Author Topic: Have Your Say On School Places - Public Consultation Finishes Fri 22nd Nov 2013  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Today, Emma Lidiard of the Swindon Advertiser reports:

"PARENTS, headteachers and residents are being asked to take part in council-led consultation which hopes to tackle the town’s growing crisis in places for secondary school.

It is estimated that an extra 150 secondary school places will be needed in Swindon in the next five years which has sparked a council consultation into now this can best be achieved.

In the past six years the council has created 676 new primary school places to combat the borough’s growing population. This has seen eight new schools and eleven extensions taking place across the area.

However, if nothing is done, the number of secondary school places available for children currently at primary schools will fall short by 150, or five forms of entry, across the borough by 2018. That will rise to 27 forms of entry, or 810 places, by the middle of the following decade. "

Full Story here: http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10719677.Have_a_say_on_school_places/

The Adver also reports that:  "the authority is keen to canvass views on the extent to which pupils should be transported around the borough to use up all surplus places, and if new schools were to be proposed, the community’s view on whether these should be free schools The parents of all children known to be entering secondary school after 2018 will receive a letter inviting them to take part, and headteachers of all current secondary schools in the town are also being fully consulted"

I believe [below] this to be a copy of that letter*:

Click thumbnail to view PDF

*Many thanks to the TS member who took the time to send me a copy for publication on TS :)

Swindon Borough Council Secondary School Places Consultation Webpage:   http://www.swindon.gov.uk/secondaryplaces

Swindon Borough Council Secondary School Places Consultation Document:   http://www.swindon.gov.uk/cd/Council%20and%20Democracy%20Document%20Library/Information%20-%20Secondary%20School%20Places%20Consultation.pdf

A quick glance through the figures contained within the consultation document appear to suggest that had the council is now using very different figures for the construction and operating costs of new schools than it previously used to justify building the Croft School.

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
Can't quite figure our why this should be a 'crisis' when pupil numbers and house building plans are clear.

It is however a good thing that the public are being consulted and it is to be hoped that the answer has not already been determined.

It is to be wondered whether any consultation would have taken place if the Croft experience had not happened.

It is all within the bailiwick of Cllr Foley, let's see how it follows through....

As to costings, not a mention of the Class Solution behemoth or the silly protestations on costs, says it all methinks...
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
Also looking forward to reading about the plan for the 2014 North Swindon Primary School...

Goodness, what a busy time for the lead member!

Kareen
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
The local plan may have to squeeze in a few more houses but as its all forecast planning the the schools should be there in time.  Pray tell does just in time planning a common process in the private sector not apply to councils  :-\
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

JustLoseLover

Arrghh I don't understand this trend at all

Offline Minzerrezz

• Hello !
I read it and felt that it was very useful too. Knowledge is very good yet.