Author Topic: Excess Green Waste Put In The Wheelie Bin?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
Excess Green Waste Put In The Wheelie Bin?
« on: August 15, 2013, 01:05:42 PM »
Just wondered if anyone has placed 'over the two per week' bags of garden waste into their wheelie bin, if there is capacity? If so, what has happened, was it taken, did you get a naughty person note and have it dumped back on your property, or was it taken without a fuss?

My bin usually contains just two black bags of un-recycleable stuff and the collectors often don't take the wheelie, but remove the bags and take them to the wagon, so am I able to fill it up with green bags over the four? Can't keep queuing at The Tip!

Offline Muggins

Re: Excess Green Waste Put In The Wheelie Bin?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »
Not got the space forr a cmpost bin?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »
A rat problem last autumn / winter ... the compost bin was emptied. We have quite an assortment of high vegetation creating far too much for composting anyway. :bash:

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
I've got space for a compost bin, but no need for compost.

I generate about 8 green bags twice a year when I do my pruning, so a trip to tip is my only option.

Would it be such a bad thing if it went in the wheelie bin and in to landfill? Won't it just compost there instead?

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 09:33:34 PM »
I think that any bin not being collected because of inappropriate waste is largely down to the bin men on your route.  The result is likely to be  inconsistent and may depend on whether you tip them at Christmas, their mood on the day, the weather and how close they are to clocking off.

I can only recall one occasion when my bin wasn't emptied and, assuming this wasn't down to the bin men adopting a slack approach to their job, I think this may have been because I had a couple of small off-cuts of carpet on top of the rubbish inside the half full bin.

As the bin was only half full, I simply took the bin back into the garden and filled it up over the following two weeks, meaning that the carpet was now covered up.

The next time the bin men came, the full bin was then emptied without any problem.

Consequently my suggestion would be that, if you do try this, cover it with normal household waste.  However an even better option would be to see if your neighbours have put garden waste out and, if not, ask them if you can put some of your garden waste outside their house instead.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:03:00 AM »
To be honest, I have a compost bin, but rarely use the stuff from it, on account that I no longer have the strength to do the shovelling.  But it rots away nicely on it own. Having said that over the years my garden has become about a foot higher than my neighbours, some of that is the the lay of the land, and because a previous neighbour always dug over his garden, dug out the weeds with the soil still clinging to the roots and chucked it over the back fence. That resulted in him having no decent top soil. But some of it is the extra top up and leaves from the Copse.

All household waste - peeling etc. go into the compost and some of the softer garden cuttings, anything hard, thorny bindweed and Wood Avens go in the green bags, although I feel a bit guilty doing that  - although it does go to the 'soil improver' that the council sells via TWIGs? . 

I have a good sized garden but not enormous. No grass though. If I had to do a major cut back then I would expect to take it to the tip.

Not that many people up our street seem to use the green bag service so could easily take my extra bag if they so wished.

And NOTHING goes over the back fence.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)