Author Topic: Support for the Corn Exchange regeneration plans  (Read 4991 times)

Offline OTTed

• Colin Doubleday from Old Town Swindon
Support for the Corn Exchange regeneration plans
« on: July 27, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »
Dear all

So who is going along to the Arts Centre next week to check out the detailed plans for the Corn Exchange development - incorporating Old Town Market Square, The Old Town Hall [previously trading as The Locarno] and environs.

I have seen the plans and I think they are fabulous and substantially what Old Town needs.

My understanding is that backers are lined up and that substantially this will be privately funded. The council however is being requested to support the plans with certain changes to the roads and infrastructure.

Why should we all go?
- because public consultation is what we all ask for, if we don't take part well then perhaps deserve the ignorant governance we have experienced for so long
- because the developers and Forward Swindon have done the hard work, they have respected the heritage, costed and planned the development and they have worked with the local community. let's show them respect
- because we need to show the council that this is a great idea and can/should be enabled as soon as possible

Of course you may have critique or bright ideas for tweaking the plans, but this is the chance to say.

So who is going along? 3-7 Tues and Wed at the Arts Centre next week.

It is so nice to be talking about something positive on here for a change :-)

Offline OTTed

Re: Support for the Corn Exchange regeneration plans
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »
OK all, I am fascinated by the lack of comment on this subject.

40 views, not one comment. Don't we do good news stories around here?

I hope that the lack of noise means 'of course Ted, we will all be at the Arts Centre Tuesday to offer our support'....?

Doesn't matter whether you live in Old Town, it does matter that a developer is trying to do something really positive for our town

cheers guys

:-)

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:41:44 PM »
Must admit did not know anything about it.

Trying to understand dates.  Will the display be on tommorrow (30th) and Wednesday 31st?  If so will try and attend as have a works social this Wednesday!!

Any more details?  Weblink to plans

I am happy to be proved wrong but I always hesitate when I see the words "Forward Swindon"!

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
I'll repeat what I wrote in another discussion as they summarise my thoughts pretty well.

When reading the planning brief documents one phrase (or similar) kept cropping up - poor quality 20th century development.  Let us hope that they don't replace poor quality 20th century buildings with poor quality 21st century ones.

http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=281&MId=6193&Ver=4  (agenda item 11)

I'll also add that I do really like the idea of making the corn exchange a sort of indoor 'open space' as it makes the scheme more financially viable - sometimes you just have to try and make the best out of a bad situation and that might be the solution here.

Offline OTTed

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »
yes Concerned

3-7pm tues & wed this week

I always think that must be challenging for those who work outside Swindon or with childcare responsibility. but better than nothing

I will ask at the event what else is online, but think we should show an interest in a developer who is trying hard

Thanks Gorgon for the link and initial opinion

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 08:24:59 PM »
At the moment I don't have enough hours in my days.

I'm guessing that there's some kind of walled garden theme?

How about giving us a very brief description of what the plans are?
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:35:46 PM »
OK all, I am fascinated by the lack of comment on this subject.

40 views, not one comment. Don't we do good news stories around here?

I hope that the lack of noise means 'of course Ted, we will all be at the Arts Centre Tuesday to offer our support'....?

Funnily enough I've had several wanders around the Locarno and have coughed up opinions on several previous proposals. On each I've either cheesed off the developer, various councillors and Old Town residents - sometimes all at once! :)

I guess I've just become ambivalent about it. 

I like Wood Street though. We were up there earlier as a matter of fact. 

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 08:55:45 PM »
Here's an illustrative example from the planning brief of what a redevelopment could look like (as I said lets hope poor 20th century buildings aren't replaced with poor 21st century ones):

Offline oldtowner

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 09:33:49 PM »
Must admit did not know anything about it.

Trying to understand dates.  Will the display be on tommorrow (30th) and Wednesday 31st?  If so will try and attend as have a works social this Wednesday!!

Any more details?  Weblink to plans

I am happy to be proved wrong but I always hesitate when I see the words "Forward Swindon"!

C_o_O_T

see the following link from January this year

http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php/topic,9150.msg89654.html#msg89654

Quote from: Oldtowner

Also thought it was interesting how Forward Swindon and the Director of Planning were trying to steal the kudos for the Corn Exchange redevelopement when those of us who know better know that its the developer who deserves to take the credit for his endeavour and involvement with the local communities to try and revive the heart of Old Town and breath new life into it.

They are so predictable.........

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »
Unable to get out at the limited times available to comment, and being unaware that it had been resurrected, thanks for the chance to see the plan.

I find the artist's impression great on the whole except for the 7 story tower overwhelming the highest current point int Old Town- the  Locarno's current  tower. Nothing else in the vicinity is that high. It takes over a car park too I see. Surely privacy in peoples' gardens is suddenly going to be conspicuous by its absence.

What is it about developers and large rampant erections?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 06:18:54 PM »
What is it about developers and large rampant erections?

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 07:31:35 PM »
It's a bloke thing.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline OTTed

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 08:10:39 AM »
I did a bit of asking round and it appears there were +\- a couple of hundred people who went to see the exhibition.
It doesn't sound lots until you think of the context, i.e. afternoons only, in summer, tucked away out of sight. I have heard that in fact it is seen as a very decent number.
Apparently the responses were pretty much universally positive.
The consultation runs for 8 weeks so there must be quite a long time left to register points of view.

Personally I feel it is what we need and hope it will happen. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:29:06 AM by OTTed »

Offline OTTed

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »
so there is a while to feed back.

Here is the link to the plans and the information required to comment:

Any comments you may have on the draft document must be submitted in writing to the contact details below before 5.00pm on Tuesday 24th September 2013.  All comments received will be considered by the Local Planning Authority which will then consider whether or not it should propose amendments to the draft Brief, or recommend to the Planning Committee that it be approved for Development Control purposes.

Written comments relating to the documents may be sent free to:

Masterplanning and Design Team
Planning Department
Swindon Borough Council
Freepost SCE5251
5th Floor Wat Tyler House
Beckhampton Street
Swindon
SN1 2JH

Or e-mailed to: design&masterplanning@swindon.gov.uk

Should you require any further information, please contact the Masterplanning and Design Team on 01793 466328/01793 466744 or by e-mail to:

design&masterplanning@swindon.gov.uk