rowan Courts in Angel Ridge, yet in recent months the management company of the aforementioned apartment blocks have maintained the gardens and have informed its apartment owners that they will bill them for the work.

Is concerned that the Council has either been maintaining grounds that it does not own or that a property management company have been maintaining gardens on Council land and charging the apartment owners for the work. 

Affirms its commitment to properly identify and address land that has undesignated ownership at the earliest possible opportunity.

This Council therefore resolves to establish a Cross-party working group to look at and make recommendations to Cabinet on how the Council can more quickly identify and address land that has undesignated ownership within the borough, therefore making it clearer for local residents on land ownership. 

This working group is also requested to report to Cabinet on whether there are any actions the Council can take to better protect residents living in new developments from being exploited due to uncertainty over land ownership.”

7f

Motion - Thames Water

Mark Dempsey will move and Julian Price will second:

“This Council notes that Thames Water posted £549m in profits last year and increased water charges of more than 5%, at a time when both Swindon businesses and residential customers are struggling to pay all bills not just water costs.

Council therefore opposes the idea of Thames Water surcharging all businesses and domestic customers £29 to pay for new Thames Water initiatives and instructs the Chief Executive to write to the Ofwat Regulator to inform them of Council’s opposition to this unfair surcharge.”

7g

Motion - Forward Swindon

Kevin Small will move and Des Moffatt will second:

“This Council condemns Forward Swindon Limited’s support for the establishment of a scrap wood burning Planet on the Cheney Manor Industrial Estate.

This Council demands that the Forward Swindon withdraws its support for this project immediately.”

8. [22:12:32] Appointments to Committees and Other Bodies

To consider changes to Member representation on certain Council Committees and other bodies. Changes to representations requested by Political Groups will be tabled at the meeting.

9. [22:13:45] Scrutiny Committee Annual Report

Additional documents: Draft Scrutiny Report - Appendix

10. [22:22:46]    

Minutes of Cabinet and Decisions Delegated to Cabinet Members

Additional documents: Minutes Public Pack - 11/09/2013 Cabinet

Cabinet Decisions

11. [22:43:16]Minutes of other Council Bodies

Members have the opportunity to raise questions with the relevant Chair in respect of all other Committee minutes (not reserved to Council for decision), as set out in the Minute Book circulated separately.

12. [22:45:17] Councillors Question Time - Questions (if any) of which notice has been given by Councillors in accordance with Standing Order 15.

Camera: Richard Symonds

Editing: Me
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:48:21 AM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: 26th September 2013 Swindon Borough Council Meeting - Video
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »

Still uploading:

Uploading your video. 279 minutes remaining. Your video will be live at: http://youtu.be/AeckzOoUmbs

Should be available to watch on the above link sometime later tonight. (well after I've ridden to work)

I'll clean this posting up tomorrow and add the usual supporting gubbins.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 10:05:56 PM »
I think most of us will wait until you have completely finished Geoff, so do not compromise on your usual very high standard of work please!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:49:08 AM »
I think most of us will wait until you have completely finished Geoff, so do not compromise on your usual very high standard of work please!

Done.

Would readers please let me know if they spot any glaring errors. :)

Readers interested solely in the biggest angry bit click here: http://youtu.be/AeckzOoUmbs?t=1h23m

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 08:56:15 AM »
Watched the angry bit....that's all I've time for at present.  It does seem it was half a dozen of one and 6 of the other, but there was definitely a starting point.  I was shocked at the Mayor (in the Mayors robes/position) shouting and not being able to contain himself, I got the feeling that he was expecting something to happen and worked himself up to it.  And behaving that way in front of the officers and public.

The most remarkable thing and the Mayor, Our Gav etc. on the back row could not have seen, that the only one in the row in front of them not hanging their heads in embarrassment, was Dale Heenan - who was upright, chest out and smirking the entire time.  However those facing them could see it and must have been provoked by it.  I suppose we can count ourselves lucky that only one appeared to join in the slanging match.

