Author Topic: Animal bedding manufacture aka bio-mass energy generation at Cheney Manor  (Read 8231 times)

Offline Jules

Does anyone know anything about Pure Green UK - the UK branch or off-shoot of Belgian animal bedding company Hippofan - whom Forward Swindon have helped find premises at Cheney Manor Industrial Estate? Their industrial process - and primary business focus - involves rendering waste wood and bio mass into their commercial animal bedding product, and yet they are being lauded as a bio-mass energy generator. Apparently submitted a planning application in April. Any ideas on what's involved with a bio-mass incinerator sited close to the centre of town?

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Pure Green Ltd  is a start up. A month after the company was incorporated one of the Directors, Timothy Howse resigned. Timothy was or is the UK representative of  Hippofan, the Belgian horse bedding supplier. Companies House records do not show Pure Green Ltd as being part of a group but then Hippofan is not registered in the UK.

PURE GREEN LIMITED
1 CRICKLADE COURT
OLD TOWN
SWINDON
WILTSHIRE
UNITED KINGDOM
SN1 3EY
Company No. 08364642
Date of Incorporation: 17/01/2013

Pure Green's business is shown to be "Recycling Of Non-Metal Waste & Scrap". Maybe they are supplying wood shavings for horse bedding, which I'm told is a preferred bedding these days, and also collecting it for disposal in an incinerator. I'm told that the wood chips do not form compost very easily.

Looks like a typical start up that public money could be disposed of in.
(Still look on the bright side. Today's Private Eye is carrying a story about Thanet Council secretly bailing out a ferry company which has now gone bust anyway, leaving them in debt.)
What's it all about?

Offline Des Moffatt

• Hello !
Dear TSers.
I have created a biomass campaign block for emails of Cllrs, resident association officers and selected opinion leaders likely to be effected by the scrap wood incinerators proposed for the Cheney Manor site. If you would rather not be included please let me know and indeed if you know someone you think should be added, I will do that.
Peter and I met with planning officers today and told them of our concerns detailing much. For example the cut and paste nature of the supporting documentation with the application and the particulate contamination that can be expected from the smoke stacks.
There was no clear indication as to how they might deal with the application, ie , reject it under delegated powers or take it to committee with a recommendation to approve. As some will know already, Jim and I have "called it in" that is used our powers to require the matter to be dealt with by committee should officials be minded to approve. We also met with the Director of Investment at Forward Swindon yesterday and incredibly he told us that he had little knowledge of the process yet Forward Swindon fronted a publicity stunt complete with posed picture as the application was submitted.
There had been a long running battle involving a village in the Nottingham area opposing an application for exactly the same process. Theirs is half the size of the one proposed on the former Square D site of Cheney Manor Trading Estate.
See this Webb site http://www.elkesleyagainstincineration.co.uk/home.html

Update
The applicant asked to meet with Councillors to explain their proposal. I was consulted on that request and advised that I was content with that provided all Councillors are invited to the same “show” at the same time.
That event will now take place on June 19th. There had been no indications whether Officers have come to a conclusion on this application, we asked only Tuesday of this week.

Des Moffatt
Postscript for TSers
Above is my email to residents groups and others of Rodbourne Cheney. A full line of smiley faces for the person who finds the irrefutable proof that the ‘non technical’ support document is a cut and paste jobbey.
Councillor Peter Watts as a member of the Planning Committee will make no comments on the merits of the application so that he is not hamstrung  by pre-determination claims should the matter be referred to committee.

Offline Weebleman

Des Moffatt
Postscript for TSers
Above is my email to residents groups and others of Rodbourne Cheney. A full line of smiley faces for the person who finds the irrefutable proof that the ‘non technical’ support document is a cut and paste jobbey.
Councillor Peter Watts as a member of the Planning Committee will make no comments on the merits of the application so that he is not hamstrung  by pre-determination claims should the matter be referred to committee.

Des,
As Square D is within a 10 minute walk from me I am naturally interested in this. Can you please guide us to the actual 'non technical' support document that you refer to? (I know a man who has plenty of time on his hands to scrutinise it!)

From a wider viewpoint, has any decision yet been made concerning the future development of CM Estate? It was discussed some while ago on TS and various options were mooted, but not confirmed. Is it planned to be upgraded as an industrial/trading estate, housing, or mixture of the two? Also wasn't there at one time plans to put a major link road/rapid transport route through the middle?

Whatever the plans are the one thing that is certain is that the place needs knocking down and redeveloped by some means.

