Author Topic: More Flat More Parking Scam  (Read 6389 times)

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
More Flat More Parking Scam
« on: September 18, 2013, 11:53:46 PM »
So now the former 12Bar is to be converted into 11 flats

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10680537.12_Bar_pub_in_Swindon_to_be_turned_into_flats/

With existing appalling parking for the residents in this area and a residents parking  scheme scam in operation.

This development will blatantly cause misery for nearby residents.

There are no additional parking areas or clauses for the developers yet the plans are approved?

Are SBC so toothless/useless/corrupt that this development just gets waved through

What is the point of SBC?

Does SBC exist purely as a drain on taxes and to bug the crap out of it's town-folk?  :bash:

(Perhaps the pseudonym councillor that always begins the reader comments section by calling all objectors nimbys would gain more respect by declaring his name and interests )

Proud to be gone

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: More Flat More Parking Scam
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:35:32 PM »
So much fishy stuff seems to go on with planning and licensing that its difficult if not impossible to believe that the people who sit on these panels have the requisite level of intellect or interest in the town to justify the extra committee allowances they draw.

I had hoped the moratorium I argued for in eastcott had been extended elsewhere - that any HMO type developments could effectively be countered by refusing extra parking permits. It gets around the age-old excuse that developers can't be blocked by planning; all it takes is for planning to use their goddam brains for a change and work in conjunction with the rest of the council. A property without residents permits and therefore parking for residents will have a much lower rentable value - that in itself is a huge bargaining chip by which planning can negotiate with developers to ensure they provide as much off-road parking provision as possible. THAT not only represents the interests of the nearby residents but it also helps show any naive new tenants due to move in that parking will be nigh on impossible.

That nobody within the council has got to grips with this simple and obvious planning time-bomb ought to be shocking. But it comes after a litany of mistakes and bodge-jobs as they scrabble to prostate themselves to anyone promising to build anything. Its a real civic shame which continues to convert the town into the cheapest housing dumping ground in the west. What a low aspiration for us all.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:05:16 PM by Tobes »
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 06:36:19 PM »
Is that the old Ship Inn?

My first thought what's the problem they won't be putting more than two flats in, then saw that it will be commercial premises and 11 bedsits, sounds more like a doss house to me. Maybe the occupiers won't be able to afford wheeled transport. 

Commercial premises, 11 rooms?  Have they legalised brothels?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 07:30:49 PM »
No, it sounds remarkably similar to what was proposed for the old Bell pub  - may even be the same developer! Its just an easy way to milk the maximum money out of a property. The 12 Bar was pretty big. Dorma windows up in the roof space, use all existing berooms and some of the downstairs too - yeah, I reckon 11 could be shoe-horned in. They'll be little rabbit hutches - but completely in line with what's been going on around town for ages. There sued to be a second hand clothing shop at the top of Prospect Hill - just an ordinary 3 bedrooms over a shop. They managed to turn that into six flatlets - and for a while, due to the ten cars the new residents brought, parking in the local area became a complete lottery (and SBC wardens made a killing!).
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »
Is it not haunted?. I think a barmaid was murdered there many years ago.
Bobby

Online Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 08:10:08 PM »
Are SBC so toothless/useless/corrupt that this development just gets waved through

Waved through? Pushed through more like.

According to the adver article - 'once the property has reached full occupancy the developers must pay 15 per cent profits to the council as part of a section 106 agreement.'

No fixed amount of Section 106 money with a specific aim. Just a good old fashioned bribe.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:50:04 PM »
Is that the old Ship Inn?

My first thought what's the problem they won't be putting more than two flats in, then saw that it will be commercial premises and 11 bedsits, sounds more like a doss house to me. Maybe the occupiers won't be able to afford wheeled transport. 

Commercial premises, 11 rooms?  Have they legalised brothels?

Doss house?  Yeah that sounds about right.

I doubt SBC care if a slumlord proposes something they probably only care about how much council tax and residents parking money they're going to get.

Have a look at the wikipedia entry for bedsit  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedsit  most european countries (other than former communist countries I guess) don't even seem to have an equivalent term.  Frankly it's times like these I'd like Brussels to have more power because I think they give more of a  :censored: about the average Brit than the  :censored: in Westminster.  >:(

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 08:43:43 AM »

Waved through? Pushed through more like.

