Author Topic: Housing development could create problem unless something is done  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Richard Symonds

On the Adver Website as of 3.20pm today!!

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10618812.ADVER_ROADSHOW__Housing_development_could_create_problem_unless_something_is_done/

Housing development could create problem unless something is done

3:20pm Saturday 17th August 2013 in News By Dominic Gilbert

Councillors and residents are angry the Ridgeway Farm homes issue will be heard behind closed doors. From left, ward councillors Garry Perkins and Keith Williams and Swindon mayor Coun Nick Martin

CONCERNS over a bottleneck road that could become clogged with traffic around the proposed housing development at Ridgeway Farm, could be cured with a new scheme to create a green wave of traffic lights.

After developers Taylor Wimpey reduced the width of the spine road which would serve as the central access route to development to 6.5 metres, there have been cries of dissent from those who believe the road would create unnecessary danger to drivers and clog traffic.

But Swindon Council is rolling out a new scheme on Thamesdown Drive this year to integrate traffic lights along the route to keep a smooth flow of traffic, and have licence to roll out the initiative into West Swindon, particularly Mead Way.

Keith Williams, portfolio holder for Highways and Transport at Swindon Council, said: “The difficulty with the development is that the roads are an issue that does not fall directly under the area of Swindon, but there is definitely a direct impact.

“There is some money from the housing development which will go towards investigating that. One of the major causes for concern is that outline planning application was granted on appeal but not held in public, and areas such as parking provision in houses and inroads have not been properly considered.

“They are elements of the planning application in their own right and should be treated as such.

“The reason the road has been narrowed is to reduce the speed of traffic coming through. The impact that could have is there would be a bottleneck on that road.

“A lot of the traffic goes from east to west, bringing Wiltshire into Swindon.

“On Thamesdown Drive we are putting in an integrated traffic management system. All of the signals will link up and be coordinated by a central hub. After we have put down the lights on Thamesdown Drive, we have another 15 junction licenses left, so we could extend the system along Mead Way.

“Traffic lights are not something we really want to put up, so we are going to be looking at that option carefully. If we do find we have a serious problem then that is something we can put into place.

“It will have a green wave, allowing a better flow of traffic along the route.

“While now we have a high volume of vehicles approaching, this system will allow a freer flow of traffic.”

Kevin Fisher, chairman of the Shaw Residents’ Association, thinks the new access road is designed to create danger for motorists to force them to slow down.

“Approaching vehicles will have only 10cm between them if there is a vehicle parked on the road and will likely stop, holding up traffic in peak hours,” he said.

“But they are now considering applying double yellow lines along the length of the spine road, which will have a speed limit of 30mph.

“If the narrowness of the road has been designed to ensure that on street parking slows traffic, placing double yellow lines on both sides of the road will negate this safety feature and present speeding dangers to both pedestrians and road users.

“The standard for building new roads seems to be based on the North Swindon example, creating as much danger for motorists as possible to prevent speeding.

“They have deliberately designed the roads to be too narrow to slow the vehicles down.”

The photograph shows three of the most powerful and important Councillors in Swindon, so why can't they do something about this situation?

Keith Williams for one is the Lead Member for Transport and either he or one of his staff agreed to the road width reduction, so who was it?

Why do we have to permit Wiltshire access to our road infrastructure if their Councillors do not play the game to ensure that the impact of a development on our doorstep only worsens an already unacceptable road infrastructure system on Mead Way which has been a problem since I moved to Shaw in 1991.

The Conservative administration of which these Councillors have been an important part throughout has been in power for ten years so why haven't they done anything about it?

If I were them I wouldn't be so keen to highlight a situation of which they have become an accessory through their inaction!! 

I am sure they would be only too happy to tell us if they had secured anything from Wiltshire to mitigate this diabolical situation and I am reasonably confident that more traffic lights is not an answer!

All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
Re: Housing development could create problem unless something is done
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:09:12 PM »
A picture is worth a thousand words and that one is interesting as they are not standing shoulder to shoulder in fact one is behind the gate. Do they work together in the ward  :-\

My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline swindoncentric

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:18:01 PM »
I don't understand the comment about extending this 'green wave' along Mead Way.

There aren't any signalised junctions on Mead Way to alter, unless you're counting the part-signalised Bridgemead roundabout.

Or does Councillor Williams mean to introduce traffic lights on the smaller roundabouts along Mead Way?

The Adver also mentions extending this green wave in the story, but gives no details for the comments about Mead Way.

Anyone?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »
Cue councillors running round with floppy wrists saying:

'Something must be done'

All the time missing the fact they are supposed to be doing.

