Author Topic: Swindon Commercial Services - 'Decoupled' Company To Be Re-Coupled To Council ?  (Read 11169 times)

Offline Muggins

Farmers used to be given the Hay at Seven Fields, good Stuff, high quality and organic, and as they didn't charge to take it, no money changed hands and it was a win-win situation all round.

Then we had a Ragwort epidemic (we learned a lot then about the right plant and the wrong plant) and no amount of Ragwort pulling by the Borough and us volunteers seemed to reduce it.  Ragwort is deadly to farm stock, or at least the sort that feed on hay. The farmer refused to take it for nothing.  They had to pay for him or someone to come in and take it - and remember this isn't a little patch but a darn site easier to take than a verge.  Eventually we persuaded them to buy their own forage harvester, by then they had 'created' several other hay meadows so needed to do it anyway.  Once the harvester was purchased it did bring the cost down.

One of our volunteers steadfastly picked all the ragwort in two fields and had managed to eradicate it, so the farmer still take those two fields and there was a time when a Organic farmer had his feed barn burned down and he took the hay from those two fields to replace it. It might be him that's still taking it.

The only essential management at Seven Fields is cutting the hay at the right time and taking it away. They mow green paths about 5 times each summer and they have been beautifully done this year, if a little wide - depends on the base line of the machine they are driving. It also serves to protect the meadows because people walk on them and not the meadows, necessary in such an urban site.  They also do the edges of the cycle routes it stops the vegetation dropping over them.

The Ragwort co-incided with them digging out what is now Thamesdown Drive.

If you want to see a wildflower verge that I approve of, try the one on the way in to B&Q.     
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
SCS's re-coupling is due to happen on 1st November apparently.

Offline Mickraker

• Strawberry Fields Forever!
The re coupling looks to have happened  :-\ http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10793742.Swindon_councillors_to_join_SCS_board/
My non aggresive posts are my own opinion and represent me, myself and I only!

Offline Muggins

We were only saying today that although there is a fair bit of work going on around Penhill, (mostly roofing) we've not seen one SCS van.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)