According to the adver article - 'once the property has reached full occupancy the developers must pay 15 per cent profits to the council as part of a section 106 agreement.'

No fixed amount of Section 106 money with a specific aim. Just a good old fashioned bribe.

Has that been done before?  Taking a cut in the income, and for how long does that last. Could it be that they need bedsits to reduce the Housing queue, and in effect will find the tenants of the bedsits for the landlord? that might be a bigger incentive to pass the planning permission. 

Tobes:  I did know the Ship Inn quite well but a long time back, it was a pub of choice for younger people in the 60's. Very little drunken-ness but not so tame as the Wimpy Café. Remember being invited into the private living room to watch Peyton Place, me and half the young women there at the time. We walked or took the bus in them days.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 09:56:21 AM »
That makes it sound like a place to dump all the dregs of society so they can relax in Faringdon Rd park after a spot of shed looting  :(
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 12:34:55 PM »
Com come IC, you know that people in crisis,isn,t just down to trpping their fingers in the garage door.

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »
And yet still acres and acres of empty industrial estate properties are neglected and empty and could  easily be developed into spacious and comfortable housing- seen Dorcan lately?  :bash: ( How many years have I been saying this now?)  ???

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 06:27:27 PM »
Tobes:  I did know the Ship Inn quite well but a long time back, it was a pub of choice for younger people in the 60's. Very little drunken-ness but not so tame as the Wimpy Café. Remember being invited into the private living room to watch Peyton Place, me and half the young women there at the time. We walked or took the bus in them days.

Isn't it a shame when buildings with history and happy memories become demeaned?

Don't get me wrong, I'd certainly see the place used for something rather than demolished - but I can't help thinking that yet more tiny flats are going to help the area. I know they're being built because its all a lot of people can afford (or, more accurately perhaps, which will turn over a higher profit if rented out to DSS by the landlord) - but that end of town struggles so much with access to parking and facilities that I can't help think that this kind of 'progress' in terms of planning isn't actually starting to recreate a lot of the problems caused by tiny tenements in the past. A functioning community requires balance.   :-\

And yet still acres and acres of empty industrial estate properties are neglected and empty and could  easily be developed into spacious and comfortable housing- seen Dorcan lately?  :bash: ( How many years have I been saying this now?)

Now some CP'ing and some building by SBC on that land WOULD be something I would agree with them doing! I wonder why no private investor has made a move on that land yet? Unreasonable asking price, holding out for the market to pick up - or problems with the land making it uneconomic to do it...?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 06:30:21 PM »
There you go.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/average-home-sizes-around-the-151738

Simply conforming to a trend, trend is a bit like vibrant.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »
I expect you saw the bit about the Park and Ride, in the Adver and the suggestion from a resident that it could be a dog park - daft idea and dangerous, or a skateboard park, daft idea too and even more dangerous.  Not only that we have 200 acres plus of open space on the other side of the estate for dog walking and a skateboard park is in our community plan on that site too. If you walked from one site to the other it would take you less than 10 minutes.

I can fairly well predict it is never going to be a park and ride again, - that which was on the outskirts of town is now not! 

We have suggested that it is used for housing and as quickly as possible, I don't think we'd mind flats either.

Online Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 06:39:46 PM »
We have suggested that it is used for housing and as quickly as possible, I don't think we'd mind flats either.

Your wish has been granted. Accordingly to today's adver, travellers have just moved in.

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »
Your wish has been granted. Accordingly to today's adver, travellers have just moved in.

From the well publicised Dale Farm in Essex no less  ???
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »
And out again in double quick order -gone by this morning.

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
And out again in double quick order -gone by this morning.

They said they didn't want to live in a car park....

Maybe they've heard about the infamous Swindon traffic wardens and the resident parking schemes
Proud to be gone

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 08:17:21 AM »
There you go.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/average-home-sizes-around-the-151738

Simply conforming to a trend, trend is a bit like vibrant.

Well thats why houses are never listed by how many sq ft or sq m they are but rather by the number of (tiny) bedrooms.  Government would never risk upsetting their mates in the property development business ans estate agents wouldn't want people finding out just how overpriced some houses are so it'll never happen.

Online Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »
Well thats why houses are never listed by how many sq ft or sq m they are but rather by the number of (tiny) bedrooms.