Cheers.... WM

Offline Des Moffatt

• Hello !
This is the address bar for it. Planning Department created a really good public access system for planning some years ago but the ICT people fixed it and it’s very hard to find now. Application number S/13/0458
http://pa.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage
No current magic plans for Cheney Manor, some dreamers have been offering opinion though. I take the view that it is valuable employment land and while some of the buildings, NOT ALL, are past their sell by date the site remains ideal for light engineering and/or hi-tech industry. It has all the permissions and service infrastructure and is ecological in terms of the journey to work for so much of Swindon’s population. The body of knowledge from BREL, The Plessey Empire and other engineering activity supplemented by Honda and BMW and their supply chains remains in Swindon in large part.
Cheney Manor is not a proper place for House Builders to acquire the permission to build and then allow to stagnate as they have been doing since 2008 everywhere else.

Offline Jarvis

This is the address bar for it. Planning Department created a really good public access system for planning some years ago but the ICT people fixed it and it’s very hard to find now. Application number S/13/0458
http://pa.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/simpleSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

Looks like I.T fixed it good  :-\

Error
Server Problem

A server problem prevented the webpage from displaying. Try again later to see if the problem has been corrected.

Offline Muggins

Des, it wouldn't be that you get to this through your SBC intranet thingy and that's why it won't let us in?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Weebleman

Des, it wouldn't be that you get to this through your SBC intranet thingy and that's why it won't let us in?

If you use Des' link then on the "error" page click the SEARCH button and enter the application number S/13/0458 that Des gave, you'll find it works.

Edit to add: 7Fields gets a mention, but you'll be OK :)

Offline Muggins

Ah, I remember reading that before then, chap from Whitworth Road Res. Assoc. alerted me a couple of months ago. But it was the bit about who could prove it was a cut and paste job, if someone could cut and paste it here, it would be easier.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
The SBC public planning portal is a piece of crap.  I wonder how many thousands of pounds it cost us each year.

Probably best if you don't get frustrated battling with the portal and use this link to most of/all (?) the relevant documents:

http://pa.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=ML2XIYPT04V00

I suggest readers download/copy the documents which interest them without delay because there is no guarantee that they'll be available via that link for long.  As I said, the SBC planning portal is crap.

Readers will doubtless notice that the document title for the non-technical summary is spelt incorrectly.  Kind of reminds me of when Rikki Hunt and Rod Bluh Launched the WiFi'asco with a mis-spelt and therefore non-working email.

Comments from Whitworth Road residents are particularly interesting, especially the information relating to the 107 Biomass plants operating in America of which 85 failed to meet or exceeded Federal and/or State environmental pollution levels in 2012.

I look forward to seeing a TS analysis of the non-technical summary. :popcorn:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Ah, I remember reading that before then, chap from Whitworth Road Res. Assoc. alerted me a couple of months ago. But it was the bit about who could prove it was a cut and paste job, if someone could cut and paste it here, it would be easier.

www.talkswindon.org/planning/Pure%20Green%20Biomass%20Plant/S_13_0458-NON_TECHNICAL_SUMMERY-385058.pdf

Here you go, that link will make it easier and more reliable to get at. 

It's 19 pages long so I suggest just cutting and pasting the really interesting bits.

Sing out if any of the other docs should be 'backed up' on the TS server.

Offline Jules

Let's be under no illusion that, contrary to the Adver's big fanfare  in its 19th April issue around "Green energy plant setting it's sights on the town" (http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10365795.Green_energy_plant_sets_sights_on_town/), the principal commercial concern of Pure Green is the manufacture of animal bedding.

The CHP green energy element of their proposal, which Forward Swindon are getting so excited about, is actually an enabler of their manufacturing process in the first instance, and a by-product of it by Phase 2.

If I were a Belgian business owner looking to expand my animal bedding brand into the UK I would look for :

Cheap rent/readily available industrial premises
A local source of waste wood and bio mass - from both the building trade - so perhaps a location that was ear-marked for a number of new housing developments - and from agricultural land that has been re-purposed for bio-mass crop provision
A Local Authority keen to be seen to be investing in sustainable energy solutions for whom my company's CHP angle could prove extremely seductive

It would also be extremely handy if that LA's own waste processing capability were able to provide us with a steady supply of Solid Recovered Fuel on our doorstep, such that we can be seen to be supporting local environmental and commercial policies. That would be a fabulous double whammy!

