Linked Events

• Apple Day 2013 - Queens Park: October 19, 2013

Author Topic: Apple Day 2013  (Read 11471 times)

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
Re: Apple Day 2013
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2013, 07:17:16 AM »
I've still got stacks of apples on the trees. They are late to ripen this year and, as they are ancient trees, the fruits get higher and more inaccessible every year. I have to wait for windfall. If anyone would like a load of windfall apples (they are eaters) let me know. 
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Muggins

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 09:08:30 AM »
I was handed a leaflet yesterday,  chap in Chestnut Ave, Swindon pays for apples - £30 per tonne if they pick from the trees, £120 per tonne if you pick.  Goodness knows what a tonne looks like though. 

Email info@circlecider.com    Phone Nick on 01793 491070

web page at www.circlecider.com

Facebook page Apple Mill the Circle Cider Brewery.

We are not taking up the offer but it might be good for some. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 09:28:11 AM »
I was handed a leaflet yesterday,  chap in Chestnut Ave, Swindon pays for apples - £30 per tonne if they pick from the trees, £120 per tonne if you pick.  Goodness knows what a tonne looks like though. 

Email info@circlecider.com    Phone Nick on 01793 491070

web page at www.circlecider.com

Facebook page Apple Mill the Circle Cider Brewery.

We are not taking up the offer but it might be good for some.

Is that the Gorsehill chap the Adver ran a story on earlier this year/last year? - I'd like to try his wares at some point - preferably when I don't have to work for a couple of days afterwards :)

I don't know exactly how much apples mass but some small to mid sized eaters we have seem to average about 100g each so, dependent on size and weight of individual apple, potentially 10,000 apples per ton. 

Apples seem to occupy quite a bit of volume for their relatively low mass so, (and this is a complete guesstimate on my part), but I would imagine one metric ton of apples would probably fill one and a half, (or possibly even two), bulk aggregate bags which would normally carry 1 ton of aggregate (sand/stone) each.   It's a lot of apples :)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
Yes, I think it is the guy they featured in the Adver.  All I know about the weight of apples, is that I lifted loads out of a tub, one at a time and cut them up to throw in the crusher yesterday and the back of my neck is aching some this morning.

What did surprise me is how dark the liquid was when it came out of the press.  The outsides were a bit rough in some cases, but the insides were beautiful, clear and juicy. 

I'm just hoping that as our Orchard was funded as a charity and a healthy eating one at that, no one will take advantage.

Got to say that the youngsters on our Community Association worked hard to put on a good, albeit small, show.  Well done them.   Loved the Conker snakes.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 06:40:44 PM »
What did surprise me is how dark the liquid was when it came out of the press.

I used to have a juicer in the kitchen before I got fed up with cleaning it.

Apple juice always came out brown instead of the light yellow colour in the shops. The juice oxidises in the same way that a cut apple quickly goes brown. Tastes good though.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 06:54:48 PM »
Apples seem to occupy quite a bit of volume for their relatively low mass so, (and this is a complete guesstimate on my part), but I would imagine one metric ton of apples would probably fill one and a half, (or possibly even two), bulk aggregate bags which would normally carry 1 ton of aggregate (sand/stone) each.   It's a lot of apples :)

1m3 of water weighs 1 tonne.
Apples float so must be less dense than water.
A bag of apples would also contain a lot of gaps, so bulk density would be further reduced.
1m3 of aggregate weighs approx. 1.8-1.9 tonnes.
So a tonne of apples would fill at least two bulk aggregate bags.

Of course if we apply the Monty Python principle, it is easy to determine that if an apple floats, it must weigh the same as a duck and is therefore a WITCHHHHHHH !!!!!

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 08:17:22 PM »
I guess there's only so much footage one can watch of apples being chopped, mashed up and pressed, but we liked this guy so much last year that we asked him to come and tell some more stories this year.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yCcXpfb9Yxk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yCcXpfb9Yxk</a>

Apparently he's never seen this story written down. It's on youtube now though, does that count?
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)