Author Topic: About this forum: 'Leisure, Walking, Running, Cycling, Flying & Driving'  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
About this forum: 'Leisure, Walking, Running, Cycling, Flying & Driving'

Photograph [by me]: 08.05 hrs 15th July 2013 near the start of a 6.9 mile morning walk.

The picture was taken from Paul Parker's memorial bench [SU 214 776] on the Ridgeway approx 1.2 miles due South of Liddington Hill Fort.  Click the thumbnail to open the full picture in a new window.  The hill fort is on the far right of the picture [North], Chiseldon visible in the centre of the picture [North East], Burderop Hill is visible to the East and Ogbourne St George and Marlborough (neither is visible) is somewhere on the far left [South]. 
The naked-eye view is gorgeous - Paul Parker's bench is perfectly placed.

Tig & I recently spent a fortnight travelling round the UK visiting some places familiar to us, and others we'd never seen before. Often we'd use Talkswindon, Facebook and Twitter to post short updates on where we were and what we were doing.  We were both surprised when we realised that quite a lot of people were genuinely interested in what we were doing and, (this is the important bit), wanted more information because they were/are interested in visiting the same places at some future point. 

It also occurred to us that there are plenty of websites which provide activity-specific information and discussion topics, but very few which are more 'generally' informative and 'chatty', and we think that this is a niche in which Talkswindon members and readers might wish to share, inquire and discuss various leisure, fitness and sport activities.

'Leisure, Walking, Running, Cycling, Flying & Driving' isn't a 'Swindon Specific' forum so we invite members to post whatever they like about wherever they like, whether that be in West Swindon or the West Indies. 

We encourage new & existing members to post links to other websites which are relevant to the topic under discussion :thumb:

We'd love new and existing members to upload pictures, maps etc. and, in order to make uploading much easier, we've removed the size limit on attachments to posts.

New members can read a 'how-to' guide on making posts here: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Posting   A short explanation of how to attach pictures and other documents to your post can be found at the bottom of the 4th paragraph :)

If this forum proves successful we'll turn it into a forum 'category' in its own right, in which case we'll create sub forums for x,y and z as they are needed.

Tig and I will be spending a lot of our leisure time walking and cycling and we intend to make regular posts so we hope that others will share their experience & knowledge and that everyone who is interested will chip into the conversations, even if they're not doing the activities :)

nb: We'll continue to treat comment, content & commercial spammers exactly as we do elsewhere on the forum although we will allow some latitude for commercial posting if and where the admin team and members deem them to be genuinely relevant to the topic :)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 01:00:29 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Muggins

I'll tell you about this one, because it looks like it will be the furthest I'll be getting this year. 

Mr Muggins was off doing his Weymouth break last week, so I kept the trolley boosted and took it out of Penhill at Grafton Road end and across Cricklade Road onto the pathway/cycle route that passes the park and ride (derelict but with an interesting plant mix along it's fence and some interesting art work done by artist unknown with a pair of bolt croppers) .

I think the only reason the route is there is because it was left as a land drain, but the trees have matured nicely and it was, on hot day, a little bit of heaven in their shade.  No one else about, so it was a bit of an adventure, especially as I can't move more than 4.25 mph - i.e. if anyone was up to no good, I couldn't run!!

At the other end (Nythe Road - a bit of the old Ermin Street) you can turn right to the Kingsdown pub or left to the Co-op and garden centre.  I chose the latter with the intention of treating myself to lunch, but decided instead to buy  a plant, the hectic pink Phygelis and a book and CD of bird song.

Coming back the basket on the front looked like a window box.

I had no trouble crossing Cricklade Road going or coming back.  Just took my time and used the middle island.

Penhill itself was almost as peaceful and enough people take care of their gardens to make them worth riding past too.

Then with this weather there is the promise of a ride around Seven Fields too - do it NOW!.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
I'll tell you about this one, because it looks like it will be the furthest I'll be getting this year. 

Mr Muggins was off doing his Weymouth break last week, so I kept the trolley boosted and took it out of Penhill at Grafton Road end and across Cricklade Road onto the pathway/cycle route that passes the park and ride (derelict but with an interesting plant mix along it's fence and some interesting art work done by artist unknown with a pair of bolt croppers) ......

Thanks Muggins :)

Last night, at work, I spent some time reflecting on your post because it occurred to me that it would be very nice to be able to publish scooter & wheelchair friendly walks/routes as well as those for the more able-bodied. 

Offline Muggins

S'Ok Geoff, the only trouble is I can only go a few miles out and back.  In general the cycle routes around here are very good, they don't always join up but the scenery always looks different coming back and most of them over Abbey Meads follow the old hedgerows etc. 

Getting to them is another story, lumpy pavements, a choice of route can be risky when dropped kerbs don't match up.  I had a ride down to TKMax, down (or so I thought) Pinehurst Road, a couple of weeks ago, not to be recommended at all.  I went to meet a friend - a long time supporter of disability groups in this town, so much so, he really ought to be getting official recognition for it. He is of course very interested in my relatively new love affair with the Titanic and suggested that I write down the problems I had getting down there.  I suggested that we wait until next time when I will take the other side of Pinehurst road to see if it as bad.  I will also take my camera. 

Your idea is a good one and I notice that they have produced a comprehensive walking and cycling booklet for West Swindon, but not for other areas of town. 

I'm not a great coach traveller but last year when we went up to the Applefest at Tenbury on Wells I asked about taking the trolley, and Barnes Coaches said it would be ok if I had someone to take it apart for me.  But on the day, the driver just dropped the side panel and pushed it into the luggage place - brilliant.

The Applefest and Tenbury was no access problem - except the blooming rain.  And I highly recommend it as a trip, through stunning countryside and the town itself is very pretty. The Applefest itself was smaller than I thought but still a very pleasant event and the cakes were out of this world and it's right off the main  street so getting into the town was no problem at all. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)