Linked Events

• Apple Day 2013 - Queens Park: October 19, 2013

Author Topic: Apple Day 2013  (Read 11452 times)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Apple Day 2013
« on: September 04, 2013, 08:38:01 AM »
On the 19th October, SCAN and the Secret Garden will be celebrating Apple Day, so...

Get collecting your apples and bring them to the secret garden in Queens Park between 10am and 3pm, where you can use SCAN's scratter and apple press (trained volunteers will be on hand to help you with this bit) to turn them into juice (don't forget to bring something to take the juice home in).

If you haven't been to an Apple Day in Swindon before, this is the sort of thing we get up to... (apologies to TS regulars who have probably already seen these videos)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-u9rYbQFNis" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-u9rYbQFNis</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7-LjTjRPNgU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7-LjTjRPNgU</a>

We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
Re: Apple Day 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 10:34:18 AM »
Thanks Simon,

Our apple tree has three different varieties of apple so they ripen at slightly different times.  We've had a bumper crop this year and we've already given some to the neighbours and made enough pie filling to keep me in pies for a year    :thumb:

In past years (except last year when the weather conspired to deliver a poor crop) we usually make enough apple chutney to feed Swindon so the apples haven't been left around for very long.

Consequently I have a question.......we still have more than half the apples on the tree and judging by the 'drop' rate and their size I think they're close to being read for picking, so, assuming that our tree is no different to any other in the area, my question is does anyone know how long apples will keep for and is it likely that they will last long enough to be able to be turned into juice in October?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 10:53:16 AM »
Picking time and keeping time is dependent on the variety, I've done the list for the Orchard, so if you know your varieties I can provide said info.  wish I could get pics up.

Pick                 Apple Variety      Initials        Keeps until
August early   Gladstone                     G        September
August                  Beauty of Bath   BB        Pick and eat
August                  Discovery     D                       September
August                  George Cave   GC         January
August mid   Tydeman’s  Early Worcester   TE   September
September mid   Charles Ross   CR         March
September  mid    Elisons Orange   EO         Pick and eat
September late   Egremont Russet   ER        December
September    Holstein   H                       October
September   Ingrid Marie   IE        Pick and eat
September early    James Grieve    JG        October
September early   Katy   K                       October
September mid   Lord Lambourne   LL        November
September late   Ribston Pippin   RP        January
September late   Rubinette   R                      October
September mid   St Edmunds Russet   SR       October
September late    Sunset   SS                      December
October early   Allington Pippin   AP       November
October                  Ashmead Kernel                     February
October early   Blenheim Orange   BO      Pick and eat
October mid   Bramley  Seedling-cooker         January
October mid   Chivers Delight   CD      March
October early   Christmas Pearmain   CX       January
October  early mid    Claygate Pearmain   CL       February
October                 Cox's Orange Pippin   CO       January
October mid   Crispin   C                     February
October                  Elstar   E                     January
October early   Kidds Orange Red   KO       March
October   Lanes Prince Albert -cooker   PA       March
October late   Laxtons Royalty   LR       March
October early   Laxtons Superb   LS       November
October   Melrose   ML                                    Good keeper
October mid   Orleans Reinette   OR        January
October early   Red Pippin (fiesta)   F       March
October early   Reverend Wilks  - Cooker   RW    November
October mid   Suntan   ST                      December
October                  Rosemary Russet   RR         January
October mid   William Crump   WC         February
                  Worcester Pearmain         Muggins favourite, no date, they will all be eaten   
November   Annie Elizabeth   ??          April
November   Stoke Edith Pippin   SE   
November   Reinette Ananas   RA          January
December                  Margil   MG                        January
                  Yarlington Mill - cider   YM   
                  Kingston Black  - cider   KB
Pears      
August                 Beth   PB                   September
October                  Conference   CF   November
November   Doyenne de Comice   DC   December
September late   Louise Jersey   LJ   
September   Bon Chretein   BC   

Sorry its wobbly,  ignore the intials in each line, they refer to the Orchard grid of where they can be found.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 11:12:43 AM »
My folks have had great success getting apples to keep for months by wrapping them individually in a sheet of newspaper and storing them in the cellar. I guess any cool, dark, dry place would do just as well. Maybe an airy place in a shed or garage? The newspaper seems to work by keeping the bugs and mould spores off and I guess helps prevent the apples from drying out too quickly. My mum used to sometimes pop down into the cellar to collect a few, and when she did, she'd turn them and maybe weed out any that were showing signs of going bad. I remember they'd last through from the end of September till well into Feb.

Now they just get turned into cider!  :thumb:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:34:49 AM »
Great advice guys thanks.    :)

It's largely russets that are left on the tree, there are quite a few of the other varieties lefts, but generally it looks like the timing means that these will be good for juicing.  Sadly I don't know for sure what the varieties are as the tree was planted by the previous owners and they couldn't remember the varieties.

I've heard that not allowing them to touch will help keep them for longer and have considered asking a supermarket if they still use the cardboard boxes with those apple shaped divider trays....sadly I think the larger chains now use those plastic stacking crates that can be dropped straight into the shelf, presumably supported with a dose of radiation on the apples!  I may try to find a friendly local greengrocer instead.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »
We don't have to keep ours with them being at the disposal of an whole estate, but usually when we've seen them 'kept' they are in/on drawer shaped racks with a slatted bottom.