Don't get me wrong, all this makes sound commercial sense, and Swindon is the ideal location on all these counts. The only bit of it which forces me to jam my tongue firmly into my cheek is the issue of Environmental Impact, and how Forward Swindon are jumping on the Green Energy bandwagon without being entirely open about the principal manufacturing activity being proposed, nor about the 24m rising to 30m chimney stack that will belch emissions into the surrounding atmosphere.

The Non-technical summary seems extremely confused on the location of the operation's proposed site. Shaw Forest Park is referred to as scrub-land; there is no mention of Nova Hreod school; residential areas are identified as being 'farther afield', although the nearest homes are described as being 500m away. Also the document states in 5.8.1 that there are no ecological habitats to be affected, and then in the very next sentence cites 7 areas for which an impact assessment needs to be conducted.

The 'do-nothing' option presented in this summary is, heaven forfend, to continue to source animal bedding from the continent, and incur the transport costs and fossil fuel consumption that entails. (Needed to get ff's in somewhere.) And who in their right mind would entertain that option when Swindon Council are more than willing to choke their residents? Again.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Let's be under no illusion that, contrary to the Adver's big fanfare  in its 19th April issue around "Green energy plant setting it's sights on the town" (http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10365795.Green_energy_plant_sets_sights_on_town/), the principal commercial concern of Pure Green is the manufacture of animal bedding.

The CHP green energy element of their proposal, which Forward Swindon are getting so excited about, is actually an enabler of their manufacturing process in the first instance, and a by-product of it by Phase 2.

If I were a Belgian business owner looking to expand my animal bedding brand into the UK I would look for :

Cheap rent/readily available industrial premises
A local source of waste wood and bio mass - from both the building trade - so perhaps a location that was ear-marked for a number of new housing developments - and from agricultural land that has been re-purposed for bio-mass crop provision
A Local Authority keen to be seen to be investing in sustainable energy solutions for whom my company's CHP angle could prove extremely seductive

It would also be extremely handy if that LA's own waste processing capability were able to provide us with a steady supply of Solid Recovered Fuel on our doorstep, such that we can be seen to be supporting local environmental and commercial policies. That would be a fabulous double whammy!

Don't get me wrong, all this makes sound commercial sense, and Swindon is the ideal location on all these counts. The only bit of it which forces me to jam my tongue firmly into my cheek is the issue of Environmental Impact, and how Forward Swindon are jumping on the Green Energy bandwagon without being entirely open about the principal manufacturing activity being proposed, nor about the 24m rising to 30m chimney stack that will belch emissions into the surrounding atmosphere.

The Non-technical summary seems extremely confused on the location of the operation's proposed site. Shaw Forest Park is referred to as scrub-land; there is no mention of Nova Hreod school; residential areas are identified as being 'farther afield', although the nearest homes are described as being 500m away. Also the document states in 5.8.1 that there are no ecological habitats to be affected, and then in the very next sentence cites 7 areas for which an impact assessment needs to be conducted.

The 'do-nothing' option presented in this summary is, heaven forfend, to continue to source animal bedding from the continent, and incur the transport costs and fossil fuel consumption that entails. (Needed to get ff's in somewhere.) And who in their right mind would entertain that option when Swindon Council are more than willing to choke their residents? Again.

Ah, so the 'energy from waste' element is solely to provide energy for the processing plant itself - thereby reducing 'purchased' energy costs and the costs incurred by waste disposal, i.e, transporting waste to landfill ?

Also, Forward Swindon seem to suffer from a transparency deficit - it's difficult, in fact nigh-on impossible to find out where and how the £many-millions of taxpayers pounds sunk into the 'regeneration' company has been spent.  This strikes me as another example of a publicly funded body in Swindon shrouded behind politically generated smoke of obfuscation.

Offline Jules

[/quote]

Ah, so the 'energy from waste' element is solely to provide energy for the processing plant itself - thereby reducing 'purchased' energy costs and the costs incurred by waste disposal, i.e, transporting waste to landfill ?

Precisely. The energy from waste piece, which seems to form the main basis for Forward Swindon's jubilation on scoring this 'major win' for the town, is only part of Phase 2, which doesn't yet seem to have any specific time-frame.

Also, Forward Swindon seem to suffer from a transparency deficit - it's difficult, in fact nigh-on impossible to find out where and how the £many-millions of taxpayers pounds sunk into the 'regeneration' company has been spent.  This strikes me as another example of a publicly funded body in Swindon shrouded behind politically generated smoke of obfuscation.

Actually makes me wonder whether Pure Green are the ones shrouding themselves and Forward Swindon in the (waste wood incinerated but none-the-less sustainably sourced and very green, despite particulate contamination) smoke of obfuscation.

