Author Topic: Your Leisure is going to be put outside the council - what does it mean to you?  (Read 7177 times)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
It does make me wonder if everyone pays their council tax.

All I see in Swindon is more houses being built. The owners of each one of those houses is supposed to be paying council tax for ten months of the year, so the council gets a growing amount of money each year.

Council tax revenue is going up, but money from central government grants is going down. Also the cost of adult social care is going up.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
Unfortunately business rates are out of the control of SBC, they're set by some government agency based on the value of the property.  Currently council only get 50% and is it's not until 2020 that councils will able to keep 100% of the business rates income (assuming Osborne's plans haven't been changed/scraped).  However, I expect the government will cut the amount of money it gives the council as a result.

Swindon suffers because it's in commuting distance of Bristol/Bath, Oxford, Reading and London so property prices and hence business rates are too high for a town like Swindon.  If Swindon was in the north somewhere there is no way property prices would be as expensive.