Some estate agents include the floor area on their websites, but I agree that this tends to be hidden away. We compared price per floor area when searching for our new house. It wasn't intended to be a deciding factor - more a way of judging whether the sale prices were realistic.

Here is a selection of my findings:-

Established Estates
Broome Manor = £234/ft2
Drove Road = £217/ft2
Wroughton = £213/ft2 (3 storey)
Bridlewood (Viking Close) = £211/ft2
Bramptons = £207/ft2
Watermead (off of Ermin Street) = £205/ft2
Hatherall Close (off of Ermin Street) = £235/ft2
Prinnels = £198/ft2
Rushy Platt = £193/ft2
Abbeymeads = £189/ft2
Taw Hill = £155/ft2

New Builds
The Sidings = £165 - £173/ft2 (3 storey)
Kingsdown Park = £167 (3 storey)
Kingsdown Park = £210/ft2 (2 storey)

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 01:07:40 AM »
Wow!
You've done your homework
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 02:08:04 AM »

So..... it pays to have either small feet or large wallet, (f'nar, f'nar), if you wish to rub shoulders with LaLa Foley and the other ilk in Broome Manor ?  ;D

Offline Brian V Cockbill

• Hello !
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »
These figures are very interesting.    Is there any means to establishing figures that relate to housing which is described as 'affordable'?    Yet another comparison of bedroom sizes between these private properties and Council housing affected by the 'bedroom tax' would be revealing.
Brian V Cockbill

Online Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »
These figures are very interesting.    Is there any means to establishing figures that relate to housing which is described as 'affordable'?    Yet another comparison of bedroom sizes between these private properties and Council housing affected by the 'bedroom tax' would be revealing.
Brian V Cockbill

My figures aren't very scientific as they only relate to houses that we were interested in viewing. The sample size is small and only covers our preferred house type and price band. The figures also relate to asking price rather than sale price. The purpose of my research was really to determine whether the asking prices were sensible.

The figures tend to indicate that floor area is more important than the number of bedrooms. A house with 4 large bedrooms costs roughly the same as a house with 6 small bedrooms. We looked at a 6 bed house, but it was really a 4 bed with 2 large cupboards. You could fit a child's cot in the smaller rooms but couldn't let them as bedrooms.

The prices are logical as the number of bedrooms is defined by the layout of inexpensive stud partitions rather than land take or bricks and mortar. Three storey properties were also cheaper than 2 storey for obvious reasons. The 3 storey houses tend to have more bedrooms, so you get small reception rooms on the ground floor and 2 floors of small bedrooms.

The more exclusive areas (eg. Broome Manor) were more expensive but they are less crammed in with wide verges and landscaped areas.

We only compared the Council Tax banding on a few properties but were surprised at the difference. A 6 bed house in Wroughton was Band G (£2500 per year), but a similar priced 4 bed in Abbeymeads was only Band E (£1600 per year). I thought council tax banding was supposed to be based on property value, but the council appear to have been influenced by the large number of bedrooms.

We didn't study the 'affordable' housing end of the market, but did sell my house (3 bed - £160,000) and my girlfriends flat (1 bed - £55,000). We were surprised at how cheaply 1 bed flats are selling for. My personal view is that new build 'affordable' housing and part ownership schemes have suppressed the 1 bed market and in many cases, couples who bought them at the peak will now be trapped in them with negative equity. Not sure how a young couple wanting to start a family can get out of this situation.

If you are interested in comparing the prices of 'affordable' housing, the Rightmove website lists properties for sale and in most cases will include floor plans with floor areas.

Online Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 02:15:17 PM »

So..... it pays to have either small feet or large wallet, (f'nar, f'nar), if you wish to rub shoulders with LaLa Foley and the other ilk in Broome Manor ?  ;D

It depends on whether you want a four bed or a 'FORE!!!!' bed house.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 03:14:43 PM »
small feet or large wallet,

I've got that exactly wrong.....
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »
Hmmm,  no posts from the central councillors?

FYI, The Skip err Ship Hotel was Swindon's Gallows. 
There was a woman  murdered there, she's buried at the Church.
I believe her killer was the last person hanged in Swindon.

The whole building is built on a brick vaulted ceiling which covers the whole site.
Bit like the old Pattern Store.
The Gallows in the outbuilding dropped down into it.

I think this is something the whole area should have been consulted on?
Is there not anything in law about having to do a public consultation if creating a large social housing project?