If Mr Renard says it's OK, oh, and Mr Whippy.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline PetitMall

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »
Now now, Mr Mart what are you suggesting?  The one in front seems to have a frown, the other two just seem to be along, for the walk.  Nice setting, is this where they are doing the building or setting up the traffic lights?  We seem to like traffic lights in Swindon.

The Shaw residents Chairman thinks the spine road is dangerous so do the Swindon councillors care as it is not on their patch?  If not what is the point of this article in general and this photograph in particular?

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 07:17:03 PM »
.Now now, Mr Mart what are you suggesting?  The one in front seems to have a frown, the other two just seem to be along, for the walk.   

Keith Williams doesn't appear to be suitably attired for rambling.

I did chuckle at the image Mart has conjured up of limp wristed councillors, but I think the word "ooh!" Should have been included

"Ooh! Something must be done. Ooh something must be done"  ;D
Proud to be gone

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 07:54:29 PM »
I did chuckle at the image Mart has conjured up of limp wristed councillors, but I think the word "ooh!" Should have been included

Is this more about a photo call than the issue under discussion and does anyone actually believe they want to address the concerns that arise? 

They have had more than enough opportunities or is Swindon Borough Council and are these Councillors completely impotent and not worthy of any respect from our Neighbours in Wiltshire or for that matter the people of Shaw either?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Mr Grumble

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »
.Now now, Mr Mart what are you suggesting?  The one in front seems to have a frown, the other two just seem to be along, for the walk.   

Shouldn't that be Garry Perkins saying "Nothing should be done right, right"  I've heard that people in the public gallery keep a tally of Perkins right, right?

As we know certain politicians use words that mean the opposite.  So when they say right does it mean anything but it is right, right! ;D ;D

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Re: Housing development could create problem unless something is done
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »

And a Beret.  That tableau needs a Frank Spencer beret to make it whole. Betty.

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 11:35:15 AM »
Try a Perkins tally on "actually". Sue Bates often would.
Bobby

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 01:08:57 PM »
Shouldn't that be Garry Perkins saying "Nothing should be done right, right"  I've heard that people in the public gallery keep a tally of Perkins right, right?

Readers might be interested to know that at one Full Council Chris Watts and I had a wager as to how many 'right's our Garry would exclaim during his speech?

Chris came up with the figure of 15

and I came up with the figure of 25

and we were both wrong!!

He used the word 36 times, right!!

It would appear the more animated he gets the more he says it.

The trouble is he has never got animated about Ridgeway Farm otherwise we would not be facing this situation, but as he lives in Dorcan it won't not affect him, will it?

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
36 is that the record  :-\
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 01:17:36 PM »
It has been alleged that the famous three Councillors for Shaw Messrs. Perkins Martin and Williams have not even so much as contacted their colleagues in Wiltshire to call this in!!  Do Shaw Residents feel they should?  Well, er yes, at the very least.

So much for Nick Martin and all his protestations if this is true.

Mind you he voiced his enthusiasm over Tadpole Farm for which there was unanimous approval at planning for that proposal and Crest Nicholson must have thought they got all their Christmas' at once.

I shall start a separate thread on the Water situation which affects the whole of the area, written in the Adver yesterday, it makes interesting reading.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 05:14:55 PM »
In view of my previous posting I thought the following article in the Adver had some relevance

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/archive/2012/04/20/9662477.ELECTION_COUNTDOWN__Shaw/

ARCHIVE - FRIDAY, 20 APRIL 2012
By David Wiles »
THE three councillors who are elected in the Shaw ward will be expected to fight against the development of 700 homes at Ridgeway Farm, residents say.

Shaw is a new ward, with a similar boundary to the existing Shaw and Nine Elms ward, and it covers Shaw, Middleaze, Eastleaze, Nine Elms, Roughmoor, Sparcells, Westmead and most of Peatmoor.

Andrew Snowden, the chairman of Shaw Residents’ Association, said the key issue for these communities was the proposed development, just over the local authority border, at Ridgeway Farm, Purton.

The plan was rejected by Wiltshire Council in February, but developer Taylor Wimpey appealed the decision, on the basis that the authority did not rule on it within the legal time limit, and an eight-day planning inquiry will start in Chippenham on May 9.

Mr Snowden said residents wanted the new councillors to object to the plans and to work with MPs to influence the planning of housing developments.

“Some people don’t want that green area built on but there’s a significant concern over infrastructure,” said Mr Snowden, of Nine Elms.

“Roads such as Mead Way and Swinley Drive are very likely to get massive increases in traffic. Mead Way is always heavily congested without having a lot of new houses, because it is one of the main routes into Swindon.”