If you are interested in the event we went to last year, The Tenbury Wells Applefest, it looks like it's going to be bigger and better this year.

http://www.applefest.org.uk/

If you had a sample of each apple, you could take them there for identification. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 03:26:14 PM »
wish I could get pics up.

Why can't you?, if you describe the problem/what doesn't happen when you try, we'll see if we can fix that for you :)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »
We have an apple tree that has a beautiful crop of sweet juicy Discovery at this time every year Tobes. The are bright scarlet on the outside with areas of pink flesh inside. They look good and they taste very very good...................BUT.................they do not keep at all (maybe because they are so sweet?) and the wasps just love them. I have to pick what the wasps haven't badly damaged at night when they are in their nests. I shall be out tonight and rescue what I can.

They are so good they aren't going to be juiced, instead we will take what we think that we can eat in one week and the rest will be given to friends and neighbours etc etc.
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 06:34:51 PM »
wish I could get pics up.

Why can't you?, if you describe the problem/what doesn't happen when you try, we'll see if we can fix that for you :)

I know it's  my end, until recently I couldn't get them up because they are too big, then I noticed you had taken off the size restriction and somehow when I 'Browse' I can't see my documents let alone my pictures. I have the same trouble with uploading to Facebook, but have countered that by putting them up before I save them into their files. 

I thought afterwards, if people would like to see them, they probably can on the Penhill Orchard facebook page. 

I would still like to know what I've done that hides the documents and pics when I summon it up. Its Ok when I want to say put one in a doc etc. It's all visible there.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 06:56:34 PM »
Good luck Outoftowner - but leave a few for the wasps, they're struggling along with the bees at the moment and also do a lot of good for gardeners by eating all sorts of other bugs (as well as providing food for badgers!).

I'm told that the older varieties were / are often best for keeping. I don't know what variety the ones are in my folks garden - they're a lovely stripy red, quite small and hard. The tree they come off is vast - and at least 40 feet tall!

Its shaping up to be an absolute cracking fruit harvest. They've also said on the news that there's a chance of catching Northern Lights of an evening this autumn - so don't go blaming the cider for any unexpected sights! ;-)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »
On my last trip to the tip, 127% of waste recycled to date, I saw somebody throwing carrier bags of apples way.

Little green buggers, about large satsuma size. I'm guessing sharp and bitter. If it were me my freezer would be rammed with stewed apples.

I think they are all salvageable with varying degrees of work.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 08:02:43 PM »
I'm not going to claim to be an expert on apples, because I'm not, but these are the tips I've been given for keeping them in good condition:

* Pick them carefully, bruised apples will not keep
* Find somewhere cool to put them
* Wrap the fruit singly in kitchen paper (or even newspaper) and place carefully into boxes or trays
* Spread them out a little so they do not touch
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 08:14:28 PM »
Good luck Outoftowner - but leave a few for the wasps, they're struggling along with the bees at the moment and also do a lot of good for gardeners by eating all sorts of other bugs (as well as providing food for badgers!).

The wasps have had all our pears this year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36164377@N07/9654327302/#
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 08:35:21 AM »
Crikey Jean, if that was happening down the orchard, that would keep the riff raff out! We were thinking of not replacing the struggling pear trees, perhaps that's a good reason to keep them going.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 11:59:51 AM »
Here's a little video wot I made to promote this event

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ouBo4kd4eps" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ouBo4kd4eps</a>

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 06:16:01 AM »

I like it :)

DaMellon made some cider this year, (with a juice kit), but I'd like to see what he could brew with properly mashed up apples. 

Where's the event being held?  (I think I missed that bit)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 06:17:05 AM »

D'oh! now I see the calendar event at the top of the page  :embarassed:

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 07:21:28 PM »
I think that was a pretty successful day, with the chopping tables, scratter and two presses in almost constant use all day, and it was a real pleasure for me to see the Secret Garden for the first time.

I take my hat off to Lorraine and the Vowley Farm crew for their catering - not only their trademark high quality sausages and burgers, but also tea/coffee and cakes (the blackberry and apple cake was lovely, I wish I'd had more time to pig out and try the other cakes too).

I learned a few things from yesterday too.

One family, who seem to be particularly clued up on the subject of turning apples into cider, mentioned that they freeze their apples in order to get more juice out of them. This had never occurred to me before, but it makes perfect sense when you think about it - fruits contain a lot of water within their cells, so when the water freezes, it expands and punctures the cell walls, doing a similar job to the scratter, but on a more microscopic level.

I also learned that people can find things you post on the interwebs by the most unexpected routes. One of the SCAN volunteers was asking people how they found out about the event, and one person said they found it on the Woolly Green's list of apple day events (a site I'd never come across before), which in turn links to this very thread.

Still working on the photos and videos (youtube is still telling me that my videos are "queued"... for the past 2 hours, not sure what's going on there), but those of you who do the facebook thing can find some photos courtesy of the SCAN facebook page and the Secret Garden facebook page.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 07:54:16 PM »
Our s.aller e e.t today went very well, i was apple chopping for a couple of hours and I can recommend it for soft hands. In ghe background were conker competitions and autmn crafts, i couldn,t stay long enouvh to sample the applestrudel sticks that were about to go in the oven.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 11:14:17 PM »
... Muggins my gal, have you been at the fermented apple juice..?!  >:D