I watched a little of the debate - not really a debate - just 'superiority' fest that went on when Labour were absent and it really did not seem to be something that was pertinent to Swindon, but just an opportunity to take a pop at the opposition a sort of party political speech all of  their own. Is there still a loudspeaker elsewhere, where other outside the chamber can listen?

If the public gallery was full, Richard how was this received? Was there a lot of knowing nodding going/agreeing with what they were saying? Or tutting?

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »
As ever Geoff has published a good concise account of a meeting. This is probably easier to follow than if you just walked in off the street into a council meeting. It takes time and effort to understand what is going on in a meeting. The camera work is reliable thanks to Richard. There is now a presumption of openness in council meetings due to Mr Pickles initiative. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2012/2089/made

The guardian carries this article today about head to head view points from councillors.  http://www.theguardian.com/local-government-network/2013/oct/09/residents-freedom-film-council-meetings-eric-pickles

I am in favour of recordings and with the quality Geoff publishes, then in my opinion Pickles is right to say that Citizen Reporters should be allowed to video, tweet, blog, report and publish council meetings.

As a councillor can I thank Geoff for his efforts to date in publishing meetings, and to get them to a standard that can be followed and understood is commendable.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 10:20:20 AM »
So, anyone's opnions changed by what they have seen?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Brian V Cockbill

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 10:30:48 AM »
Hear, Hear Steve.    I think both Geoff and Richard ought to receive some public recognition of their efforts to make the workings of our 'City Fathers' available to the people unable or willing to attend meetings.
Brian V Cockbill

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 11:08:13 AM »
Hear, Hear Steve.    I think both Geoff and Richard ought to receive some public recognition of their efforts to make the workings of our 'City Fathers' available to the people unable or willing to attend meetings.
Brian V Cockbill

Indeed, in my opinion a sterling effort and I believe it would not be all that difficult for Mr Pickles to recognise that effort, and write to both of them thanking them for delivering his desire for Citizen Reporters to publish council meetings.

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 11:21:23 AM »
Yes, I also add my thanks to Geoff and Richard, but can't see them getting any Pride of Swindon awards, can you?? 

The question is - would you want one guys?

A nice pecuniary :wink: award towards communication and citizen engagement wouldn't go amiss though, aye!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
I have begun to watch the material... dear god..

Methinks it may be unwise to be overly distracted by the twits and the tweets and temper tantrums and the superciliousness.

The underlying behaviours being exhibited are instructive.

As to the attention span of those caught on camera...

Kareen

P.S. thanks to Geoff and Richard for services to the public of Swindon.
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »
Methinks it may be unwise to be overly distracted by the twits and the tweets and temper tantrums and the superciliousness.

To put Cllr Heenan's twittering into perspective: He tweets to an even smaller audience than my own and his tweets are usually re-tweets of another twitterers twittering or intended to bitch slap those opposition members who follow/observe him.  His in-chamber gurning at the opposition benches is simply the corporeal manifestation of the same infantile yah-boo-sucks-to-you attitude he broadcasts at 'the enemy'.

To some extent Cllr Heenan thrives, (as Margaret Thatcher put it), 'On the oxygen of publicity' although I'm not sure how long he will thrive in an overly oxygenated environment if he receives too much publicity.  Opposition members ought to learn to resist the initial baiting, control their instinct to immediately respond and think and work smarter.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »

Thanks for the kind and supportive comments.  I think both Richard and I regard our time doing this as an investment in a better Swindon. :)

Offline Des Moffatt

• Hello !
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »
I was most informed by the debate I was excluded from. Thanks Geoff.
The named vote was quite infantile but it did inform us that the Liberals voted against.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Re: 26th September 2013 Swindon Borough Council Meeting - Video
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
I was most informed by the debate I was excluded from. Thanks Geoff.
The named vote was quite infantile but it did inform us that the Liberals voted against.