On a separate topic, he wanted to know what could be done about the high cost of public liability insurance, which he said was a barrier to the association and other voluntary groups helping out more in the community.

Richard Symonds, of The Bramptons, Shaw, said he would like the new councillors to keep the residents informed over the Ridgeway Farm plans.

He said: “It’s going to affect us terribly for the simple reason that the traffic infrastructure just can’t take it. We’ve got major traffic issues in both directions on Mead Way, so more homes there is going to make a difference.”

Claire Kamm, a youth worker for the Emerge Youth Project, based at Holy Trinity Church, in Shaw, said she would like the new councillors to secure more council funding for the project.

She said the council had only given it £500 in the last four years.

“We need £19,000 to £20,000 a year to run the project so funding is a big thing we need,” she said.

“We get some funding from local companies like Npower and Zurich but funding is a big issue.”

Colin Butcher, 63, of Edgeworth Close, Shaw, said he wanted Swindon Council to lay footpaths along Mead Way and Thamesdown Drive to create a safer and more direct route into town.

“People have got to go off the main road and on to these windy paths in and around bushes. And for women walking on their own, it’s just not on,” he said.

Mr Butcher said he would also like bus services to be improved between Shaw and Swindon.

Comments (32)

20/04/12
itsamess says...

I do not remember seeing the full lists of candidates and what they believe they can bring to the wards and swindon--isnt it time they let us know?
20/04/12
I Too says...

Information about the respective candidates can be found on TalkSwindon
www.talkswindon.org

Don't forget this ward is bejng represented by Garry Perkins of Wifi fame.

Last years election features here

http://www.talkswind
on.org/index.php/top
ic,7033.msg59629.htm
l#msg59629

Whilst the ongoing Wifi saga is still being discussed here

on.org/index.php/top
ic,5063.60.html
20/04/12
I Too says...

itsamess wrote:
I do not remember seeing the full lists of candidates and what they believe they can bring to the wards and swindon--isnt it time they let us know?
Try this link for the entire event

on.org/index.php/boa
rd,251.0.html
20/04/12
I Too says...

itsamess wrote:
And here are the leaflets that will be on doorsteps

on.org/index.php/top
ic,8290.msg78615/top
icseen.html#msg78615
21/04/12
Grimwald says...

How is Gary Perkins going to explain away the council loan of £400,000 to the company he is a director of ie Digital City?
21/04/12
gambon says...

another one sided view from the adver we need ridgeway farm developed and the housing on this side of town this will help with jobs and benefit swindon
21/04/12
LordAshOfTheBrake says...

@Gambon,

What long term jobs are being created by creating more housing.

What are the other benefits to Swindon?
21/04/12
Robfm says...

Strangely enough the Adver provided a full list of the candidates as soon as they were announced.

The list is under the banner Election new 2012, what a bizarre place to put it:):):)

http://www.swindonad
vertiser.co.uk/news/
swindon_advertiser_l
ocal_elections_2012/
?ref=fetp
21/04/12
Everyonecounts says...

gambon wrote:
another one sided view from the adver we need ridgeway farm developed and the housing on this side of town this will help with jobs and benefit swindon
Noone thinks that except you and the developers (if you are not one and the same), not the MPs, not Swindon Council, not Swindon Council opposition, not Wilts County Council. All parties say the development will cause unsustainable stress on local infrastructure with no hope of it being improved.
21/04/12
gambon says...

LordAshOfTheBrake wrote:
@Gambon,

What long term jobs are being created by creating more housing.

What are the other benefits to Swindon?
Swindon needs to grow in size and we will create jobs in construction and then in schools and shops and other local business this creates ok the roads need updating and a dual carrage way from north to west needs to be built again creating jobs but the land is there to do it just nobody wants it in their back garden
21/04/12
I Too says...

Yeah. Of course it does.
That's what Swindon has done for decades and the entire nation thinks Swindon is wonderful (not)
21/04/12
gambon says...

nobody wanted north swindon built it was and is a great place to live oh and nobody wanted west swindon built and guess what it is a great place to live (apart from toothill who would ever want to live there) I would bet it was the same when the eastern side of town was built so stop moaning and let the new town be built
21/04/12
LordAshOfTheBrake says...

Jobs in construction are short term at best. What about long term jobs for all those people who will live in the extra housing.

Schools, shops etc are all service industry jobs, what about sustainability. Industries that create wealth.

Developers are already failing on their promises surrounding the existing developments (see other articles over the last couple of weeks).

Get some of the existing construction work completed and then we can consider all the green field site proposals. Redhouse is still not complete as an example and developers are shunning their commitments.
21/04/12
Robfm says...

