Community, Environment & Leisure
> Leisure: Walking, Running, Cycling, Riding, Flying & Driving

Commuting By Bicycle - Hybrid Upgrade: Boardman MX Race or Voodo Marasa?

<< < (2/16) > >>

Simon:

--- Quote from: Geoff Reid on August 28, 2013, 06:31:19 PM ---Nah, I'll ride in anything apart from ice and snow :)

--- End quote ---

You're a hardier cyclist than me then, I really don't like cycling through rain.

My bike (which I use mainly for commuting to work) is a hybrid at the bottom end of the range offered by Raleigh, and it has served me faithfully for the best part of 5 years.

--- Quote from: Geoff Reid on August 28, 2013, 02:07:43 PM ---I like the Boardmans huge range of gear ratios (27) although I'm not put off the Voodoo's 'mere' 24.

--- End quote ---

It's not the number of gears which is important, it's the range they cover and whether you can easily change between them. My bike has 21 gears (3 on the pedals * 7 on the rear wheel) but I only use about 4 of them regularly, and one of the really low gears for a few seconds per year before deciding to walk the rest of the way up Kingshill instead.

Geoff Reid:
Ah, 30+ years of all-year motorcycling sort of puts low speed rain in its place - also easier for a cyclist to keep their body temperature up and I run quite hot so can use a light shell layer, even in winter temperatures.

I use all my gears, even the granny ring, although I have noticed that I'm not using that as often as I did to start with. I pedalled up Kingshill the other evening, didn't drop down onto the granny ring until the last 100 yards :)

Pretty.pleased with the way my fitness is improving each week, I've pedalled every inch of the laat 80 commuting miles and last night did the outbound 7 miles in exactly 40 minutes - I'm also 21 Lbs lighter than I was when I started.  Considering that I've added a few pounds of muscle weight I'm quite pleased :)

I know I can do it harder and faster, but not much of either on the black bike.  That said, I'll continue to get fitter and lighter whatever bike I commute on :)

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

Simon:

--- Quote from: Geoff Reid on August 29, 2013, 12:31:33 AM ---I pedalled up Kingshill the other evening, didn't drop down onto the granny ring until the last 100 yards :)

--- End quote ---

I'm impressed :-) I'd probably have been walking by then.

Geoff Reid:

--- Quote from: Simon on August 29, 2013, 01:40:06 AM ---
--- Quote from: Geoff Reid on August 29, 2013, 12:31:33 AM ---I pedalled up Kingshill the other evening, didn't drop down onto the granny ring until the last 100 yards :)

--- End quote ---

I'm impressed :-) I'd probably have been walking by then.

--- End quote ---

Tig and I are.walking up some proper big hills soon so it's part of my 'psychollogical preparation DBDBBH' program. (Don't be daunted by big hills) :)

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

Muggins:
Every way home to Penhill involves a big hill,so well used to those.  Mind those leg muscle buil up,they soon tturn back to flab once you stop!

A choice of bike for me would not depend on the number of gears,, but the size of the saddle, and basically i,d never geet one big enough.   :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version