Author Topic: Oh Look, I'm over budget  (Read 4912 times)

Offline Weebleman

Re: Oh Look, I'm over budget
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 08:48:41 PM »
A lot of people really need to wake up to the realities.
Although I agree with much of your argument Tobes, the 'reality' of the situation is that there is absolutely no benefit to be gained for the populace of Swindon (or the plant operators that I can see) by building it on the proposed site, whereas there is benefit to be gained by building it in a more remote location.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »
On an island the size of the UK?

Where exactly? I doubt you could find anywhere in the UK further than two miles from habitation.

What you mean is of course in someone else's back yard...

... careful, lest your words echo those of a tory MP who thought fracking was acceptable in the 'remote North East'  !!

The reality is that Cheney Manor is an industrial site - a place ear-marked for exactly this kind of development. The reality is that someone could potentially and legally build a far more harmful plant from an environmental point of view, but see a fraction of the resistance raised to this, just as long as it didn't involve the phrases 'burning' or 'chimney'.  :(

The other bit of plain logic being missed by everyone is that if you are really worried about smoke and particulates,  and didn't trust regulation regarding emissions, the very safest place to be is actually close to the 30 meter chimney venting it, isn't it? Remember the days of dirty coal power stations? It was the Norwegians who were copping our smoke...

I think this was a huge missed opportunity - and one which saw a lot of people mislead by propaganda, opportunist political interference and irrational fear rather than science, context and calm reflection.  :-\
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »
"The reality is that Cheney Manor is an industrial site"

No the reality is that it WAS an industrial estate, by that I mean is well past it's glory  years.  And when it built and planned as such, it was not in the middle of Swindon, although the GWR was still up and running, there was open countryside on the other side of the railway line. 

Most of the factories that went in there were LIGHT industry.  There was never heavier industry. 

Triumph, Louis London, Metal box,  Plessey. etc etc. Not wanting to put all the jobs eggs in one basket. i.e. depending on one industry (GWR)  and providing a variety of jobs for incomers during overspill etc.

When the borough depot moved there it was from a site better placed off the dual carriageway on the other side of the railway line.  In fact when Cheney Manor was built there was no dual carriageway!  A reminder that the depot moved to allow B&Q to take the land - off the dual carriageway - a move not only to be more visible but to aid traffic flow no doubt, thinking that B&Q would have more and bigger lorries for deliveries.   

The Planning app now is for something totally different concept from anything that's been there before. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)