All to often, Councils, especially this one let developers get away with not completing projects.

I have said before they should be made to develop the infrastructure first Shop shells etc), then build the housing.

However we know that provided they cross the palms of the Council with 106 money that appears to do the trick.
21/04/12
I Too says...

People should choose the best LOCAL candidate to represent their LOCAL area.

There is plenty of information on the internet and local media to help choose candidates and vote wisely.

It's all very well having Robert Feal-martinez swamping these threads, telling people who to vote for, but his previous election campaign can be seen here

on.org/index.php/top

ic,7033.0.html

I laughed at page 4 when he said he couldn't go out canvassing because his posterior wouldn't let him :):):):)

And pages 7 & 8 see him throw his toys out of the pram as people grow disenchanted with him.

If only these threads had the same luxury :-)
21/04/12
itsamess says...

I Too
Thanks--some eye-opening revelations on there--i see your namesake was uncovered-and a few others. It does allow us to see the reality of the situation.
21/04/12
timt1964 says...

the nimbys are out in force again.they seem to forget that at some point where they live was probably a field aswell so stop whinging and get behind the growth of the town.
21/04/12
Robfm says...

More totally irrelevant posts, given that I am not involved in UKIP's campaign this year either as a candidate or committee member.

I do however fully support the need for change in Swindon. That is not going to happen unless people change their voting panels, in an organised and clear way.

Hence my suggestion, I am not telling anyone how to vote, those who criticise would do well to look up the definition of suggestion, to vote for independents and the smaller parties.

Change will not come in there is tribal voting.
21/04/12
itsamess says...

Bob
Perhaps you would be best advised to let candidates and committee members explain the issues they are campaigning on as you are damaging their image which could be why you you are not a candidate or committee member.
22/04/12
Robfm says...

I choose not to be either Walter, despite the comments you invent on here, as having come from UKIP sources.

However clearly you miss the point about changing the council, unless ever voter uses the same MO in their voting pattern there is unlikely to be sufficient change.

Looking at the various lists of candidates, in 3 seat wards there is usually only 1 UKIP, 1 Green and 1 Independent. If people want change the choice is simple.
22/04/12
I Too says...

You also choose to miss the point.
Blinkered by your own political agenda and previous election failings.

Voting with the haphazard method you suggest would cause the loss of some good, time proven councillors.

Whilst some councillors need to be ousted, there are a few good ones that should remain.

All the information is out there.
People would do well to make use of it

This would be a good place to start

on.org/index.php?boa
rd=251.0
22/04/12
Robfm says...

So still plugging the pro Labour site, and who did you state you would be voting for, oh that would be Labour, no attempt at influencing others then.????
22/04/12
Robfm says...

It seem Conservative home now feel it's time to allow the people to decide on an IN/OUT referendum on the EU. The one sure fire way of rescuing not only our national sovereignty, but providing billions for local services.

http://conservativeh
ome.blogs.com/platfo
rm/2012/04/speaking-
as-a-euro-enthusiast
-i-want-an-inout-ref
erendum-it-would-dea
l-with-ukip.html
22/04/12
I Too says...

Robfm says...
April 01, 2011, 07:59:40 AM

"Unfortunately my arse has very much been in gear for the last couple of days. Age doesn't come alone. 
Ah I do love the irony of this site ......"

on.org/index.php/top
ic,7033.60.html
23/04/12
Robfm says...

Simple trolling again I Too.
23/04/12
I Too says...

Being abusive again I see
Clatterass
23/04/12
Robfm says...

How abusive, you are trolling to find puerile things to post. Fact.

As for abusive so what is post pray tell.

Not at work again or abusing this employer.
23/04/12
Still About says...

Or he could be working night shift or on a tea break.

You clearly no nothing about working for a living.
23/04/12
Robfm says...

Clearly you've never run a pub/motel or you wouldn't make such a crass statement.
23/04/12
I Too says...

Robfm says...
9:56am Mon 23 Apr 12

"How abusive, you are trolling to find puerile things to post."

Hypocrite to the extreme
23/04/12
I Too says...

Robfm says...
9:56am Mon 23 Apr 12

"How abusive, you are trolling to find puerile things to post."

Hypocrite to the extreme
23/04/12
Robfm says...

To be able to troll someone you have to know who they are. You are anonymous, so I can hardly troll you or anyone else on this site who is anonymous.

I wonder what price the Conservatives will pay for their disinterested attitude to this development? 

And before anyone states the obvious threatening to lay down in front of bulldozers is not actually doing so!!

It is not what you promise to do it is what you actually do.

Talk Swindon gets quite a plug as well in the comments