[/quote]

Offline Weebleman

Good post Jules.

So do you mean that where they say in the document....
1.1.3 Associated with the wood pellet manufacturing process is a biomass combined heat and
power (CHP) plant that will provide all of the heat and power required to operate the facility.
The biomass CHP plant have a combined generating capacity of about 31 MWe, and surplus
renewable electricity, sufficient to power about two thirds of the homes in Swindon, will be
exported to the local distribution network

....it's really a bit of a Green herring?

If so isn't this a bit misleading?

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Put your "Electrical hat" on for a minute Weebleman. "31mW, enough for 2/3 of the houses in Swindon."
31mW is a lot of power! This is not an insignificant power-station.

I'll find out about the wood-pellet part as well. As far as I understood it, the bedding for horses is wood shavings, not pellets.  (Thinks: If the horses get the pellets stuck in their hooves, I've got just the thing to get them out. I wondered when I would need that!)

http://news.mongabay.com/bioenergy/2007/11/uk-opens-first-large-scale-30mw-biomass.html

A search of the web shows that these things are popping up all over the place. As usual, there are considerable government grants to cover the building costs.

The link above shows that it takes:
300,000 tonnes of sustainably harvested biomass a year to generate 30 MW of electricity

Where is all the wood going to come from and how will it get transported to the site? (My leylandii might come in useful after all.)

What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

Wasn,t biomass supposed to be willw. Specially grown.  Roves farm was investing in the growing of it and i think some sort of biomass plant but didn.t get planning permission. I can.t remember the exact story.   Its renewable willow i mean.

Offline Weebleman

Put your "Electrical hat" on for a minute Weebleman. "31mW, enough for 2/3 of the houses in Swindon."
31mW is a lot of power! This is not an insignificant power-station.

Indeed, 31 mW would hardly drive my walkman.  ;D

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
mW....MW...Whoops!
What's it all about?

Offline Weebleman

mW....MW...Whoops!
@60A per mains incoming fuse, if that's still the case, then you're right, not a great deal after all.

What concerns me about the current application is the number of lorries necessary to bring in all this wood and take out the horse bedding product. Roads around here are already clogged up as it is without considering the additional affects from the future Tadpole development. I know everyone immediately jumps on the "traffic" bandwagon (no pun intended) when objecting to planning apps, but in this case I think there is real cause for concern. The other thing is that they say it will have little negative visual impact, and then go on to show that parts of it are three times the height of the current buildings.   :WTF:

Offline Jules

The figures quoted about power output are extremely confusing and inconsistent within the Non-Technical Summary:

Para 1.1.3 refers to 31 MWe output (which from further reading would require in the region of 300 000 tons of biomass per annum to generate)

However, para 3.1.1.iii refers to Phase 2 of the development delivering a net 3MWe to the local distribution network.

Which is correct?

What is also uncertain is how much stuff, and of what nature, needs to be transported into the plant. The doc says that 50 000 tons per annum of bio-mass and waste wood is required to fuel the boiler to generate 50 000 tpa of animal bedding.

This begs the questions:

How much raw material, ie virgin timber, is required for the bedding itself? Where specifically will it come from within a 50m radius of Swindon? And is it being sustainably sourced?

Also, the document needs to be much clearer on the quantity of previously treated waste wood it would look to incinerate, as it is the potential contaminants rising through the chimney from this type of appropriated fuel which would be of greatest concern.

All in all I fear this is an extremely misleading summary of what is planned for CM, and it would appear that Forward Swindon have either knowingly or otherwise got hold of the wrong end of the stick. How ironic that the site in question is the former home of EasyLiving. If only.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
mW....MW...Whoops!
@60A per mains incoming fuse, if that's still the case, then you're right, not a great deal after all.

What concerns me about the current application is the number of lorries necessary to bring in all this wood and take out the horse bedding product. Roads around here are already clogged up as it is without considering the additional affects from the future Tadpole development. I know everyone immediately jumps on the "traffic" bandwagon (no pun intended) when objecting to planning apps, but in this case I think there is real cause for concern. The other thing is that they say it will have little negative visual impact, and then go on to show that parts of it are three times the height of the current buildings.   :WTF:

Cheney Manor in its heyday would have been a busy industrial estate with the likes of garrads, plessey and square D.  Mind you Swindon and its traffic has changed a lot since then!

The logical thing to do would be to build some railway sidings by the Swindon - Gloucester line and bring the stuff in by rail - so of course it'll never happen.