I think you're being overly generous describing it as a debate Des :)

I note that even the Deputy Mayor eventually sickened of the Dickinson, Donachie & Elliot circle-jerk and interrupted one of them to announce she was leaving the chamber. Her final glare at the speaker was quite telling i thought.

While I was listening to union funding of the Labour party being denigrated by Bluhligans - The Next generation, I couldn't help thinking of the Billionaire ex-domiciled non-payer of UK tax who pumped millions into the Tory party 'war chest' for the 2010 election....and wondering by how much the Tory campaigns in Swindon benefited from his funding.

It's easy to drag National politics into a local council chamber but, like inviting Nosferatu into your gaff, once inside blood will be spilt. 

I doubt any of them really thought this through when they were giving each other boners at the thought of 'sticking it' to labour.

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

ph1lc

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 06:53:47 PM »
Opposition members ought to learn to resist the initial baiting, control their instinct to immediately respond and think and work smarter.

Spot on there Geoff. I'm afraid Kevin Small is a liability.

The Mayor is frankly not fit to hold that office - but we all knew that anyway. His behaviour in other arenas has proved that beyond doubt.

Offline carole bent

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 06:59:45 PM »
Thank you Geoff Reid & Richard - don't know when you began to do it,  but seems to be one of the few ways currently to  have an accurate record of meetings. Must have taken a lot of your time to do this.

A few things crossed my mind watching this :

1) The Mayor welcomed everyone warmly , then added  " Its good to see the public gallery so well stocked "

May want to rethink that .... "Well stocked" usually refers to product ( eg beans on a supermarket shelf )  rather than people.

2) After the outburst, Cllr Grant asked for sufficient time to be given to review serious amendments as they only  received theirs at 7pm.  Seems a totally valid point.
Who provides the information ? Didn't something happen like this at scrutiny a couple of weeks ago - I heard something about councillors being expected to sign off on minutes they hadn't even had time to read & that Cllrs Bennett ( con) & Small ( labour) acted  to avert this ?

3) Cllr Bawden' s said that "  the people of Swindon are quite happy and quite content with this administration. " Really ?
He also encouraged the labour members to " listen " to local people . Hmmm. seems a bit of a mismatch here. 

4) As for the outbursts ? If all Councillors felt confident in the quality of the minutes - maybe there wouldn't have been the need to invoke points of order - not surprised that Cllr Small was frustrated as he knows the system better than most.

5) Watching this from the comfort of my home reminded me of the many hours councillors spend in hot rooms so fair play for the time they spend ..... so here's some constructive input ....

Less time spent tweeting , swigging water, checking IPads and playing politics would mean more time to focus on the content and outcome from the meetings & more time back home with friends and family.

The successful spanish retailer Zara held meetings standing up to save time and to keep people focussed rather than comfy and snoozing.  Wouldn't work here , but maybe some changes would.

A starter for 10..... how about ...
a) Starting with banning mobiles and IPads from the chamber for the duration of the full council meetings.
b) Mixing up the members so that labour, conservatives & the lib dems aren't sat in blocks - but mixed.
c) Inviting a random member of the public  to sit at the front next to the mayor to see what its like from there & 3 councillors ( 1 from each party ) to sit with members of the public in the gallery for the same reason.

Be interesting to see how that would change the dynamic of the meeting - might even make it more productive.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:34:26 PM by carole bent »

Offline Tea Boy

• Tea's up!, Kettle's on
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 10:53:01 PM »
hmmm bit of an eye opener...

would anyone vote for the Mayor after seeing this performance and his gaff ridden tenure?

other than that it was a bit of a pure pantomime with the only real losers being Joe public who sat through it.

Having said that, was the whole trade union motion an initiation test for Cllr Olive? A sort of second the overtly political motion to prove his credentials. A first blood to Olly sort of thing positioning with in his own party. Perhaps Cllr Heenan attack dog? much easier to load the 'gun' for others to fire and then retreat a safe distance to tweet about it. Don't think they could have been expecting the video camera as he and Cllr Elloit come over as gurning, smirking and a little slimy.. or is that just me.

Agree with others that there seems to be far too much fiddling with IT going on.

On another issue Motion 7e

and to sub quote
This Council therefore resolves to establish a Cross-party working group to look at and make recommendations to Cabinet on how the Council can more quickly identify and address land that has undesignated ownership within the borough, therefore making it clearer for local residents on land ownership. 

This working group is also requested to report to Cabinet on whether there are any actions the Council can take to better protect residents living in new developments from being exploited due to uncertainty over land ownership.”

Easy.. don't make redundant the person who until three years ago used to do this as his job on behalf of the ex-parks dept. The reason its got SO bad across the whole town  is that no one is doing any longer!!! :bash: :bash: :bash:

Sorry my normal rant at such bollocks is over. THIS sort of thing is going to keep happening now you've sacked those staff who were so say 'not necessary'. Get used to it SBC you closed down the department, you sacked the staff and now the problems got to such proportions it's got to be debated rather than just sorted.
Gardening tips: Always remember its brown side down, green side up.  If its knocking now it'll only go bang later

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 11:53:02 PM »
So, anyone's opnions changed by what they have seen?

Not mine.

I still believe the majority of Swindon Borough Council (all parties) are too incompetent and corrupt to represent the town of Swindon

Does anyone seriously believe that the residents of Swindon care for the "Plastic Westminster" nonsense that occupied most of that meeting?

Even if we are optimistic/naive enough to believe that Dale Heenan's tweet was misinterpreted, I hardly think Michael Dickinson's comment (at 1:14) could be interpreted as anything other than superfluous political garbage.

Been a long time since the labour group stormed out
about twelve years ... twelve and a half years

or was that just Michael Dickinson misleading his own Plastic Westminster comrades

if only a tenth of that political wind-bagging effort could be utilised into matters that should concern our local councillors Swindon could return to being a town worthy of some civic pride (as it used to be).

Maybe then there would be cross party agreement to actually give a stuff about things that they should all mostly agree on

Protecting the landscape of Coate and the vista of the country park?

Making sure that developers provide roads (at THERE expense  not Swindon taxpayers) when they build more sprawl around Swindon?

Not bullying small businesses such as flower sellers which most people seemed to have no issues with?

Preserving the few remaining historic buildings?

Protecting the remnants of our heritage?

Making sure the speedway stadium is not lost forever on a broken promise (from a developer ?) to build it elsewhere when the land is sold off for more sprawl?

Not altering road junctions, at great expense, to make travelling around the town centre a pointless ordeal?

All councillors who feel that national politics and  their political colours are more important than respecting the views and issues of residents of Swindon should be immersed into a vat of paint of the same colour and tied to a post till they're dry

Continuing to "debate" and vote with half the councillors absent is farcical to the extreme.

As has already been stated, they should not be tweeting, texting, or playing with any other form of distraction whilst failing to represent the Swindon electorate

One anonymous councillor has even offered to "help me move" out of Swindon
That particular moron knows full well who I am and therefore where I live so any time he wants to "help" he should just pop round.
Perhaps I'll give him some incredible "help".

(I'm getting decent estimates on my house now and (despite work being very busy) it will be finished very soon so should be a happy new year.)

I'll still pester the Adver troll and will return to support and take part in the community events that I always have done

Any worthy councillor would of course be more concerned with reasons as to why a born & bred citizen has lost affection for his birthplace.

Any worthy councillor would be more concerned about losing an active member of the community

The video assures me of my choices and my feelings for the (lack of) future for Swindon

SBC are not fit for purpose and are a drain on our taxes

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:40:42 AM by I Could Do That »
Proud to be gone

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 08:36:00 AM »
Can I say I thought the video quality and editing/presentation was very good it being easy to follow with annotations. Thank you Geoff and Richard.  :clap:
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!